The Student Room Group

The iPad vs Laptop for University debate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chronoscope
I have both iPad and laptop. I use both probably equally but I do prefer my laptop. My DSA software means my notetaking is more efficient on my laptop for consolidating, and essays, but I prefer my iPad for other things like using Quizlet and doing revision on OneNote. Bc of dyslexia I make a lot of mistakes on paper and my hand gets so inky from writing so the iPad is more beneficial for me.

My thoughts on laptops
- If you qualify for DSA software it might not run on iPad or you may be limited as to the functionality
- More storage space (you can get steam games!)
- More RAM
- can hook up to a monitor to get a bigger screen
- you can get Anki on laptops whereas you can't on iPad

My thoughts on ipads
- I think Apple now have to have the UCB-C charging cable instead of the lightning charger
- you have to pay for iCloud storage - I hadn't considered this when I got mine, so I use OneDrive instead
- the VAT is £££ :shock:
- it's useful for shorter lectures and lighter to carry around
- GoodNotes 5 used to be a one-time purchase but is now subscription based
- portable Bluetooth keyboards are a good alternative to the Apple Keyboard which is slightly expensive

isn’t notability subscription based? i thought goodnores was still a one time purchase
Original post by cersef
isn’t notability subscription based? i thought goodnotes was still a one time purchase

I actually haven't checked Notability recently (i will check tomorrow :tongue:
I can't remember which but I think if you had Goodnotes before a certain date you got a legacy thing which made some features still free :smile:
Original post by cersef
isn’t notability subscription based? i thought goodnores was still a one time purchase

It's the other way around
Notability is a one time purchase, Goodnotes you have to pay again each time they bring out a new version. When Goodnotes 5 came out, anyone that used Goodnotes 4 had to pay again if they wanted the upgrade and they removed Goodnotes 4 from the Apple Store
I use Notability on my iPad to take notes in lectures and the above was the reason I chose that over Goodnotes
Original post by Chronoscope
I actually haven't checked Notability recently (i will check tomorrow :tongue:
I can't remember which but I think if you had Goodnotes before a certain date you got a legacy thing which made some features still free :smile:

Original post by MedicWil
It's the other way around
Notability is a one time purchase, Goodnotes you have to pay again each time they bring out a new version. When Goodnotes 5 came out, anyone that used Goodnotes 4 had to pay again if they wanted the upgrade and they removed Goodnotes 4 from the Apple Store
I use Notability on my iPad to take notes in lectures and the above was the reason I chose that over Goodnotes

oh, that's weird bc on the appstore it's free and has monthly/yearly subscriptions under in-app purchases
there's also a bunch of people who complained about it becoming a subscription based program?

but goodnotes shows a one time purchase after downloading it for free, but ig that's because you have to pay each time
Original post by 04MR17
Laptops - advantages
- Keyboard. If you're used to the traditional keyboard, typing assignments will always be faster on a laptop for you than a tablet. Smashing out 3000 word essays would be a little bit trickier on a purely touch screen device.

Tablets - disadvantages
- Typing. Tablets are perhaps most useful for notetaking, but you won't be assessed on your lovely notes from a lecture. Your degree will be classified based on exams, essays, assignments, research projects and more. Tablets aren't designed to write dissertations on.

You can get bluetooth keyboards that connect to your tablet and don't impact the portability too much. I think this factor greatly reduces the impact of the above points.

My own thoughts are, if you intend on having a PC tower at home or in your accommodation and using something portable as a secondary device, then buying a laptop seems a little bit pointless. This is my current situation, and I'm looking at both the Samsung Galaxy Tab and Amazon Fire models. I'll probably make my final decision in a couple of months' time.

I'm interested to hear any thoughts from people in a similar situation!
Windows (not Mac or Chrome OS imo as most places use Windows computers I think so you'll have to get used to knowing how to use a Windows computer in my opinion regardless of your needs) computer (if you're not doing an arts based course such as Music, Film, DT, Photography, Animation, fine art etc)>> Something to write notes e.g pen and paper, iPad, note taking tablet, Samsung Galaxy tab S/Flagship series etc or simply using your computer.

I'll think that having a computer and being able to know how do use it for basic things is more important than an iPad :dontknow:. As in if I had to ditch one it would be the iPad without thinking about it.

Chromebooks are a no-go for university in my opinion.
Original post by 04MR17

. It's about what works for you.

Hopefully this quick run-down has been useful and your comments would be very welcome. :biggrin:

I had a few that used to work for me
I don’t think we allowed to buy them anymore
Original post by Talkative Toad
Chromebooks are a no-go for university in my opinion.

Agreed :angry:
Original post by 04MR17
Agreed :angry:

They suck so bad, don't understand how some kids in secondary school have one of the latest iPhones in their hands but only have a Chromebook or poor quality laptop in general, talk about priorities (I'm aware that you can pay a monthly bill for a phone but still).

Having a decent/expensive computer is much more important than having a decent/expensive smartphone phone and decent/expensive tablet in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending