The Student Room Group

Money Muling

I really really ****ed up. I know it’s my fault i just need to know what i can do.

I was lured into money muling a while ago. As soon as i realised what was happening i tried to cut off contact with the people but they then threatened me saying that they had my information (which they did) and if i tried going to the police id be arrested.

I ended up making more accounts for them out of fear with multiple prepaid card services.

I eventually just sucked it up and blocked all contact with them but my bank account was recently suspended and I’m terrified.

I never received any money but from what ive read from hours and hours of going from forum to forum that doesn’t matter.

I really need help ive been having panic attacks for weeks. I can’t eat I can’t sleep.

Please what can i do.

Edit: I’d also like to add that when i finally blocked them i deleted everything in a hyper paranoid state as in shaking uncontrollably and struggling to breathe.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Fukup3897
I really really ****ed up. I know it’s my fault i just need to know what i can do.

I was lured into money muling a while ago. As soon as i realised what was happening i tried to cut off contact with the people but they then threatened me saying that they had my information (which they did) and if i tried going to the police id be arrested.

I ended up making more accounts for them out of fear with multiple prepaid card services.

I eventually just sucked it up and blocked all contact with them but my bank account was recently suspended and I’m terrified.

I never received any money but from what ive read from hours and hours of going from forum to forum that doesn’t matter.

I really need help ive been having panic attacks for weeks. I can’t eat I can’t sleep.

Please what can i do.

Edit: I’d also like to add that when i finally blocked them i deleted everything in a hyper paranoid state as in shaking uncontrollably and struggling to breathe.
You can report them here: https://crimestoppers-uk.org
It's completely anonymous.
You need to find out whether a CIFAS marker has been applied. You can check here:

https://www.cifas.org.uk/dsar
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
You need to find out whether a CIFAS marker has been applied. You can check here:

https://www.cifas.org.uk/dsar
Thank you, I’m still awaiting a response i made a request a few days ago. If there is a CIFAS marker what are the chances that I’ll be arrested. They also made a tax account in my name that is currently an open case. Was that a bad idea? Will i get arrested?
Reply 4
Original post by Fukup3897
Thank you, I’m still awaiting a response i made a request a few days ago. If there is a CIFAS marker what are the chances that I’ll be arrested. They also made a tax account in my name that is currently an open case. Was that a bad idea? Will i get arrested?
You won't get arrested because of a Cifas marker. You could be investigated for your involvement with fraudulent activities, so have as much evidence as possible available for if it comes to that; any screenshot, messages, phone numbers used, addresses if there's anyone you know etc.

You say "As soon as i realised what was happening i tried to cut off contact...", but how did it start? Did you give out account or card details? Did you make an account? Sorry, rhetorical questions that you don't have to answer, but were there no alarm bells ringing with whatever you were first asked to do?
(edited 2 months ago)
I'd go to the police as it might be the only practical way out of this, otherwise they can just keep doing things in your name indefinitely. I suspect you might be formally interviewed but I v much doubt there would be an arrest, the person telling you there would be has a direct interest in scaring you off that option.

I suspect you will end up with some form of Cifas marker though, as you did allow all of this to happen repeatedly and over a period of time. If by deleting everything you mean you deleted all the evidence of these contacts and your conversations, well, that wasn't wise.
Original post by User3897
Please what can i do.
Money laundering has the maximum sentence of up to 14 years in prison. It will also greatly affect your future your bank account will be closed, and you will be unable to access credit in the future. Where are you from ?
Original post by StriderHort
I'd go to the police as it might be the only practical way out of this, otherwise they can just keep doing things in your name indefinitely. I suspect you might be formally interviewed but I v much doubt there would be an arrest, the person telling you there would be has a direct interest in scaring you off that option.
I suspect you will end up with some form of Cifas marker though, as you did allow all of this to happen repeatedly and over a period of time. If by deleting everything you mean you deleted all the evidence of these contacts and your conversations, well, that wasn't wise.
good advice.
Original post by Fire away
Money laundering has the maximum sentence of up to 14 years in prison. It will also greatly affect your future your bank account will be closed, and you will be unable to access credit in the future. Where are you from ?

Most of what you said is correct but I don't think it's helpful talking about 14 years in prison, which I think we both know would never, ever be handed down to a simple sucker money mule who at most earns a few £100. No chance in hell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending