The Student Room Group

Official: University of St Andrews A100 2023 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
Original post by Hussein2004
I will DM you!!!

Thank you!
What was the lowest UCAT of an RUK applicant who is non-contextual who got an interview at St Andrews this year? The lowest score I have seen is 2830.
Reply 1422
Original post by Drcreamdonut
What was the lowest UCAT of an RUK applicant who is non-contextual who got an interview at St Andrews this year? The lowest score I have seen is 2830.

It was 2800 for contextual. I don’t think they differentiate between contextual and non-contextual i.e, if 2 applicants one contextual one whose not, had 2800 they would both get interviewed.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1423
Original post by ARB04
It was 2800 for contextual. I don’t think they differentiate between contextual and non-contextual i.e, if 2 applicants one contextual one whose not, had 2800 they would both get interviewed.

Is that before or after the 10% UCAT uplift, as this is what they give to contextual applicants?
Original post by GANFYD
Is that before or after the 10% UCAT uplift, as this is what they give to contextual applicants?

Ah yes excellent question, because we can gauge what score will be safe. Sorry for this not being in the new thread, this one is likely followed by many more people.
Hi, Just posting this question as I'm interested in any responses and it didnt get much response on a separate thread:

"I was wondering if anyone could help me with some knowledge. I have an offer for Glasgow, Aberdeen and St. Andrews for medicine but am quite keen to go to St. Andrews. I am however struggling to understand there transition after 3rd year to a partner medical school. My questions are:

- Would there be extra course work that students from St. Andrews would have to learn as surely St. Andrews can't align their course exactly with all the other courses at the different unis as it is a known fact that the course is taught different at different unis?

- how would you integrate into the ranking systems at other unis. As use Aberdeen as an example, they start their ranking system based of of their year 1 or 2 exams (I can't remember) so how would you then join Aberdeen, after being at St. Andrews for three years and integrate into their ranking system? Would you start at the bottom?

- Also how hard is it to get into your top choice of the two when transferring from St. Andrews to the partner uni?

Also if anyone knows, how difficult is it to get accommodation in St. Andrews after year 1?
How can you have offers when the start date is basically past for entrance this year?

Anyway, haven’t a clue about the ranking system.

My opinion -

Accommodation really is tight after first year at St.A and expensive by comparison with others. The three years there and then at a partner Uni is off putting tbh.

Aberdeen accommodation is relatively cheap, but not where I would study. The student satisfaction rate is low, but it is one of the easiest to get into.

Glasgow accommodation is okay, although they had problems placing everyone a couple of years back. It’s quite exam heavy. Over 50% of St.A students got there after three years. Roughly 10% to other partner Unis.
Original post by cute dog
Hi, Just posting this question as I'm interested in any responses and it didnt get much response on a separate thread:

"I was wondering if anyone could help me with some knowledge. I have an offer for Glasgow, Aberdeen and St. Andrews for medicine but am quite keen to go to St. Andrews. I am however struggling to understand there transition after 3rd year to a partner medical school. My questions are:

- Would there be extra course work that students from St. Andrews would have to learn as surely St. Andrews can't align their course exactly with all the other courses at the different unis as it is a known fact that the course is taught different at different unis?

- how would you integrate into the ranking systems at other unis. As use Aberdeen as an example, they start their ranking system based of of their year 1 or 2 exams (I can't remember) so how would you then join Aberdeen, after being at St. Andrews for three years and integrate into their ranking system? Would you start at the bottom?

- Also how hard is it to get into your top choice of the two when transferring from St. Andrews to the partner uni?

Also if anyone knows, how difficult is it to get accommodation in St. Andrews after year 1?

@_Rusty_ is the expert on this as a current student
Original post by MedMama
@_Rusty_ is the expert on this as a current student

Just walking home I’ll send a post in a bit:smile:
Original post by _Rusty_
Just walking home I’ll send a post in a bit:smile:

wow, that is one rapid response :eek: :biggrin:
Original post by cute dog

Firstly, Have you got an offer for 2024 it is this a late post?

You get 2 degrees when coming to St Andrews - a BSc in medicine and an MbChB from your partner medical school so the ranking of the two are independent

In terms of course alignment I don’t know completely how they organise it but there will be communication between the med schools. Your years at the partner end school will be mostly placements so the learning will change.

For Scottish route you put down your preferences and then depending on your ranking in St Andrews you’ll be more likely you are to get your preference.

It is incredibly hard to find student accommodation after first year and private within St Andrews is just as hard. You can find some in neighbouring towns but it’s not ideal. I think it’s just as hard everywhere though.
Original post by MedMama
wow, that is one rapid response :eek: :biggrin:

I don’t mess around 😂
Reply 1432
Hi
What was the lowest UCAT for international students last year? Thanks
Original post by Drcreamdonut

i got 2820 and received an interview
Reply 1434
Hi are international students allowed independent transfer for clinical years ? Thanks
Original post by Tin75
Hi are international students allowed independent transfer for clinical years ? Thanks

What do you mean by independent transfer? International students usually have assigned locations for the clinical years: Manchester for those on English route and Edinburgh for those on Scottish route. Is that what you meant?
Reply 1436
Original post by Shlonkie
What do you mean by independent transfer? International students usually have assigned locations for the clinical years: Manchester for those on English route and Edinburgh for those on Scottish route. Is that what you meant?

No I mean can one apply to say some other Uni which allows transfers.( other than the partner schools) Thanks
Original post by Tin75
No I mean can one apply to say some other Uni which allows transfers.( other than the partner schools) Thanks

There are no other unis that allow transfers, these days, I'm afraid
Original post by GANFYD
There are no other unis that allow transfers, these days, I'm afraid

I was under the impression that a few student go to Cambridge (unofficially) and if you are interested in an MB/PhD UCL or Imperial can accept you. I have seen doctors go down these routes.
Original post by _Rusty_
Firstly, Have you got an offer for 2024 it is this a late post?
You get 2 degrees when coming to St Andrews - a BSc in medicine and an MbChB from your partner medical school so the ranking of the two are independent
In terms of course alignment I don’t know completely how they organise it but there will be communication between the med schools. Your years at the partner end school will be mostly placements so the learning will change.
For Scottish route you put down your preferences and then depending on your ranking in St Andrews you’ll be more likely you are to get your preference.
It is incredibly hard to find student accommodation after first year and private within St Andrews is just as hard. You can find some in neighbouring towns but it’s not ideal. I think it’s just as hard everywhere though.

Which is the most competitive Scottish medical school to transfer to? I assume it is Edinburgh but I wonder if that is the case. Am I correct in saying that most students go to Glasgow?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending