The Student Room Group

City centre campus university recommendations??

Hi! I’m currently in year 12 and my school is really starting to push us to put together a short list of 5 universities we are going to apply for… the first being an aspiration/the one you want to go to most… and the last being a fallback university in case my grades go very wrong in the actual exam.

I want to study Politics, preferably with a year abroad however I’m not opposed to just doing a course without one and I’m predicted the grades A* in Politics, A* in Philosophy and Ethics, B in English Literature.. it could be possible I’d get a C in English literature instead of a B, it’s not my strongest subject.

I’m absolute on wanting to study in a city centre, I don’t want to be a couple miles away from the city centre as I’d much rather not have to take lots of transport ways to get into the centre for things like social life and night life. This is why the main city I’ve been looking at is London as all of the universities are more or less in the centre or at least close, also the tube is very accessible so it wouldn’t be as awkward for travel restrictions.

I live in Newcastle at the moment, so don’t want to go to any local universities as I desperately want to go away.

My current short list is..

1. Queen Mary University of London
2. Glasgow University
3. Unsure..
4. City, University of London
5. Westminster University

I’d really appreciate some help with recommendations because I’m really struggling with universities with good reputations with reasonable grade boundaries and a good location, City and Westminster are not 100% set because I’m aware of some reputation or organisation problems.. (none of them are completely set at this exact moment, but I think Queen Mary will be at least one option)
Bristol and Cardiff have campuses within walking distance of the city centre but much of the accommodation isnt on campus. That is part of the problem with city universities. They tend to be older universities and the city has grown around them. Exeter is a campus university 15 minutes walk to the city centre. It has some halls in the city but most is on the campus. It is a small city though.

You could also look at Manchester and Liverpool.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Bristol and Cardiff have campuses within walking distance of the city centre but much of the accommodation isnt on campus. That is part of the problem with city universities. They tend to be older universities and the city has grown around them. Exeter is a campus university 15 minutes walk to the city centre. It has some halls in the city but most is on the campus. It is a small city though.

You could also look at Manchester and Liverpool.

Thank you for responding! Cardiff was never on my radar but from having a generally quick look into it.. it looks like one of definitely be interested in! So thank you. I’ve had a look into Manchester but the course style isn’t to my taste.. Liverpool I haven’t looked into, so again thank you for the recommendations
London's pricey... also the distances between places that are 'in the city centre' can be considerable... cos it's so large and sprawling.

How about Leeds or Manchester
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
London's pricey... also the distances between places that are 'in the city centre' can be considerable... cos it's so large and sprawling.

How about Leeds or Manchester

I’ve looked at both of those universities. Originally those were my top 2.. but after looking at the course details further, the course structure for Manchester isn’t one im too interested in.. Leeds is similar. As well as this they both want AAB/AAA and I’m quite worried that my C grade will pull my chances down
Original post by Olivine
Thank you for responding! Cardiff was never on my radar but from having a generally quick look into it.. it looks like one of definitely be interested in! So thank you. I’ve had a look into Manchester but the course style isn’t to my taste.. Liverpool I haven’t looked into, so again thank you for the recommendations

The problem with all older city universities is that the Halls are often out of Town although there are many private halls availalble. Typically in Cardiff there are private halls within walking distance of the city centre and university.
How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read the section about having 5 choices with a range of grade requirements : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Btw - Liverpool, Bristol, and Cardiff all have city campuses.
Cambridge basically is the city centre, and everything is walkable/cyclable (almost everyone seems to cycle there). Definitely worth consideration :smile:

Also it's only a 45 min train from London so quite easy access if you did want to go into London on a weekend day trip or something!
Original post by Olivine
Hi! I’m currently in year 12 and my school is really starting to push us to put together a short list of 5 universities we are going to apply for… the first being an aspiration/the one you want to go to most… and the last being a fallback university in case my grades go very wrong in the actual exam.

I want to study Politics, preferably with a year abroad however I’m not opposed to just doing a course without one and I’m predicted the grades A* in Politics, A* in Philosophy and Ethics, B in English Literature.. it could be possible I’d get a C in English literature instead of a B, it’s not my strongest subject.

I’m absolute on wanting to study in a city centre, I don’t want to be a couple miles away from the city centre as I’d much rather not have to take lots of transport ways to get into the centre for things like social life and night life. This is why the main city I’ve been looking at is London as all of the universities are more or less in the centre or at least close, also the tube is very accessible so it wouldn’t be as awkward for travel restrictions.

I live in Newcastle at the moment, so don’t want to go to any local universities as I desperately want to go away.

2. Glasgow University
3. Unsure..

I’d really appreciate some help with recommendations because I’m really struggling with universities with good reputations with reasonable grade boundaries and a good location, City and Westminster are not 100% set because I’m aware of some reputation or organisation problems.. (none of them are completely set at this exact moment, but I think Queen Mary will be at least one option)

Hello @Olivine!

I hope this message finds you well.

My name is Raluca Tancu and I'm currently a third-year BSc in Business Management, Digital Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Bayes Business School. Even If I don't have anything to do with this area, I advise you to check the website of the course as you can find all the necessary information there.

We are located in the heart of London, within easy reach of several central Underground stations (Barbican, Farringdon and Angel) and just a few stops from the British Library and the West End. Thus, you will have the chance to explore the city easily. Also, there are a couple of students accommodations that are located nearby to the campus, allowing you to walk when attending classes .

Personally, I'm really happy with my time at City, University of London and I would definitely recommend it to you.

Please don't hesitate to ask me anything else about studying at City.

Best wishes,

Raluca Tancu
Official Bayes Business School Student Rep
Original post by Olivine

2. Glasgow University
3. Unsure..

Sheffield, York (campus a mile from city centre), Leicester (note - I've not checked any of these to see if they offer your course).

Be aware with London unis - although you might get student halls in the first year close to the uni and city, when you have to move out to private accommodation for years 2 and 3 you could end up living a long way from the centre. Student digs in London are very expensive and you also need to factor in transport costs.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Olivine

2. Glasgow University
3. Unsure..

leeds is good, it's russell group and it's basically a campus uni inside a city? like there's a whole section of the city that's just uni buildings including accommodation
don't know if that's far enough away from newcastle for u though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending