The Student Room Group

History and geography

Im in yr. 9 rn and i chose both history and geography for gcse and now im doubting myself on the choice i am good at both history and geography and i am slightly better at history but i like geography a bit more but in geography we have 2 teachers i rlly like one of them and their teaching methods are very good while i hate the other teacher and i score worse when i am with her but i rlly like geo to give it up (and btw i dont want to do either for uni)
Reply 1
Original post by Dread_dummy112
Im in yr. 9 rn and i chose both history and geography for gcse and now im doubting myself on the choice i am good at both history and geography and i am slightly better at history but i like geography a bit more but in geography we have 2 teachers i rlly like one of them and their teaching methods are very good while i hate the other teacher and i score worse when i am with her but i rlly like geo to give it up (and btw i dont want to do either for uni)

Our school has two teachers for Geography too, one guy who's strict but much better for learning and one who is strict but in the way that they can't control the class, I knew that if I had her I would probably not do as well in my exams. Thankfully I got the man so I was all good, but if you end up with a teacher you don't like I'd assume you can switch in the early days of year 10, if you really want to do Geography however, my advice would be to see who has what lessons when, generally at my school if someone switched a choice it would be fine but a lot of the time also, it would force them to change classes for their other lessons too so that they can do their choices with the timetable (eg. switching DT for French would mean not having History first thing on a Monday but now last thing on a Tuesday, with a different teacher [MAYBE]).
So basically; I say go for both, they're really fun, and if you end up with a teacher you dislike, either switch in the early weeks or (maybe if you can be bothered) just figure out a way you can switch classes and thus: teachers (I hope I explained that in enough detail).
Original post by cbrr
Our school has two teachers for Geography too, one guy who's strict but much better for learning and one who is strict but in the way that they can't control the class, I knew that if I had her I would probably not do as well in my exams. Thankfully I got the man so I was all good, but if you end up with a teacher you don't like I'd assume you can switch in the early days of year 10, if you really want to do Geography however, my advice would be to see who has what lessons when, generally at my school if someone switched a choice it would be fine but a lot of the time also, it would force them to change classes for their other lessons too so that they can do their choices with the timetable (eg. switching DT for French would mean not having History first thing on a Monday but now last thing on a Tuesday, with a different teacher [MAYBE]).
So basically; I say go for both, they're really fun, and if you end up with a teacher you dislike, either switch in the early weeks or (maybe if you can be bothered) just figure out a way you can switch classes and thus: teachers (I hope I explained that in enough detail).

Thanks for the advice i am going to do both and if i get the teacher i dont really want i'll just swap
Original post by Dread_dummy112

Hi there!

I did history (not geography) at GCSEs and loved it - but i've always heard that GCSE geography is really interesting! :awesome: I defo think that who your teachers are have an impact on how well you concentrate in class, how well you're motivated to do the homework etc. :angelblush: However, I do think that if you like the subject enough, then it won't have that much of an effect on your performance! Esp as geography isn't something like maths where you kinda need to be taught in the classroom or else you won't understand anything :biggrin: - you can definitely use revision guides and online websites/youtube vids to go over topics that you might have struggled with when being taught by the teacher you don't like as much. :dancing2:

I know of a few people in my year when i did history GCSE who actually changed classes (and teachers at the same time) as we had like two or three classes that did history GCSE. You could consider talking to your tutor before GCSEs start and see if they can talk to the geography teachers to change the teacher you're allocated to, so that you start GCSEs with a fresh mind and motivated to attend your lessons! :groovy:

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest