The Student Room Group

What uni?

I need some help deciding which unis to apply for...
From my research my top options are: Bath, Leeds, Notts, Newcastle, Cardiff and Liverpool.
What I want from a uni: sporty, outdoors, good nightlife, safe, good science department, affordable accommodation, job opportunities near by, good public transport

Scroll to see replies

Original post by user796
From my research my top options are: Bath, Leeds, Notts, Newcastle, Cardiff and Liverpool.
What I want from a uni: sporty, outdoors, good nightlife, safe, good science department, affordable accommodation, job opportunities near by, good public transport

i would cut out Bath and maybe Cardiff for nightlife, but great for safe. the rest are great aside from the safe aspect.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Go to Open Days, look around, ask questions of existing students - and make up your own mind.

And make sure that you choose 5 Unis/courses with a range of grade requirements :
1 or 2 just above your predicted grades
2 or 3 at your predicted grades
At least 1 choice below your predicted grades - as a potential Insurance choice.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Nottingham isn't particularly safe but it hits all the other options I'd say
Original post by user796

Hi there,

I would certainly say the University of Liverpool, and the city hits everything you want there! I would say that it is one of the most affordable cities in terms of cost of living and also has an amazing nightlife/culture with lots of nice places to get into the outdoors too :smile: Let me know if you would like to know anything else.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Original post by user796

Hey @user796, how are you? :smile:

Have you booked onto any upcoming open days, or already attended some for your top options? If not I'd definitely recommend it as that way you can get a feel for all these things - whether there's sports and clubs you want to join, take a tour of the city, check out the facilities and accommodation, speak to academics and support services etc.

You could also try reaching out to current students from the uni's directly, a lot of uni's have their students on unibuddy so you can reach out to them directly and ask what it's like to be a student there.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision making, I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you!

Becky
Original post by user796

Hi there @user796, :smile:

It's great to hear that you are looking to attend university! What course are you interested in apply for?

If you haven't already I would recommend you book onto some open days. It is always best to go and get a feel for the university yourself. I know I really benefitted from visiting various campuses and having the opportunity to speak to tutors and students.

Wishing you all the best. :smile:
Sarah
Hi there,

Deciding which university can be difficult as you must consider several aspects, its good you have a general idea of what youre looking for. While i can't tell you much about the other universities i can tell you about Bath.

Firstly Bath has an excellent reputation for its sports facilites. We have a whole myriad of things from football pitches, running track, olympic swimming pool and a very big gym and even more. We have many sports teams and are very passionate about such so i would definetely say Bath fits your sport criteria.

Secondly both bath the city and the university are safe. Bath itself does not have a high crime rate and is generally considered a safe place to live. Furthermore, Bath university offers 24 hour security - both emergency and non-emergency line, along with the safe zone app you can download to your phone. Whereever you are in Bath, the team can help you out!

In terms of nightlife, Bath isnt best known for such however i have always found socials and club nights to go to. The university has its own club nights, including one aimed for the sports people on a wednesday. Furthermore, joining a society opens up a whole host of socials and i rarely found myself going a week without having something. There are also a few clubs in town which people go to and they play different music/vibes on different days so its about finding which you like. And anyway, bristol is only ten minutes on the train and have buses back until 4am so thats always a close option!

We are also a STEM university so have a lot of high quality science equipment and are rated very highly for our science courses! You'll be able to take part in labs an experiments through your time here so absolutely Bath fits the science environment.

You can find out about our accomodation here: https://www.bath.ac.uk/professional-services/student-accommodation/ . While Bath may be seen as a more expensive town there are definetely affordable options available for all your years at the university and lots of financial support is offered.

The best place to go for jobs is on the student website - most universities will probably have a place to look at for this. There are lots of roles you can take up on campus or as a student ambassador where you can pick up hours based on your availability for a decent pay.

Finally Bath univeristy is a campus university with everything in one place which is only a 10 minute bus from the city centre. The buses run approx every 15 minutes so you wont get stuck and the city centre is also all together so everything is within walking distance!

Overall, scour through the websites, try and visit on open days and talk to current students. There's lots to consider inside and out of your course - have a look at the support thats offered, whether you like the look of the city, maybe acces to home?

I hope this helped and good luck with your decision!

- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Reply 8
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i would cut out Bath and maybe Cardiff for nightlife, but great for safe. the rest are great aside from the safe aspect.

cardiff has a quite good nightlife, i agree with bath but i think you are being a bit harsh on cardiff. also cardiff is a big capital city, it’s relatively safe compared to bigger cities but it definitely has it problems.
Reply 9
Original post by user796

bath accommodation is extortionate, £200 ish a week for an en-suite room! i had an offer from them but chose to reject it for this reason. also nightlife probably isn’t great but it’s what you make of it. it is a great uni with a great placement year scheme tho. have you researched birmingham? it’s got impressive sports facilities on campus since the commonwealth games was hosted in there.
Original post by A Rolling Stone

Cardiff has fantastic nightlife. Amongst the best in the UK.
Original post by maddyloveridge1
cardiff has a quite good nightlife, i agree with bath but i think you are being a bit harsh on cardiff. also cardiff is a big capital city, it’s relatively safe compared to bigger cities but it definitely has it problems.

yeah fair enough!
Original post by user796

Hiya!

Wish you the best of luck making your choices! I know how difficult it can be - I had a hard time when I applied myself!

So cardiff is pretty sporty! We have our own sports facilities right onsite one of our accommodation complexes. We're very competitive when it comes to our sports teams, especially for the yearly Varsity when we go up against Swansea! Its a lovely campus since its a great mix of a city and nature - there is always lovely greenery nearby. It's actually right next to city center, so most people don't use the buses or much public transport at all! But we do have a train station right on campus and buses are pretty decent. Ubers are generally a lot cheaper than other cities (I've paid £4 for a journey once!)

Accomodation is also super affordable here - its known as one of the more cheaper student cities to live in!

Nightlife is great here, Cardiff is very much known as a party university haha. The Student Union holds club nights a couple of nights per week, and the campus is right next to city center so you often get a lot of students on campus late at night walking to the center. It's quite nice, makes it feel quite safe :smile:

The science department is good here! Cardiff is known for our research, and there's a lot going on for STEM here. There's loads o support for career development - the university offers summer internships for students. I've actually just finished one this summer, and it's been an amazing experience! Please do let me know if you had any other questions :smile:

- Fatiha, Cardiff Uni Student Rep
Original post by user796

Leeds or Newcastle
Original post by maddyloveridge1
bath accommodation is extortionate, £200 ish a week for an en-suite room!

Which universities offer less than £200 for an ensuite room a week that is on campus and does not require 1st year students to commute?
Original post by BubblesBB
Which universities offer less than £200 for an ensuite room a week that is on campus and does not require 1st year students to commute?

Swansea for one and there will be many others in Wales and the North of England
Medium En-suite £177.00 £7,080.00
Premium En-suite £183.00 £7,320.00
Original post by swanseajack1
Swansea for one and there will be many others in Wales and the North of England
Medium En-suite £177.00 £7,080.00
Premium En-suite £183.00 £7,320.00

Lancaster for another
Most bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms cost £177.59 per week on a 40 week contract
Original post by swanseajack1
Lancaster for another
Most bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms cost £177.59 per week on a 40 week contract

or Aberystwyth

Weekly Cost 2023/2024
Length of Contract 2023/2024
Single en suite £167.93 40 weeks**
Reply 18
Original post by BubblesBB

most other unis outside london and the south west. if you count a 10 min walk to campus as a “commute” then sure there are less but there are still plenty. what student can afford to pay over £200 a week without help from parents? i certainly can’t and my mum is not in a position to help me out.
Hello, good time. I want to apply for a bachelor's degree in sports science for South Korea, but I am left with four universities which one to choose. In terms of dormitories, university facilities, sports facilities and university environment, Ihwa University, Sunchun Hyang University, Kangwon University and Hanam University and among these four, I don't know which one to choose. It has all these conditions, and I want to apply for the GKS scholarship, but I am stuck between these four universities, which one is suitable for my field.
If you can guide me, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending