The Student Room Group

is a Msc in HR even worth it?

I can't really make up my mind about which sector I want to get into.
I've always wanted to get into a HR career
but my seniors aren't very encouraging. Apparently everyone's a HR now-a-days???
they suggested data analytics/ international management/ digital marketing MScs
Thoughts?
Original post by Annie_91
but my seniors aren't very encouraging. Apparently everyone's a HR now-a-days???
Thoughts?

Don't fret over which career is better.

Get into a good company FTSE 250 at the ground level and work your way up. At present, the job market is good for vacancies. That won't last. Another two years on and yes, you may have a masters, but your expectations will also be higher and you will be competing with professionals who have the qualifications and also relevant experience with a track record of delivery. The job market may also be very different.

IMHO, once you have three or more years under your belt, you can reappraise your trajectory. There is the opportunity to then take a sabbatical to do the masters. Better still, your company may even sponsor you and your thesis will be relevant to the job you do.

Also, you can then change career and move into analytics etc.

So the key is to research companies that cover the analytics/digital marketing etc. and have a multi-national/international reach. They will definitely have an HR requirement.

Concentrate your efforts on securing the job, get as many transferable skills and as much training and quality experience as you can. You will be exposed to the other roles by nature of your position.

That will put you in a great place with more choice and ahead of applicants with a higher qualification but with no track record and no experience.

Best.
I work in HR.

Honestly, I find it really enjoyable. I agree with the above comment about getting into a good company or organisation but I wouldn’t worry about that right away.

If you’re serious about HR, look into a Masters course that offers studying for CIPD membership alongside it- CIPD membership is highly valued in HR.

Happy to answer any queries!
What did you study for your undergrad degree?
Reply 4
Original post by Annie_91
Thoughts?

I totally get your confusion about choosing the right career path, especially when it comes to HR. A while back, I was in the same boat, unsure if I should dive into HR or explore something else. My friends were all about the latest trends like data analytics or digital marketing, and here I was, drawn to HR.

I ended up following my gut and went for an hr certification online. It was a game changer for me. It gave me a solid foundation in HR without the commitment of a full-blown MSc. Plus, it was a great way to test the waters and see if HR really resonated with me.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending