The Student Room Group

UCL Biomedical Engineering 2023 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caprisun99
Don't you have to put the one with the highest conditions as your firm? Or did they both give you the same conditions?

Not necessarily. But I am still undecided on whether I like Imperial or UCL more - UCL has a better vibe but imperial is better in terms of study. I will probably use the 2 offer-holder days to decide.
Reply 41
Hi

I am thinking to apply for biomedical engineering this year. If any of you don't mind, could you share some activities/extra-curricular that you guys did for uni application?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by ddii
Hi

I am thinking to apply for biomedical engineering this year. If any of you don't mind, could you share some activities/extra-curricular that you guys did for uni application?

Hi
I had a week experience at KCL getting involved with medical and engineering lectures and demonstrations.
I also wrote an essay (forced by my school) that allowed me to learn about drug delivery (ie something related to biomedical engineering)
I also attended an engineering university preparation program (run by my school)
These 3 things allowed me to show appreciation and interest of both the “biomedical” element and the “engineering” element of the degree.
I will be joining UCL in September to study biomedical engineering so you can ask me any other questions (in a few months time after I start)
Reply 43
Original post by FatalArcher
Hi
I had a week experience at KCL getting involved with medical and engineering lectures and demonstrations.
I also wrote an essay (forced by my school) that allowed me to learn about drug delivery (ie something related to biomedical engineering)
I also attended an engineering university preparation program (run by my school)
These 3 things allowed me to show appreciation and interest of both the “biomedical” element and the “engineering” element of the degree.
I will be joining UCL in September to study biomedical engineering so you can ask me any other questions (in a few months time after I start)

Did u end up firming ucl instead of imperial?
Original post by Imti777
Did u end up firming ucl instead of imperial?

I missed imperial by one mark in one of my exams, narrowly missing my A*A*A offer.
Reply 45
I missed imperial by one mark in one of my exams, narrowly missing my A*A*A offer.

Unlucky bro, maybe couldve got a remark?

Btw I'm on m gap year and was going to apply for bio eng again. Don't have the grades for imperial this time around so 1st choice will be ucl.

I was wondering if you could tell me how big the cohort is and an estimate of how many people are in the lectures?
Also, have you encountered any biology content yet?

Thanks
Original post by Imti77
Unlucky bro, maybe couldve got a remark?

Btw I'm on m gap year and was going to apply for bio eng again. Don't have the grades for imperial this time around so 1st choice will be ucl.

I was wondering if you could tell me how big the cohort is and an estimate of how many people are in the lectures?
Also, have you encountered any biology content yet?

Thanks

I got a remark but the mark didnt change :frown: it wasnt meant to be I guess.
Good luck for your application, hopefully you get in :smile:
There are 96 of us doing BME; no one is skipping lectures (yet) because they are quite poor with recording the lectures, so even if anyone wanted to, we cant.
Yes - we are doing Cardiac Engineering which requires GCSE knowledge of the heart - that's the only biology so far.
If you have any other questions lmk
I got a remark but the mark didnt change :frown: it wasnt meant to be I guess.
Good luck for your application, hopefully you get in :smile:
There are 96 of us doing BME; no one is skipping lectures (yet) because they are quite poor with recording the lectures, so even if anyone wanted to, we cant.
Yes - we are doing Cardiac Engineering which requires GCSE knowledge of the heart - that's the only biology so far.
If you have any other questions lmk
Hiya, I’m also an offer holder for UCL BME for 2024. I hope you’re enjoying your course so far :smile:.
I wanted to ask about the kind of things you do in labs, as I heard you have 6hrs every week. I had a taster lab with UoSouthampton, but their BME is legit just EEE in a different font, so we only did some soldering and a sad attempt at coding. There was also a biology lab, but I don’t do A level bio so I was clueless in there too..
Thanks for your time in advance if you see this !
Original post by Vikachuu336
Hiya, I’m also an offer holder for UCL BME for 2024. I hope you’re enjoying your course so far :smile:.
I wanted to ask about the kind of things you do in labs, as I heard you have 6hrs every week. I had a taster lab with UoSouthampton, but their BME is legit just EEE in a different font, so we only did some soldering and a sad attempt at coding. There was also a biology lab, but I don’t do A level bio so I was clueless in there too..
Thanks for your time in advance if you see this !
Hello. I am enjoying the course so far and cannot believe there's only 2 more weeks of learning left! In labs we generally make circuits on breadboards, using resistors capacitors and some new components too, like transistors, Op-amps. The aim is to filter out background frequencies to make things like finger pulses or ECGs (the graph you see in hospitals on heart monitors) clear to see. The final outcome is very cool, and the sense of building a functioning circuit is unmatched. We also review medical instruments in labs, and our materials module has a cool project where we use high-grade machines. Don't worry about not doing bio - the required knowledge is GCSE-level, and not challenging. We have programming as well - on a programme called MATLAB - but they teach it from scratch. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions :smile:
Hello. I am enjoying the course so far and cannot believe there's only 2 more weeks of learning left! In labs we generally make circuits on breadboards, using resistors capacitors and some new components too, like transistors, Op-amps. The aim is to filter out background frequencies to make things like finger pulses or ECGs (the graph you see in hospitals on heart monitors) clear to see. The final outcome is very cool, and the sense of building a functioning circuit is unmatched. We also review medical instruments in labs, and our materials module has a cool project where we use high-grade machines. Don't worry about not doing bio - the required knowledge is GCSE-level, and not challenging. We have programming as well - on a programme called MATLAB - but they teach it from scratch. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions :smile:

yo man been looking everywhere on all sorts of forums for help cos im an offer holder for biomedical engineering at UCL imperial and kcl and for most of the past year my plans been firming UCL and insuring KCL, and many scrutinised me for rejecting imperial due to its prestige especially in bioengineering. however i just felt the imperial course was less oriented to my liking and i found ucls modules more appealing, and also didnt like hearing how heavy on workload it is at imperial. but the other day i went to imperials offer holder day and was jus stunned by the tech and quality of their department and its all just messed up my choices because im now worried i may be forgoing a place with modern tech and better research quality to go UCL. so my question to you being a student is what u think of these factors at UCL and whether u think ill find myself quite suitably equipped with both unis in terms of the resources available and modernity of the department and its research quality. and im also wondering whether the workload will be more or less similar at both unis so how are u coping w that at UCL ?
(edited 1 day ago)

Quick Reply

Latest