The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Global Excellence Scholarship

Hey!

Whether you have questions about the application process, what to expect when securing the scholarship or just want to have a chat with other applicants or scholarship holders - this thread is for you!

I’m a Global Excellence Scholarship holder myself and am happy to answer any questions or help point you in the right direction to find your answer!

Jelka
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey there Jelka I was recently going through University of Warwick guidelines for international students to pay fee and in the brochure it is mentioned that students needs it is important for students to pay fee with the help of their official Warwick.ac.uk email ID but I haven’t received any official student email ID from the University yet, It would be great if you can help me with this issue :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hey Jelka! First off, thank you so much for making this thread I kept getting redirected to the 2021 page and that too wasn't all that active:/ Now the query I have about WUGES is quite generic but I'm as anxious as an applicant as every other so here's a set of questions;

> What grades should I have for me to rest assured of getting either the full or 13k scholarship? My entire University plan depends on this scholarship so this is something I hope gets addressed by someone here [for context, my predicted grades are 98.5% best of four; CBSE]

> What's the order in which the panel will look at the application- do they first see the academic elements and then move to the essay as a tiebreaker among candidates or is it the other way around? And what is the respective weightage regarded to the essay and the academic scores?

Thank you so much, I'm sure I'll add more questions eventually but that's all for now
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by kawal9212
Hey there Jelka I was recently going through University of Warwick guidelines for international students to pay fee and in the brochure it is mentioned that students needs it is important for students to pay fee with the help of their official Warwick.ac.uk email ID but I haven’t received any official student email ID from the University yet, It would be great if you can help me with this issue :smile:

Hello!

As I don’t pay fees (cause of my scholarship), I’m not sure by when you need to have paid, but I know from paying for accommodation that payments are usually not due before the first week of term! I got my Warwick email address only around September time. But you can always contact Student Finances ([email protected]) with any queries and I’m sure they’ll be happy to help!

Jelka
Original post by hyrwhsiii
Hey Jelka! First off, thank you so much for making this thread I kept getting redirected to the 2021 page and that too wasn't all that active:/ Now the query I have about WUGES is quite generic but I'm as anxious as an applicant as every other so here's a set of questions;

> What grades should I have for me to rest assured of getting either the full or 13k scholarship? My entire University plan depends on this scholarship so this is something I hope gets addressed by someone here [for context, my predicted grades are 98.5% best of four; CBSE]

> What's the order in which the panel will look at the application- do they first see the academic elements and then move to the essay as a tiebreaker among candidates or is it the other way around? And what is the respective weightage regarded to the essay and the academic scores?

Thank you so much, I'm sure I'll add more questions eventually but that's all for now

Hey!

As I am not on the selection panel, but just a scholarship holder, I’m afraid I can’t really tell you anything about how people are selected and what grades you need to achieve. I’m also pretty sure the scholarship team wouldn’t give out such information, so I don’t think it’s useful sending them an email about it… What I can tell you, is that I got a 1,1 in my German Abitur (we have grades from 1-6, 1,0 being the best, 4,0 the last pass grade) and with that grade, I got a full scholarship. However, it’s really hard to compare grades from different countries, so you can’t just say that a 1,0 would equal a 100% I’m afraid!
When I applied, we also didn’t have to do the essay, but had to answer 4 questions if I remember correctly. I’m sure you’ve already read the FAQ, but that’s the only information I can give you about how the select people:

”We will be using a number of different criteria to shortlist suitable candidates, including:

The strength of your academic profile as stated on your UCAS form or IFP application form
That you are Overseas for fees purposes
That you submitted your application to the University of Warwick before 26 January 2022
That you are planning to start your studies at the University of Warwick in the autumn of 2022
That you are self-funded (i.e. not receiving a full tuition fee scholarship from another source
The strength of the answers stated on your application form.

All of these criteria will be considered individually and also compared against the pool of applicants for the scholarship. Scholarships will be allocated across all departments to recognise academic excellence in all areas.”

Jelka
Hi Jelka,

What would you say made your essays (or answers) stand out the most?
Original post by Warwick Students
Hello!

As I don’t pay fees (cause of my scholarship), I’m not sure by when you need to have paid, but I know from paying for accommodation that payments are usually not due before the first week of term! I got my Warwick email address only around September time. But you can always contact Student Finances ([email protected]) with any queries and I’m sure they’ll be happy to help!

Jelka

Thanks for help really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by Wonkagenius
Hi Jelka,

What would you say made your essays (or answers) stand out the most?

Hey!

Being honest was really important for me. I don’t believe in trying to make yourself sound better than you are or pretending to be interested in something that you are actually not passionate about. I feel like when I write about things that I love and actually want to achieve or change in the world, it comes across that I’m being genuine! They don’t expect you to have changed the world already - after all this is an UG scholarship, but I feel like you need to show that you have the ambition to put the skills you learn at Warwick to good use in the wider world. To change something and to help people in whatever capacity that may be!
For example I couldn’t have pretended to have particularly enjoyed sciences in school - I acknowledge that people can achieve great things with skills in that area, but that’s just not me. I could have easily said that I loved doing that, cause I still had good grades, but there’s nothing to really say about there. Instead I talked about volunteering for a theatre project for children with cognitive delays. Something that is not academic at all, nothing I’ve won an award for or even good grades. But I absolutely loved doing it and could definitely see myself working in this field later in life. And I said that the scholarship would enable me to attend uni and get the necessary knowledge to bring such projects to life!
So, in short, just be yourself and maybe reflect a bit before you start writing. Think about what actually makes you excellent - apart from academic success and skills that look good on a CV!
I hope this helps!

Jelka
Hey!

Whether you have questions about the application process, what to expect when securing the scholarship or just want to have a chat with other applicants or scholarship holders - this thread is for you!

I’m a Global Excellence Scholarship holder myself and am happy to answer any questions or help point you in the right direction to find your answer!

Jelka

Hey Jelka
I applied for this scholarship, firmed my offer, but have worries concerning my grades compared to others. I got AAAAA (chemistry physics maths further maths biology) grades and applied for Electrical Engineering and got an offer.

My country doesn’t have A* grade system, but the highest grade I A.
Do you think my A grade would be equivalent to a simple A under the uk system?
Would my grades be considered lower ?
Does the selection panel take into account reference letter?
Do you think it’s a disadvantage given that I’m black from Africa? Is there any black student who got the scholarship ?

Bradley
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey!

Being honest was really important for me. I don’t believe in trying to make yourself sound better than you are or pretending to be interested in something that you are actually not passionate about. I feel like when I write about things that I love and actually want to achieve or change in the world, it comes across that I’m being genuine! They don’t expect you to have changed the world already - after all this is an UG scholarship, but I feel like you need to show that you have the ambition to put the skills you learn at Warwick to good use in the wider world. To change something and to help people in whatever capacity that may be!
For example I couldn’t have pretended to have particularly enjoyed sciences in school - I acknowledge that people can achieve great things with skills in that area, but that’s just not me. I could have easily said that I loved doing that, cause I still had good grades, but there’s nothing to really say about there. Instead I talked about volunteering for a theatre project for children with cognitive delays. Something that is not academic at all, nothing I’ve won an award for or even good grades. But I absolutely loved doing it and could definitely see myself working in this field later in life. And I said that the scholarship would enable me to attend uni and get the necessary knowledge to bring such projects to life!
So, in short, just be yourself and maybe reflect a bit before you start writing. Think about what actually makes you excellent - apart from academic success and skills that look good on a CV!
I hope this helps!

Jelka

I’m really regretting what I wrote on my application, I feel like I could have done better or it’s not just perfect or it does not show excellence or whatsoever.
Plus the decision date is approaching and more I’m panicking, reading over my application every single minute and regretting each line for I could have done better and believe others just did far more better.
Hey!

As I am not on the selection panel, but just a scholarship holder, I’m afraid I can’t really tell you anything about how people are selected and what grades you need to achieve. I’m also pretty sure the scholarship team wouldn’t give out such information, so I don’t think it’s useful sending them an email about it… What I can tell you, is that I got a 1,1 in my German Abitur (we have grades from 1-6, 1,0 being the best, 4,0 the last pass grade) and with that grade, I got a full scholarship. However, it’s really hard to compare grades from different countries, so you can’t just say that a 1,0 would equal a 100% I’m afraid!
When I applied, we also didn’t have to do the essay, but had to answer 4 questions if I remember correctly. I’m sure you’ve already read the FAQ, but that’s the only information I can give you about how the select people:

”We will be using a number of different criteria to shortlist suitable candidates, including:

The strength of your academic profile as stated on your UCAS form or IFP application form
That you are Overseas for fees purposes
That you submitted your application to the University of Warwick before 26 January 2022
That you are planning to start your studies at the University of Warwick in the autumn of 2022
That you are self-funded (i.e. not receiving a full tuition fee scholarship from another source
The strength of the answers stated on your application form.

All of these criteria will be considered individually and also compared against the pool of applicants for the scholarship. Scholarships will be allocated across all departments to recognise academic excellence in all areas.”

Jelka

Thank you so much, this was very helpful!
Reply 11
Can you tell us the terms and conditions to hold the scholarship. Do we need to score a specific percentage in each semester to hold the scholarship through out the year ?
When did you apply for the scholarship?
Original post by Ahanaf
Can you tell us the terms and conditions to hold the scholarship. Do we need to score a specific percentage in each semester to hold the scholarship through out the year ?

They said you have to maintain a given Gpa like 3.0 and above I think
Hey!

I hope this helps!

Jelka

Hey
Do you think out UCAS reference is used by the selection panel? Because most of my achievements were stated in my reference so if they don’t it’ll really be a mess for my case.
thanks

Bradley
Has anyone heard back yet? Results come out this week right?
Has anyone heard back yet? Results come out this week right?

Not yet I guess they’ll reply by the deadline which is May 9th.
Original post by Anonymous
Not yet I guess they’ll reply by the deadline which is May 9th.

I just saw someone on LinkedIn who has received a 13000 GBP scholarship- have they started sending out offers yet I'm so anxious!
I just saw someone on LinkedIn who has received a 13000 GBP scholarship- have they started sending out offers yet I'm so anxious!

I don’t really know about it :/ but let’s wait and hope for the best.
I think the status is updated on the scholarship website itself

Quick Reply

Latest