The Student Room Group

Student Overdraft

Hi, I just finished year 1 of University and have been trying to get an overdraft for MONTHS but I keep getting rejected because of my so called credit score which has been the same for years so what am I supposed to even do as a student?

However I have always applied online or via phone. What are my chances of getting an overdraft if I just go in branch lol? I have a bank at HSBC
Original post by kurt0411
Hi, I just finished year 1 of University and have been trying to get an overdraft for MONTHS but I keep getting rejected because of my so called credit score which has been the same for years so what am I supposed to even do as a student?

However I have always applied online or via phone. What are my chances of getting an overdraft if I just go in branch lol? I have a bank at HSBC

you could go into the branch and talk to someone? having the same credit score is a bad thing you should increase it so that banks see you as someone less risky and then give you the overdraft. someone in the bank could advise you on how to work on your lack of credit history to make you eligible for the overdraft.
Original post by kurt0411

I would suggest that you get a copy of your Statutory Credit Report from each of the three main Credit Reference Agencies (CRAs) (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion). There's no charge for this. Check each of them carefully (they might each contain different information). Make sure there are no inaccuracies, and that there's nothing you don't recognise.

If there are inaccuracies, these might be causing your problems.

Are you on the electoral roll? If not, that might also cause problems.
Potentially go in branch but it sounds like something is putting them off, usually you get one when you open your account as they run a credit check.

Have you signed up with Credit Karma/MSE Credit Club/Clearscore? They are free versions of your credit reports with Experian/Equifax/Transunion might be worth a look.

HSBC are picky and judge your activity more than other banks I’ve found. Is your student loan going into the account? If it’s not they won’t give you an overdraft.

At the same time if you are looking likely to be struggling financially, or constantly asking for the overdraft then they won’t give you one. And won’t until the situation looks better to be honest.
Does that mean getting a Studnet overdraft at any bank is dependent on your credit score?? I am curious to know??
@gandalfslipper
@martin7
@kurt0411

Does that mean getting a Studnet overdraft at your local bank(the bank you predominately use etc) or any bank is totally dependent on your credit score? I am curious to know etc ??
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Blackstarr
@gandalfslipper
@martin7
@kurt0411

Does that mean getting a Studnet overdraft at your local bank(the bank you predominately use etc) or any bank is totally dependent on your credit score? I am curious to know etc ??

Overdrafts are always "subject to status", i.e. the bank will make an assessment of your credit record. Obviously most students opening their first account won't have a credit record of any significance, but the bank will be checking in case there is. If you're applying for an overdraft on an account you already have, the bank is likely to look at the way you manage that account as part of their assessment of whether or not to give an overdraft and what limit to offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending