The Student Room Group

Bank accounts for CIFA marker

To explain everything, currently, my NatWest account is under investigation for a fraud report for money that went into my account. I received an unknown phonecall in which they knew my personal details and told me to follow their instructions on using my account to transfer in and to then transfer out as crypto. Out of fear i followed along and they did this until my account ended up being blocked. They have not been calling me since i told them this happened.

I initially out of fear made it seem it was genuine but then i told the fraud team in natwest about the true situation. I reached out to the police who told me to contact the action fraud team, but they have informed me to speak to the financial ombudsman. I am so worried about what will happen to my account.

I currently use my natwest for my direct debits and i have a monzo for daily shopping and such. I recently opened revolut and out of fear i am trying to open a starling account from reading about getting my account potentially closed and receiving a marker despite of being a victim.

I have read through a lot of forums and i want to ask whether my monzo, revolut or the account im about to open with starling will be closed as i am worried natwest will close mine.
Who can i potentially open an acocunt with. I am worried because i have a credit card and a loan with natwest too.
Anyone know if ill be able to prevent getting a cifa marker somehow?
Original post by LauraKuza

I have read through a lot of forums and i want to ask whether my monzo, revolut or the account im about to open with starling will be closed as i am worried natwest will close mine.

Yes, it is indeed possible, and quite probable too. Lots of the high street banks are carrying out regular checks of the CIFAS database (using a system called CIFAS direct), if you have a cat 6 marker it will probably be only a matter of time before your other accounts are closed as well.
Reply 2
Original post by RedGiant
Yes, it is indeed possible, and quite probable too. Lots of the high street banks are carrying out regular checks of the CIFAS database (using a system called CIFAS direct), if you have a cat 6 marker it will probably be only a matter of time before your other accounts are closed as well.

do you know who i can set up an account with now that may not in this occurance, i am worried because i work and i do pay for a few direct debits so i wnat to make sure i will have some sort out bank acocunt for this. Apparently prepaid accounts are okay?
do you know who i can set up an account with now that may not in this occurance, i am worried because i work and i do pay for a few direct debits so i wnat to make sure i will have some sort out bank acocunt for this. Apparently prepaid accounts are okay?

I don't I'm afraid. Even pre-paid debit cards are becoming less lenient in terms of acceptance and many use CIFAS directly or indirectly through third parties.
To explain everything, currently, my NatWest account is under investigation for a fraud report for money that went into my account. I received an unknown phonecall in which they knew my personal details and told me to follow their instructions on using my account to transfer in and to then transfer out as crypto. Out of fear i followed along and they did this until my account ended up being blocked. They have not been calling me since i told them this happened.

I initially out of fear made it seem it was genuine but then i told the fraud team in natwest about the true situation. I reached out to the police who told me to contact the action fraud team, but they have informed me to speak to the financial ombudsman. I am so worried about what will happen to my account.

I currently use my natwest for my direct debits and i have a monzo for daily shopping and such. I recently opened revolut and out of fear i am trying to open a starling account from reading about getting my account potentially closed and receiving a marker despite of being a victim.

Who can i potentially open an acocunt with. I am worried because i have a credit card and a loan with natwest too.
Anyone know if ill be able to prevent getting a cifa marker somehow?

They will most probably close any accounts you have, they did that with mine, I'm a victim aswel and have a cifas marker against me now.
I have tried all kinds of high street and online ones and been turned down by every one, I now have to give up working as I can't get account. Our lives are totally shattered by what these hackers/ scammers do
Through no fault of our own .

Latest

Trending

Trending