The Student Room Group

Is it worth giving up on medicine

Hi
I have just finished retaking year 12 because of an injury last year
I did my mock exams and got the following grades
Biology - D
Chemistry - E
History - B
The head of sixth form is lettign my continue into year 13 but has said to to leave early admissions for UCAS
Should i give up on the idea of medicine and just focus on gettign better grades for year 13
I am also considering pharmacy and law
Applying for medicine in the coming year at least is probably unrealistic, yes. Of course if you go on to do well in your A-levels there's no reason not to consider applying in a gap year. You can also plan for that from the outset, and focus on consolidating your A-level knowledge now while also using the extra time afforded to look into more work experience options to confirm your interest :smile:

In particular, since you don't need to submit an application for anything else until January 2024, you have plenty of time to start focusing on your A-levels and pursuing more work experience for medicine, without having to worry about UCAT/BMAT/etc, and then if you decide based on the work experience its not for you after all, you have plenty of time still to explore other options and prepare a personal statement for something else!
Reply 2
Original post by 670351
Hi
I have just finished retaking year 12 because of an injury last year
I did my mock exams and got the following grades
Biology - D
Chemistry - E
History - B
The head of sixth form is lettign my continue into year 13 but has said to to leave early admissions for UCAS
Should i give up on the idea of medicine and just focus on gettign better grades for year 13
I am also considering pharmacy and law

What do you mean by 'the head of sixth form is letting you continue'? They cannot stop progression into Year 13 for academic reasons.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
What do you mean by 'the head of sixth form is letting you continue'? They cannot stop progression into Year 13 for academic reasons.

Is this true? Please tell me why they can't stop progression into yr13 for academic reasons because I've been ill throughout yr 12 and unfortunately didn't do well in my final mocks but I got decent grades in the previous mocks. I am academically capable I know because I always focus on my education and my GCSEs were great. But due to my low grades, my school is saying they won't let me continue on to yr 13 and I've been panicking. What can I do?
Reply 4
Original post by Shambles20
Is this true? Please tell me why they can't stop progression into yr13 for academic reasons because I've been ill throughout yr 12 and unfortunately didn't do well in my final mocks but I got decent grades in the previous mocks. I am academically capable I know because I always focus on my education and my GCSEs were great. But due to my low grades, my school is saying they won't let me continue on to yr 13 and I've been panicking. What can I do?

Remind them they can only exclude you for behaviour reasons.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/jul/10/london-grammar-school-st-olavest-eated-students-like-collateral-damage

In response to the St Olave’s case, a Department for Education spokesperson said

“All schools have a responsibility to provide a high quality education to every pupil and ensure there is no limit to their potential. Students enrolled in a sixth form cannot be removed because of academic ability.

The law is clear on this and we expect all schools to follow it. We will be taking action to remind headteachers of their responsibility on this point.”

https://www.teeslaw.com/insights/exclusion-on-the-grounds-of-academic-attainment/
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Remind them they can only exclude you for behaviour reasons.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/jul/10/london-grammar-school-st-olavest-eated-students-like-collateral-damage

In response to the St Olave’s case, a Department for Education spokesperson said

“All schools have a responsibility to provide a high quality education to every pupil and ensure there is no limit to their potential. Students enrolled in a sixth form cannot be removed because of academic ability.

The law is clear on this and we expect all schools to follow it. We will be taking action to remind headteachers of their responsibility on this point.”

https://www.teeslaw.com/insights/exclusion-on-the-grounds-of-academic-attainment/

Thank you so much
Reply 6
They're forcing me to retake year 12 either in the same school or elsewhere. Are they allowed to do that or no? As this is slightly different than getting fully excluded. Thanks
Reply 7
Thats the policy they have at our school but they say you cnant come back for year 13
To be fair I knwo a lot of schools that do the pass year 12 to get into year 13 thing
The high school i go to has a sixth form which i did not go to for my first year of sixthform but because i have come back it makes it a bit dodgy

They're forcing me to retake year 12 either in the same school or elsewhere. Are they allowed to do that or no? As this is slightly different than getting fully excluded. Thanks
Reply 8
Thank you for your help so much guys
Looks like i will be pursuing Pharmacy or law instead :smile: :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by 670351
Thats the policy they have at our school but they say you cnant come back for year 13
To be fair I knwo a lot of schools that do the pass year 12 to get into year 13 thing
The high school i go to has a sixth form which i did not go to for my first year of sixthform but because i have come back it makes it a bit dodgy

Oh right. Thanks. I've spoken to someone and according to the law, a person can only be recommended to retake yr12. They can't be told that they cannot progress to yr 13 for academic or attendance reasons. I know I won't fail. It's just this academic year I was ill. And I really do not want to retake the year.
Original post by 670351
Thank you for your help so much guys
Looks like i will be pursuing Pharmacy or law instead :smile: :frown:

Good luck! Maybe after your pharmacy degree, you can do graduate entry into medicine if you really wish to do medicine.
Reply 11
Thank you
Good luck to you too :smile:

Good luck! Maybe after your pharmacy degree, you can do graduate entry into medicine if you really wish to do medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending