The Student Room Group

Council Tax

Bit of advice if possible - If you are a student and live with 2 other students and one who will be a non student from next week , who is liable for council tax? I think it’s the non student but he is disputing it even though council website suggests otherwise. Just wondered if anyone had experience of this
If the two students are both under 18 or full time students on courses that last for at least a year, the non-student alone is liable to pay council tax.
Although there is a 1/3 discount available for households where only one person has to pay council tax.
Original post by londonmyst
If the two students are both under 18 or full time students on courses that last for at least a year, the non-student alone is liable to pay council tax.
Although there is a 1/3 discount available for households where only one person has to pay council tax.

The discount is 25% where I live.
It's the non-student as long as the others are continuing their courses full-time. There will be a single person discount.
Original post by Slh178
Bit of advice if possible - If you are a student and live with 2 other students and one who will be a non student from next week , who is liable for council tax? I think it’s the non student but he is disputing it even though council website suggests otherwise. Just wondered if anyone had experience of this
Reply 4
Thanks everyone. Just so frustrating as he’s adamant it needs to be paid by all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending