The Student Room Group

University in Scotland 4 years??

So if I did university in Scotland I’d be studying for 4 years whereas if I did it in England it’s 3 years for the same qualification at the end??
I’ve been thinking about going to Stirling university but I don’t want to do an extra year
I'm not sure about the details or how you would get it, but I think they pay for your last year in university.
Original post by Iris37
So if I did university in Scotland I’d be studying for 4 years whereas if I did it in England it’s 3 years for the same qualification at the end??
I’ve been thinking about going to Stirling university but I don’t want to do an extra year

Hi! Yes, most undergraduate degrees in Scotland are 4 year courses, whilst in England many are 3 years. I believe this is because in the Scottish system you can do more modules in year 1 and 2 that aren't related to you degree - for instance, I has business, biology/physics, and language modules I could choose as my optional courses in 1st and 2nd year, in addition to my mandatory Psychology courses.
Most people do the full 4 years - however there are options to apply for direct entry into 2nd year but this does require additional or greater grades. The requirement for direct entry into 2nd year is dependent on the course applied for, as its availability and grade requirements can differ between courses and universities.
Despite this, there are 3 year courses sometimes available, but is often university/course dependent.

I hope that helps! If you have any questions I'm more than happy to help :smile:

-Claire
4th year Psychology student
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest