The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Oxford Chem/biochem

Hi guys,

I got rejected after interview last year when I applied to Oxford for Biochemistry. I have just got my results and I got 3 A* in maths, chemistry and religious studies and an A in biology. I am assessing whether to reapply this year to pure chem instead of biochem on the grounds that it will be easier to get an offer considering my disappointing bio result. What are your thoughts on this guys? I am aware that the biochem offer is A*AA and pure them is A*A*A, and that bio is not even a required subject for biochem, but I'm still a bit confused, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks,
Francis
An A in Biology is not a disappointing result and that is a stellar set of A-Levels which does meet the entry requirements for Biochemistry, so why would you want to apply to another course out of a perceived notion that you'll be more likely to secure an offer for Chemistry at Oxford? That's bad and suggests you're chasing Oxford rather than the course you'd like to do. So, before you decide your next steps, keep in mind that you choose the degree first, then the university, not the other way around.

You should ask yourself, do you have an offer for another university? Do you think you'd be happy there? Do you really want to risk taking a gap year just for the sake of Oxford, with absolutely no guarantees you'll get in this time around? I understand the allure of Oxford, but if you already have a place elsewhere, you can still excel there. By reapplying, you have little to win (just a fancy university) and everything to lose (you might not get it and to your own effects and purposes, wasted a year of your life for nothing). Decide carefully!
Original post by FranekG
Hi guys,

I got rejected after interview last year when I applied to Oxford for Biochemistry. I have just got my results and I got 3 A* in maths, chemistry and religious studies and an A in biology. I am assessing whether to reapply this year to pure chem instead of biochem on the grounds that it will be easier to get an offer considering my disappointing bio result. What are your thoughts on this guys? I am aware that the biochem offer is A*AA and pure them is A*A*A, and that bio is not even a required subject for biochem, but I'm still a bit confused, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks,
Francis

Honestly A*A*A*A is enough to land you an offer in either (assuming you perform well enough in your interviews) - I would say you should only apply for pure chemistry over biochemistry if you consider yourself far more invested in chemistry than biochemistry.

Answering honestly, are you invested enough in pure chemistry to want to spend four years of your life on it?
Reply 3
Hi Franek, I was wondering if there is any way we can message privately. Im in year 13, applying to oxford for biochemistry. And I was wondering if you could offer any information/advice about the interview questions last year?
Thank you :smile:
i would apply to the degree with the easier chance to gain an offer :smile:
Original post by liawarren1
Hi Franek, I was wondering if there is any way we can message privately. Im in year 13, applying to oxford for biochemistry. And I was wondering if you could offer any information/advice about the interview questions last year?
Thank you :smile:

Hi Lia,
I'm the same! Which college did you apply to?
Reply 6
Original post by alspals2006
Hi Lia,

Hi, I applied to Brasenose. what about you?
Reply 7
Hi Lia,

And I'm the same too! Have you guys heard from your colleges yet about interviews or not?
Original post by liawarren1
Hi, I applied to Brasenose. what about you?

Merton x
Original post by kexno_27
And I'm the same too! Have you guys heard from your colleges yet about interviews or not?

Yes, I have an interview! What about you?
Reply 10

I had one with St Cat for biochem. How are you preping for it? I am in my gap year so haven't touch chem/bio stuff in a while.
Reply 11

Yes I have an interview too! Preparing now but I can feel the nerves starting to get to me as the days get closer.
how did they go? x
Reply 13
how did they go? x

had two interviews. First one went better than the second. Becoz the second one threw me off, i’m now thinking my chances of getting in are slim** hbu?
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by kexno_27
had two interviews. First one went better than the second. Becoz the second one threw me off, i’m now thinking my chances of getting in are slim** hbu?

yeah the opposite with me - the first one i thought went okay but after the second one realised went terrible lmfao. i think chances for me are slim too sadly ☹️ which college did you apply for again? results should be coming out tomorrow morning!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending