The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Year 1 at East Anglia doing BSC BUSINESS INFORMATION SYSTEMS

Hi,
I justed wanted to know about the assessments and group work that taskes place in year 1 of this course.

Is the exams in year one mutiple chocie questions, I know lots of universities do this for year 1 thats why I wanted to know.

Also, what kind of gorup work takes place, like what exactly is it? For example, is it something like having to code something together?

Thank you for your time!
Are you taking this course?
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by kye335
Hi,
I justed wanted to know about the assessments and group work that taskes place in year 1 of this course.

Is the exams in year one mutiple chocie questions, I know lots of universities do this for year 1 thats why I wanted to know.

Also, what kind of gorup work takes place, like what exactly is it? For example, is it something like having to code something together?

Thank you for your time!

Hey there @kye335 :smile:

Whilst I didn’t do BSc Business Information Systems, I did do BSc Marketing and Management which is also part of the Norwich Business School. In my first year, out of 6 modules, only 1 was group work and was only worth 50% in the form of a presentation. However, this and exams has since changed since the pandemic to make it more accessible for students to complete as a lot of exams are taken online now instead of in person. Unfortunately I can’t give you an exact answer but would recommend looking at the module outlines on your course profile here as it looks like there is a balance of both coursework and exams, with the likelihood of some group work as it’s great to work collaboratively!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!
Isabella (MSc Brand Leadership)
Reply 3
thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by UEA Rep Isabella

Whilst I didn’t do BSc Business Information Systems, I did do BSc Marketing and Management which is also part of the Norwich Business School. In my first year, out of 6 modules, only 1 was group work and was only worth 50% in the form of a presentation. However, this and exams has since changed since the pandemic to make it more accessible for students to complete as a lot of exams are taken online now instead of in person. Unfortunately I can’t give you an exact answer but would recommend looking at the module outlines on your course profile here as it looks like there is a balance of both coursework and exams, with the likelihood of some group work as it’s great to work collaboratively!

Reply 4
Hey Isabella, I ended up getting a year 2 entry onto the BIS course! I was wondering what the best accomdations are and how to make friends since I dont know anyone 😅. Can I also ask what modules you picked, I saw some cross over between some of the modules on BIS and business management and wanted to know yoru thoughts!

Original post by kye335
Hey Isabella, I ended up getting a year 2 entry onto the BIS course! I was wondering what the best accomdations are and how to make friends since I dont know anyone 😅. Can I also ask what modules you picked, I saw some cross over between some of the modules on BIS and business management and wanted to know yoru thoughts!

Hey @kye335!

That's great news - congratulations! In terms of accommodation, it is easier said than done, but try not to worry about not knowing anyone! Everyone is in the same boat and you meet new people around campus, through clubs and societies and in your different modules throughout the year. There's definitely no 'best' accommodation, it just depends what you're looking for. The Ziggurats are arguably the most social because it is shared bathrooms and occasionally rooms, however all the other options are equally as social! The Village is a 10 minute walk away from campus so a little less central, however you can chat and meet people from neighbouring flats there too and still really convenient to get to lectures. The Students' Union put on Welcome events during your first week to help you meet new people, bond with your flat and settle in to uni life!

From what I can tell from the module overview, the modules I did in Y2/3 that you can choose from are Introduction to Accounting and Finance, Principles of Marketing and Business Ethics. I remember really enjoying these, with the first two providing a foundational level to the disciple which I think is really important and Business Ethics building ethical awareness that I didn’t realise at the time was extremely important to businesses. There're probably a couple that have changed their module names since I did it, such as Management and Organisations and Managing People, which again I really enjoyed because I wanted to know more theory behind why organisations and employees act a certain way and thought it nicely complimented the other modules I took. I think the only thing to be mindful of is the coursework of these modules as it depends on what you prefer, if you're better at exams then those modules may be more suitable because a lot of these are typically 100% written assignments and will contribute to your final grade. Also, choose the modules that genuinely interest you because you'll be learning about it for a whole semester!

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Reply 6
Principles of Marketing and Business Ethics
Hey @kye335!

That's great news - congratulations! In terms of accommodation, it is easier said than done, but try not to worry about not knowing anyone! Everyone is in the same boat and you meet new people around campus, through clubs and societies and in your different modules throughout the year. There's definitely no 'best' accommodation, it just depends what you're looking for. The Ziggurats are arguably the most social because it is shared bathrooms and occasionally rooms, however all the other options are equally as social! The Village is a 10 minute walk away from campus so a little less central, however you can chat and meet people from neighbouring flats there too and still really convenient to get to lectures. The Students' Union put on Welcome events during your first week to help you meet new people, bond with your flat and settle in to uni life!

From what I can tell from the module overview, the modules I did in Y2/3 that you can choose from are Introduction to Accounting and Finance, Principles of Marketing and Business Ethics. I remember really enjoying these, with the first two providing a foundational level to the disciple which I think is really important and Business Ethics building ethical awareness that I didn’t realise at the time was extremely important to businesses. There're probably a couple that have changed their module names since I did it, such as Management and Organisations and Managing People, which again I really enjoyed because I wanted to know more theory behind why organisations and employees act a certain way and thought it nicely complimented the other modules I took. I think the only thing to be mindful of is the coursework of these modules as it depends on what you prefer, if you're better at exams then those modules may be more suitable because a lot of these are typically 100% written assignments and will contribute to your final grade. Also, choose the modules that genuinely interest you because you'll be learning about it for a whole semester!

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Hi Isabella!
That sounds less daunting at least theres quite a lot of social activities/events!

I plan on picking Principles of Marketing, Business Ethics, Management and Organisations and Managing People, as my modules, of these which are 100% coursework (I was also considering project mangement but not sure how this will be)? I also wanted to know what the actual difference was for Management and Organisations and Managing People, they sound very similar and so do their descriptions.
Original post by kye335
Principles of Marketing and Business Ethics

Hi Isabella!
That sounds less daunting at least theres quite a lot of social activities/events!

I plan on picking Principles of Marketing, Business Ethics, Management and Organisations and Managing People, as my modules, of these which are 100% coursework (I was also considering project mangement but not sure how this will be)? I also wanted to know what the actual difference was for Management and Organisations and Managing People, they sound very similar and so do their descriptions.

Hey @kye335 :smile:

That's definitely what I love about UEA, from the get-go you feel like you're part of a community!

Although I didn’t take Project Management, I know quite a few people who did and really enjoyed it because it was more practical in the sense where you and a team, with other students from other Business Management disciplines, and get to work with a client on a real-life problem so really getting to put theory into practice and get more confident on your presentation skills. As for the difference between Management and Organisations and Managing People, from the module description, the latter has a greater focus on HR theory therefore concentrating more on your role as a HR manager and how you can recruit talent and retain them. Whereas Management and Organisations is more of an overview to how you in an organisation, as a leader of any team, can help the organisation excel. However there are always module fairs where you can ask the module leader directly about the differences and choose which modules best suit you so I wouldn't worry too much about it until the second semester!

Hope this has helped!
Reply 8
Thank you so much for your help! :smile:

I would like to ask another thing:
I have already made an application to Student Finance England and have been approved for year 2 tuition for my old university.

I am now transferring university for a year 2 entry so I would like to reallocate this approved application to my new university.

I have called 4 times and spent 3 hours on the phone with Student Finance and ALL of them have given me different answers, so now I am very worried about not getting my student finance for my new university on time, could you please help me with how I do this?

(I am only wanting the tuition fees and nothing else if this helps)

Thank you for your help

Hey @kye335 :smile:

That's definitely what I love about UEA, from the get-go you feel like you're part of a community!

Although I didn’t take Project Management, I know quite a few people who did and really enjoyed it because it was more practical in the sense where you and a team, with other students from other Business Management disciplines, and get to work with a client on a real-life problem so really getting to put theory into practice and get more confident on your presentation skills. As for the difference between Management and Organisations and Managing People, from the module description, the latter has a greater focus on HR theory therefore concentrating more on your role as a HR manager and how you can recruit talent and retain them. Whereas Management and Organisations is more of an overview to how you in an organisation, as a leader of any team, can help the organisation excel. However there are always module fairs where you can ask the module leader directly about the differences and choose which modules best suit you so I wouldn't worry too much about it until the second semester!

Hope this has helped!
Original post by kye335
Thank you so much for your help! :smile:

I would like to ask another thing:
I have already made an application to Student Finance England and have been approved for year 2 tuition for my old university.

I am now transferring university for a year 2 entry so I would like to reallocate this approved application to my new university.

I have called 4 times and spent 3 hours on the phone with Student Finance and ALL of them have given me different answers, so now I am very worried about not getting my student finance for my new university on time, could you please help me with how I do this?

(I am only wanting the tuition fees and nothing else if this helps)

Thank you for your help

Hey @kye335

Sorry that you're having trouble with Student Finance! I can only imagine how frustrating it is. As tuition fees get paid directly to the university, it may be worth trying to contact UEA at either [email protected] or [email protected] explaining the situation as they may be able to help on their end or at least confirm if they are expected to receive your tuition fees.

Isabella (MSc Brand Leadership) :smile:
Reply 10
Thank you, will try that!
Hey @kye335

Sorry that you're having trouble with Student Finance! I can only imagine how frustrating it is. As tuition fees get paid directly to the university, it may be worth trying to contact UEA at either [email protected] or [email protected] explaining the situation as they may be able to help on their end or at least confirm if they are expected to receive your tuition fees.

Isabella (MSc Brand Leadership) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending