The Student Room Group

I got a BCD in YR 12 Mocks, will I be able to achieve a BBB in YR 13?(D in Maths)

I got a BCD in my Yr 12 Mocks

B(Computer Science), C(Physics) and a D(Maths).

I want to aim for a BBB or above. Out of all of them, I'm concerned with Maths the most and I want to improve.

I am willing to work on my weaknesses with Maths in the Summer Holidays but how will I be able to do that?

Should I start with the exercise book then move onto PPQ?

Is there any useful memorisation techniques useful for Maths?

(I use active recall for CS Theory and it has helped wonders, same with Physics)

I need as much advice as I can get to smash the September Tests.

I am already prepared with a retrospective topic list and a study timetable.

I have been having self-doubt if I can ever achieve my goals but I nevertheless feel motivated to do so.:frown:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by SeniorStraw

I want to aim for a BBB or above. Out of all of them, I'm concerned with Maths the most and I want to improve.

I am willing to work on my weaknesses with Maths in the Summer Holidays but how will I be able to do that?

(I use active recall for CS Theory and it has helped wonders, same with Physics)

I have been having self-doubt if I can ever achieve my goals but I nevertheless feel motivated to do so.:frown:

Bro you got this. It's so doable. I did shite at the end of yr12 due to personal reasons and am trying to get an A* at the end of this exam season and I started so much later. You can easily do it lmao!
Original post by HELPBISH
Bro you got this. It's so doable. I did shite at the end of yr12 due to personal reasons and am trying to get an A* at the end of this exam season and I started so much later. You can easily do it lmao!

How was your grades journey during A-Levels if I may ask?
Are my ambitions realistic?
How was your grades journey during A-Levels if I may ask?

B/Cs but I have had so many Ds and Cs in yr13 as well. But I'm onb track for top grades. If I can do it you can do it aswell
Original post by HELPBISH
B/Cs but I have had so many Ds and Cs in yr13 as well. But I'm onb track for top grades. If I can do it you can do it aswell

Thanks for the support! I really appreciate it.

How do you plan to use the returned exam papers?
Original post by Muttley79
How do you plan to use the returned exam papers?

I'm going to be focusing on the questions I got wrong in that test. So for example, if I got the proof question wrong, I would have to go over the topic and then try practice questions. I don't know if that's enough though.
Reply 8

Have you checked out dr frost for maths? It has everything you need built into it.
I think the single most important thing you could do over the summer is make sure you have all the basic yr12 knowledge secured. Things like logs,trig and the yr12 integration/differentiation. This will help massively next year as a lot of the second year content builds on this.
I'm going to be focusing on the questions I got wrong in that test. So for example, if I got the proof question wrong, I would have to go over the topic and then try practice questions. I don't know if that's enough though.

That's a good start - topics you got partial marks for should be tackled first. Then question you really struggled on. Talk to your teacher and see what support they can offer. What has been your working at grade in Maths?
That's a good start - topics you got partial marks for should be tackled first. Then question you really struggled on. Talk to your teacher and see what support they can offer. What has been your working at grade in Maths?

I started with Us, then I progressed onto Ds then D/Cs (it's been fluctuating around there at the moment). My AEG is a B. I feel like within a years time and consistently putting the work in. I'll be able to achieve that grade.

What should I do with partial mark questions? Do I have to go over them to the same degree as questions I struggled on?
Original post by Skiwi
Have you checked out dr frost for maths? It has everything you need built into it.
I think the single most important thing you could do over the summer is make sure you have all the basic yr12 knowledge secured. Things like logs,trig and the yr12 integration/differentiation. This will help massively next year as a lot of the second year content builds on this.

I feel like going over the exam board endorsed exercise book isn't really helping me tackle questions during the mocks. I will try out DrFrostMaths, thanks for the recommendation.
I started with Us, then I progressed onto Ds then D/Cs (it's been fluctuating around there at the moment). My AEG is a B. I feel like within a years time and consistently putting the work in. I'll be able to achieve that grade.

What should I do with partial mark questions? Do I have to go over them to the same degree as questions I struggled on?

No - but tackle them first as this will give the fastest improvement. Edexcel produce masses of additional resources for teachers to share ...

Practising questions is vital
No - but tackle them first as this will give the fastest improvement. Edexcel produce masses of additional resources for teachers to share ...

Practising questions is vital

What is your advice when it comes to keeping that knowledge in your head doing practice questions, whilst preventing to let them slip away?
(edited 1 year ago)
What is your advice when it comes to keeping that knowledge in your head doing practice questions, whilst preventing to let them slip away?

In my experience the more questions you do the better you retain knowledge. Focusing on key words too.
In my experience the more questions you do the better you retain knowledge. Focusing on key words too.

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest