The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

History & Politics

Hi everyone - looking for some advice here. I took some time off after A levels last year and looking to finalise my options for a History and Politics undergrad degree. My results were A*A*A with an A* in my EPQ. Keen on Edinburgh, LSE, King's, UCL but aware they are all very hard to get into. Any ideas on other universities - would prefer a campus style university but not in a big city as already applying to big cities. Thank you so much
Reply 1
Original post by tinawalsh
Hi everyone - looking for some advice here. I took some time off after A levels last year and looking to finalise my options for a History and Politics undergrad degree. My results were A*A*A with an A* in my EPQ. Keen on Edinburgh, LSE, King's, UCL but aware they are all very hard to get into. Any ideas on other universities - would prefer a campus style university but not in a big city as already applying to big cities. Thank you so much

Here's some suggestions:

Royal Holloway: it's a bit easier to get into if you want a safe option, but still a great uni, it has an absolutely gorgeous campus, it's close to London so you're not too far off from the big city experience, they offer HisPol and IR as an undergrad.

University of York: it's a really good uni and I've heard good things about their history department, they offer HisPol, it's a collegiate uni (you get the comfort of a campus, but still within the city).

Oxbridge: both are collegiate, although Cambridge is a rather quieter city, world-class history departments and great HisPol courses, yes they are difficult to get into, but you definitely have the grades as a prerequisite!

University of Warwick: offer HisPol, located in Coventry, just overall a great uni.

Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by tinawalsh

Hi! It seems we are in a very similar situation because I'm on a gap year after getting the exact same results (A*A*A and an A* in epq) and have applied for History, hopefully going to Edinbugh!
I would recommend looking into York because they are a campus uni about a 30 minutes bus from the centre and, though I've not visited the uni, the city is lovely and I have friends studying humanities there who love it.
Birmingham is also a campus uni, my brother did History and Politics there and had a great time. Obviously a big city but the uni is at one site and most students end up living in Selly Oak which is right next to it.
Then these aren't campus but Bristol and Sheffield (possibly Newcastle as well) are all comparitively quite small cities with a lot going on, a big student population, and one main uni campus area. By small I mean, they are really easy to walk everywhere and most things a student would experience are right in the city centre.
I'm from Sheffield so have done lots of stuff with the History department here and they are really good, the accomodations are walkable to the centre without being in it and it is a very green city - so good if you like being in nature. Also someone once told me we have the highest rate of students who end up staying in the city after moving here which I feel like must be a sign we are doing something right!
I hope this helped, and good luck with your applications!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending