The Student Room Group

Manchester vs Sheffield medicine

Hi guys,

I’ve applied to both Manchester and Sheffield this year and still waiting on decisions aha but I’ve been thinking about where I actually want to go and comparing them both.

With Manchester, I absolutely love the city and vibes (and food scene) as well as the campus looks amazing. But compared to Sheffield, it only has 7 lectures a week as well as a more problem based approach so a lot of independent work needed but does teach you the skill of being independent.

With Sheffield, there are like 15-17 lectures a week and so you have all the information in front of you and you learn a ton but it is 9-5 so very restricting and tbh a lot more time consuming than Manchester. But you learn a lot of knowledge about medicine which is one of the reasons why I want to go.

What are your lots opinions on this? If you guys are from the university, please reply with what you think!
(edited 2 months ago)
Hopefully offers will come your way and you will be able to attend the offer holder days and see what you think then.

I think you are looking at the right things. I would also look at how you are assessed, how often, and what on? What do you think of the placements, the cities, the student accom options etc. ?

It would be nice to have the choice, but I wouldn't put too much effort into deciding which one you like best before you have choice of both offers.

It would be awful to spend ages deciding you like A and don't like B, if you end up only getting an offer from B. You will have turned yourself off it 😄

Good luck, and I hope you have good news from them both soon.
Original post by iamdopamine
Hi guys,

I’ve applied to both Manchester and Sheffield this year and still waiting on decisions aha but I’ve been thinking about where I actually want to go and comparing them both.

With Manchester, I absolutely love the city and vibes (and food scene) as well as the campus looks amazing. But compared to Sheffield, it only has 7 lectures a week as well as a more problem based approach so a lot of independent work needed but does teach you the skill of being independent.

With Sheffield, there are like 15-17 lectures a week and so you have all the information in front of you and you learn a ton but it is 9-5 so very restricting and tbh a lot more time consuming than Manchester. But you learn a lot of knowledge about medicine which is one of the reasons why I want to go.

What are your lots opinions on this? If you guys are from the university, please reply with what you think!

Hi,

I am currently in my third year at the University of Sheffield, although not doing a medicine degree.

I have found Sheffield a lovely place to study with lots of things to do in the city centre as well as easy access to the peak district.

The university also has a large number of societies so you have lots of opportunities to try something new or continue an old hobby.

There is also a chat to us function where you can speak to current students and ask them questions.
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat

Have you been to any open days?
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/visit/open-days

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions,

Lizzie (BSc Mathematics and Philosophy)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending