The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield medicine teaching standard

I’ve recently been to Sheffield and have loved the city and university. I currently need to make the decision between Sheffield and Leicester and feel that, based on open days/ranking/ratings, leicesters standard of teaching is better. I understand that ratings can be unreliable. Still, can anyone currently studying medicine at Sheffield confirm what the teaching is like?
Is it consistent, varied, interesting etc. Are the facilities they use good quality? Do the methods and styles of teaching make you feel like you are keeping up with the national standard?
Original post by Tate_Nicol
I’ve recently been to Sheffield and have loved the city and university. I currently need to make the decision between Sheffield and Leicester and feel that, based on open days/ranking/ratings, leicesters standard of teaching is better. I understand that ratings can be unreliable. Still, can anyone currently studying medicine at Sheffield confirm what the teaching is like?
Is it consistent, varied, interesting etc. Are the facilities they use good quality? Do the methods and styles of teaching make you feel like you are keeping up with the national standard?

I am deciding between these two as well, which did you decide on and why?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Tate_Nicol

Hey, I hope you are doing well and are happy with whatever choice you made. I thought I would just reply on here incase anyone else is still interested. I am a current medical student at The University of Sheffield - I am intercalating at the moment.
Firstly, I just want to say that medical schools are very closely regulated by the GMC and therefore the content and the courses are very similar, whichever medical school you go to. Teaching takes place in a number of ways, in the first two years most of the content is covered through lectures and then there are practicals and tutorials where you go through key topics. There are anatomy dissection labs, microbiology labs and histology practicals, as well as clinical skills sessions, biweekly GP placements and small group learning sessions, so there is plenty of variety. The facilities are good, the medical school is modern, but some of the lab spaces are older in design but the equipment is up to date and the facilitators are amazing. Sheffield students graduating from medicine tend to do very well as doctors as there is a big emphasis on communication and clinical skills.
I also have friends who are currently studying medicine at Leicester and they have loved it, and have enjoyed studying there too!
To anyone thinking about choices, I would pick more based on the city rather than the course, as the courses will all be very similar but you will be living in the city for 5/6 years.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending