The Student Room Group
Liverpool Hope University
Liverpool
Visit website

Is hope a good university?

I've applied to Liverpool Hope University to do nutrition and sports & exercise science and I've applied to Liverpool John Moores University for nutrition and sports and exercise science as two separate courses. I really want to do both (at hope) but I've heard bad things about hope and I'm not so sure its a good idea anymore. I'm not sure if I'd be making a good trade of getting to go to both but going to a not good uni. Any advice
Reply 1
Original post by Leigh232323
I've applied to Liverpool Hope University to do nutrition and sports & exercise science and I've applied to Liverpool John Moores University for nutrition and sports and exercise science as two separate courses. I really want to do both (at hope) but I've heard bad things about hope and I'm not so sure its a good idea anymore. I'm not sure if I'd be making a good trade of getting to go to both but going to a not good uni. Any advice

I'm starting at Hope myself this September. From what I have seen on the internet, it appears to be an excellent university. I think reviews vary however depending on the subject you will be studying. But overall from what I have seen, Hope is a great university :smile:. Have you been to an open day? I have and I had a great time, everyone was very friendly and caring and the departments, utilities etc were great.
Liverpool
Visit website
Original post by Leigh232323

My knowledge for those course specifics are next to non, as that isn't what I have studied but LHU has a really bad rep for a reason and unfortunately I found out how bad the hard way. I have been to (and graduated) from both LJMU and LHU and LJMU is far far better overall. But, I can understand you'd rather do the combined course and I went to LHU for my second course because LJMU didn't offer it too and for me personally, it's more important to pick a course you want over a uni. In terms of course specifics, I know people who did sports and exercise science at LJMU and they absolutely loved it. I also know people who did the joint nutrition and sports and exercise science at LHU and they really liked that too. Sorry if my mixed response hasn't helped you made a clearer decision, but I hope my input/insight has helped a little at least
Reply 3
Can I ask why it has a really bad rep? I am starting LHU and this comment has made me a bit nervous.
Reply 4
Original post by xashleax
Can I ask why it has a really bad rep? I am starting LHU and this comment has made me a bit nervous.

I'm sure every university has people who have had bad experiences. But overall in my opinion the majority of opinions are good coming from LHU. I personally can't wait to go this September
Original post by xashleax

The teaching standards are poor in comparison to other unis and the social life is also really poor compared to other places. Like I said though, some people do still enjoy it there (just not many from what I've heard of other students!) and a course you want to do is more important. Sometimes I say I regret going, but in reality, I don't because I wanted to study in Liverpool and I wanted to do the course I did so that was my best/only option really
Reply 6
By all objective measures, the teaching at LHU is very good, they punch well above their weight on this. Social side, sure. It's a small institution and they don't have the money or resources of the other gaffs. But you are ten minutes from town on a bus or a train, and town is full of social opportunities. Never understood why students wanted their social lives organising for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending