The Student Room Group

How many sessions did it take for you to successfully wear contact lenses?

How many sessions did it take for you to successfully wear contact lenses?
Reply 1
2nd unsuccessful session
Only 1 at the opticians after many tries and nearly calling it a day, but at home I still struggle and there have been days where I’ve just given up.
Gave up. Tried a few times, landed up with obvious bruises on my face but couldn't overcome my blink reflex so continue to wear glasses
(edited 1 year ago)
lol this is why im reluctant to try contact lenses
I managed to do it successfully on my 3rd attempt. Taking them out was really easy, I found putting them in harder
Got it first time. Never had an issue since and I've been wearing them for like 5 years.

You just need to make sure the correct side is facing up and that you use a technique that works for you.
It took me three attempts. Now I can pop them out without a mirror, but still need one to get them in:colondollar:

The key (in my opinion) is to have a dry hands, so essentially DO NOT moisturise until after putting in your contact lenses.
Stretch your eye open with one hand use a finger from the other hand to place it one your eye, blink a few times and it normally settles into place, if not take, use some solution to help.

I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it :smile:
i find contact lenses fairly easy! i’d struggled and given up out of frustration like… twice at the start but now usually i can put them in in one go. my issue lies with putting them on inside out, this happens around 50% of the time and i can never figure out which side is the right side until i actually put it in LOL :frown: (if anyone has any advice for that i’d appreciate it haha)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Any tips for people with sensitive eyes (strong eye reflex)?
Original post by jae jae

Opt for a softer lens if possible, and a silicone hydrogel one. They allow more oxygen into the eyes and reduce the risk of them getting dry as quickly.

Keep blinking after the lenses are in your eye to move them into place.

Ensure the lenses are the correct way round before putting them in.

Ensure your hands are clean and dry beforehand.

Be gentle and if your eyes are ejecting the lenses due to irritation, don't itch them as this could result in a corneal abrasion which will only make lenses more uncomfortable for you.

If necessary, you can purchase some eyedrops that are compatible with contact lens use to help soothe/prevent dryness and irritation.

If you find your eyes are really not handling them well, then it may just be that glasses are the best option for you.

Above all, seek advice from your optician.
(edited 1 year ago)
Just the once. Some days they pop in perfectly but other days are a struggle. I always put in contact-friendly eye drops afterwards and throughout the day if my eyes start feeling dry or irritated.
1, but it took me a years to learn to put them fast and from the first attempt.
In this weather my eyes are dry, so I don't even bother putting contacts in, I just wear glasses which is strange because I work for a contact lens distributor.
Original post by jae jae

Hold your eyelids (on the eyelashes) until the lens is in. It takes time to practice.

Everyone has their own problems to work on, so it is better to do it with an experienced optician or assistant. It takes time to learn to put contacts in and take them out.
Reply 14
Original post by Kathy89
Hold your eyelids (on the eyelashes) until the lens is in. It takes time to practice.

Everyone has their own problems to work on, so it is better to do it with an experienced optician or assistant. It takes time to learn to put contacts in and take them out.

Thanks
Probably took me 3 times to insert contact lenses my first time. My top tips for putting in your lenses are:

1. Make sure your hands are clean and thoroughly dry.
2. Make sure the lens isn’t inside out, you’ll know if the lens is the right way up because it will look like a little bowl.
3. Hold the lens on the tip of your forefinger (on your dominant hand) (the hand you use for writing). Using your non-dominant hand, hold your upper eyelid up. Pull down the lower eyelid with the middle or ring finger of your dominant hand.
4. Look in the mirror and place the lens on the lower white part of your eye. Look down into the lens and close your eyes to re-centre the lens.

Persistence is the key; it gets easier each time you try. The first time you manage to put them in and take them out is the hardest and after that it gets easier each time.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Tina

Quick Reply

Latest