The Student Room Group

Level 3 Understanding Mental Health question help!?

Currently on the final question of my first unit but, this question just doesn't make any sense to me. I'm hoping someone could rephrase it for me or just put it in laymen's terms...

"Analyse how the legacy of previous approaches may affect current mental health service delivery"
Does not make sense to me. May be you had addressed some approaches in the previous questions
I have completed this qualification, and I think it is to do with how have past laws impacted modern delivery. Which unit is this, I'll check my notes. This is: "Three key issues persist as a consequence of previous approaches. They are the patriarchal attitudes of health professionals, staff being unable to adapt to new practices, and existing accommodation not being fit for the purpose to be used."
(edited 1 year ago)
It refers to how attitudes regarding mental health have changed but historical approaches are still present.. such as religious beliefs and not been treated fairly.
Reply 4
Original post by Dragonborn1996
Currently on the final question of my first unit but, this question just doesn't make any sense to me. I'm hoping someone could rephrase it for me or just put it in laymen's terms...

"Analyse how the legacy of previous approaches may affect current mental health service delivery"

Hi. I'm currently stuck on this question to, did u find an answer eventually, and if so could u help me? ☺️
Reply 5
Original post by Nickymc
Hi. I'm currently stuck on this question to, did u find an answer eventually, and if so could u help me? ☺️

Hey did you manage to find the answer to this? Can you help me
Hi Dragonborn 1996! 🙂

I'm not totally sure what assessment you are doing, so I don't know the exact context of the question you are feeling stuck with.
However, by the phrasing of it, to me it seems to ask how the historical/former scientific and everyday attitudes/theories about mental health and mental health practices - however outdated, but old habits die hard - filter through to and influence/affect how mental health services and support is being given by professionals today. Like the ones commenting me before mentioned, it could be things like discrimination, stigma, gender bias, and so on. For example, misconceptions such as men should not be reaching out for help with their mental wellbeing, and when they do, they are being treated with less empathy. Or, former practices in mental health institutions of treating patients as less of human/sentient beings and administering treatments to them that actually cause more harm than good, i.e. overmedicating, sedating people whenever they are in distress. These, however seen more and more as inaccurate and inhumane, in some form still can be seen in some places and overall attitudes towards people with mental health conditions.

So I would suggest try to think about how malpractices, unfair or inaccurate, not person-centred treatment can be seen today, either by first-or second-hand experience, media representations of mentally troubled individuals or mental health institutions, diagnostic criteria, psychiatric practices, etc.

I hope I managed to answer your question (and not something else, haha 😀 ) and provide some clarity and not more confusion.

Viki
3rd year Psychology and Sociology Student
University of Suffolk
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending