The Student Room Group

UCL A100 2023 Entry

Welcome to the UCL A100 2023 Entry Discussion.

UCL A100 2022 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6963386

For general information click:https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/

For entry requirements click: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, mention or advertise group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

So I guess I'll go first, I am very keen on getting an offer from UCL. I've heard from past applicants that UCL was holistic when it came to applications, however they've updated their website to say that "For applications received for 2023 entry onwards, we will no longer be using the Personal Statement as part of the selection procedure". Now I'm a little worried as I felt my PS was one of my strong points. Also does this mean they will straight up ghost my PS? Anyways I'm assuming that this just means I have to do very good in the BMAT.

I am a little worried though as it is my "dream university" and I'm guessing it's safe to say they're not holistic anymore.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sami Sami
So I guess I'll go first, I am very keen on getting an offer from UCL. I've heard from past applicants that UCL was holistic when it came to applications, however they've updated their website to say that "For applications received for 2023 entry onwards, we will no longer be using the Personal Statement as part of the selection procedure". Now I'm a little worried as I felt my PS was one of my strong points. Also does this mean they will straight up ghost my PS? Anyways I'm assuming that this just means I have to do very good in the BMAT.

I am a little worried though as it is my "dream university" and I'm guessing it's safe to say they're not holistic anymore.

Wassup fellow UCL applicant. I attended the virtual open day a few months ago and it seems like what you're guessing is true, as in they'll use the BMAT for assessing applicants. Are you an A-Level student? I've just received my Scottish Highers results and I got A in the wrong subjects (maths + physics) instead of Biology and Chem. So on top of revising for BMAT (can't move on to section 2 since i'm stuck on problem solving) I have to work extra hard so that my Advanced Highers predictions are As in Bio and Chem. I'm also keen on getting an offer from UCL since my fee status is likely going to be intl and the global scholarship is like a lifesaver for me
Original post by Rottero_A21
Wassup fellow UCL applicant. I attended the virtual open day a few months ago and it seems like what you're guessing is true, as in they'll use the BMAT for assessing applicants. Are you an A-Level student? I've just received my Scottish Highers results and I got A in the wrong subjects (maths + physics) instead of Biology and Chem. So on top of revising for BMAT (can't move on to section 2 since i'm stuck on problem solving) I have to work extra hard so that my Advanced Highers predictions are As in Bio and Chem. I'm also keen on getting an offer from UCL since my fee status is likely going to be intl and the global scholarship is like a lifesaver for me

Hey! Yeah, looks like we go the short end of the stick. I'm transitioning into Y13 right now for A-levels. I've got a LONG road ahead of me, I still have to do my September exams for my predicted grades, my UCAT and the BMAT. I haven't even started BMAT prep yet as my UCAT is in 5 days, then I need to cram for my UCAS grades. The global scholarship sounds amazing, I hope we both get offers! :biggrin:

Hiya!

Hmm, i'm not an admissions officer so I'm not 100% sure, but that probably does sound like they won't look at your PS at all! Some unis still do, like Oxbridge ofc, but UCL has probably changed their admissions process in that way as they receive lots of applicants and it's much easier for them to filter through applicants by using actual numbers like from your BMAT score. :gthumb:

In a way, the fact that the website says that is a good thing in a way bc they're being more transparent about their application process, and you know that the decision they make will be based off your BMAT score and interviews (and A-Levels) - exactly what you said! There's not really that much you can do about it, other than prep well for the BMAT and interviews, but i'm sure you'll smash them :h:.

Lmk if you have any questions about UCL or the application process! :blush:

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
If anyone has any questions about what the application process for UCL med was like, what it's like at UCL as a med student or if there's anything else you want to know then lmk! :^_^: I'm more than happy to help out future UCL med students and cheer you all on :h::dancing2:

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
Original post by Medic Mind
Hiya!

Hmm, i'm not an admissions officer so I'm not 100% sure, but that probably does sound like they won't look at your PS at all! Some unis still do, like Oxbridge ofc, but UCL has probably changed their admissions process in that way as they receive lots of applicants and it's much easier for them to filter through applicants by using actual numbers like from your BMAT score. :gthumb:

In a way, the fact that the website says that is a good thing in a way bc they're being more transparent about their application process, and you know that the decision they make will be based off your BMAT score and interviews (and A-Levels) - exactly what you said! There's not really that much you can do about it, other than prep well for the BMAT and interviews, but i'm sure you'll smash them :h:.

Lmk if you have any questions about UCL or the application process! :blush:

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind

In this case, would you advise earlier (like much earlier) revision if I want a chance at being selected for interview?
(edited 1 year ago)
In this case, would you advise earlier (like much earlier) revision if I want a chance at being selected for interview?

Depends on what you mean by much earlier. Are you entering year 13? With the BMAT I'd recommend giving yourself 6-8 weeks to prep for it, with light revision for the first few weeks and increasing it as you go nearer the exam time. I really recommend not revising for longer than that, as you'll burn out lack motivation for studying for the BMAT anymore; and so your score will decrease, even though you're effectively giving yourself more time to revise! :confused:

I wouldn't stress too much about it and over-do the prep, just bc you think that the more you do, the better you'll perform. It's true to an extent, but beyond a certain point it becomes damaging on your score. If you're applying for 2023 entry though, the BMAT is in just over 8 weeks anyway so starting revision in the next few weeks is what i'd recommend :u:

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
Reply 8
Is UCL changing interview style from Panel to MMI from this year for 2023 entry? Website states anticipate ….
Original post by SRmedp
Is UCL changing interview style from Panel to MMI from this year for 2023 entry? Website states anticipate ….

We can only go off the website - if that's what it says, I'd assume that's what they're doing? If you link us to the page, we can probably comment more :smile:
Hey, UCL have a webpage for 2023 entry : https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/2023-entry
I was wondering if their "Access UCL Scheme" page for contextual offers was also updated for 2023 (or if they're keeping it the same). It would only be logical to assume this if they've linked it?
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this as I'm totally new to this forum stuff. I'm also thinking I'd like to apply to UCL this year but I'm kinda on the fence for the following reason: are london unis more likely to accept students that come from london? I feel like this is something that I've been hearing a lot especially since I've seen a lot of londoners that apply to PURLEY london unis e.g. UCL, KCL, St Georges, QMUL and they have decent looking stats like 2800 ucat A*AA great personal statement etc. (like really great stats but nothing like gobsmackingly omg they're the smartest person ever amazing). But as someone who comes from a really small town in norfolk thats like 3 hours away from london no one from my school with those kinda stats would even DREAM of applying to 4 london unis only like 1 at most and I feel it has to do with the fact that a lot of places are more partial to local applicants. I get that its obvs gonna be a lot easier for someone from that area to find accomodation seeing as they'll likely be staying home espec since uni accom isn't cheap at all, but I feel like it puts me at a massive disadvantage and I'm really struggling to navigate my way around this. I'm scared that they would only take me if I was SIGNIFICANTLY better than any londoners who apply. Any advice on what to do about this and if it should(n't) be something I bare in mind when strategically applying would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by tooma123
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this as I'm totally new to this forum stuff. I'm also thinking I'd like to apply to UCL this year but I'm kinda on the fence for the following reason: are london unis more likely to accept students that come from london? I feel like this is something that I've been hearing a lot especially since I've seen a lot of londoners that apply to PURLEY london unis e.g. UCL, KCL, St Georges, QMUL and they have decent looking stats like 2800 ucat A*AA great personal statement etc. (like really great stats but nothing like gobsmackingly omg they're the smartest person ever amazing). But as someone who comes from a really small town in norfolk thats like 3 hours away from london no one from my school with those kinda stats would even DREAM of applying to 4 london unis only like 1 at most and I feel it has to do with the fact that a lot of places are more partial to local applicants. I get that its obvs gonna be a lot easier for someone from that area to find accomodation seeing as they'll likely be staying home espec since uni accom isn't cheap at all, but I feel like it puts me at a massive disadvantage and I'm really struggling to navigate my way around this. I'm scared that they would only take me if I was SIGNIFICANTLY better than any londoners who apply. Any advice on what to do about this and if it should(n't) be something I bare in mind when strategically applying would be greatly appreciated!

:hugs: It sounds like you’re really anxious about this, so I’m happy to have some good news: none of the London medical schools care at all about where you live. The exception might be some WP schemes/KCL’s EMDP degree as they are explicitly only open to local students, but this has nothing to do with acceptance onto the degree generally.

As you say, Londoners are more likely to apply, to want to stay in London etc but they’re not favoured by the admissions process. If you are over the stats cutoffs to interview, you’ll interview.
hi everyone, I was just wondering if UCL gives out interviews for UCL with an AAA instead of A*AA e.g. because of Access to UCL or contextuals?
Hi I am thinking of applying to UCL. However one big concern for me is that I have not done an EPQ. Would this severely disadvantage my application to UCL?
Original post by Buddy564
Hi I am thinking of applying to UCL. However one big concern for me is that I have not done an EPQ. Would this severely disadvantage my application to UCL?

No
doesnt it say that on the website??
Original post by roboticat01
hi everyone, I was just wondering if UCL gives out interviews for UCL with an AAA instead of A*AA e.g. because of Access to UCL or contextuals?
Reply 17
Does UCL interview in a random order, or is it like BMAT descending?
the average sucessful applicant for ucl has BMAT scores of 5.9, 5.8, 3.4A. Do you think this will lower or increase this year?
Original post by val7322
the average sucessful applicant for ucl has BMAT scores of 5.9, 5.8, 3.4A. Do you think this will lower or increase this year?

Wait what -

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending