The Student Room Group

University of Sunderland A100 2023 Entry

Welcome to the Sunderland University A100 2023 entry.

Sunderland A100 2022 entry: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6961644

For general information click: https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/medicine/mbchb-medicine/

For entry requirements click: https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/medicine/mbchb-medicine/#fees-and-reqs

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi I’m hoping to apply I was wondering if I would have a chance. My stats are (btw I’m from sctoland) National 5-AAAAABHigher- AAAAAAdvanced higher- AAB (equivalent to A*A*A at A-levels)Ucat- 2520 band 2
Reply 2
Original post by Hasankhan11
Hi I’m hoping to apply I was wondering if I would have a chance. My stats are (btw I’m from sctoland) National 5-AAAAABHigher- AAAAAAdvanced higher- AAB (equivalent to A*A*A at A-levels)Ucat- 2520 band 2

https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/help/school-of-medicine/mbchb-medicine/entry-requirements/
But they only use academics and UCAT as minimum requirements and shortlist using the R&R form
Reply 3
what is sunderland selection process like. I cannot seem to find anything relating to it on their website?
Original post by ate3
what is sunderland selection process like. I cannot seem to find anything relating to it on their website?

Have a read of Appendix G here. No idea what it means in practice though…

https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/images/external-websites/www/help-and-advice/applying/related-downloads/Admissions-Policy-and-Procedure-2023-24-Final_compressed.pdf

That is the current link but I would double check to make sure they don’t update it before you apply. A Google should find it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by GANFYD
https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/help/school-of-medicine/mbchb-medicine/entry-requirements/
But they only use academics and UCAT as minimum requirements and shortlist using the R&R form

As linked in the post by @Backseatdriving it looks like they have abandonned the R&R form and are using CASPER and UCAT instead. This is from Appendix G, pG7 in the document linked. I think the "online interview selection tool" is CASPER. Looks like it is more risky than it was for applicants with low UCAT.

----
The Admissions Process
The admissions process involves three phases academic screen, UCAT/shortlisting and interviews.

Phase 1 Academic Screen
All applicants who fulfil the Academic requirements will be sent an online interview selection tool to be completed before the given deadline.

Phase 2 UCAT/CASPER
Applicants with UCAT total scores in the bottom 2 deciles and/or with a UCAT Situational Judgement Test (SJT) score in band 4 are excluded from further consideration. All remaining applicants whose UCAT score meets our criteria and have fulfilled the requirements detailed in phase 1 will be invited for interview. Shortlisting for interview is based mainly on UCAT score and the interview selection tool. Applicants are encouraged to write about and reflect on an experience they have had which they believe allowed them to develop the skills and attributes they may need for a future career in medicine.
Admissions Tutors assess the interview selection tool results using the following criteria:
Evidence of extensive engagement in activities involving care, support and/or service
The nature of the experience(s) undertaken and the level of the responsibility undertaken
Open ended responses in an SJT assessment
Personality assessment covering the five top level traits of openness, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness and neuroticism

www.sunderland.ac.uk/images/external-websites/www/help-and-advice/applying/related-downloads/Admissions-Policy-and-Procedure-2023-24-Final_compressed.pdf
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TCL
As linked in the post by @Backseatdriving it looks like they have abandonned the R&R form and are using CASPER and UCAT instead. This is from Appendix G, pG7 in the document linked. I think the "online interview selection tool" is CASPER. Looks like it is more risky than it was for applicants with low UCAT.

----
The Admissions Process
The admissions process involves three phases academic screen, UCAT/shortlisting and interviews.

Phase 1 Academic Screen
All applicants who fulfil the Academic requirements will be sent an online interview selection tool to be completed before the given deadline.

Phase 2 UCAT/CASPER
Applicants with UCAT total scores in the bottom 2 deciles and/or with a UCAT Situational Judgement Test (SJT) score in band 4 are excluded from further consideration. All remaining applicants whose UCAT score meets our criteria and have fulfilled the requirements detailed in phase 1 will be invited for interview. Shortlisting for interview is based mainly on UCAT score and the interview selection tool. Applicants are encouraged to write about and reflect on an experience they have had which they believe allowed them to develop the skills and attributes they may need for a future career in medicine.
Admissions Tutors assess the interview selection tool results using the following criteria:
Evidence of extensive engagement in activities involving care, support and/or service
The nature of the experience(s) undertaken and the level of the responsibility undertaken
Open ended responses in an SJT assessment
Personality assessment covering the five top level traits of openness, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness and neuroticism

www.sunderland.ac.uk/images/external-websites/www/help-and-advice/applying/related-downloads/Admissions-Policy-and-Procedure-2023-24-Final_compressed.pdf

Yes, I saw this, but I am not sure it is just UCAT and CASPer, as that would not cover the "Applicants are encouraged to write about and reflect on an experience they have had which they believe allowed them to develop the skills and attributes they may need for a future career in medicine" bit, as CASPer is an online SJT-style test

So CASPer would hit the
"Open ended responses in an SJT assessment"
and
"Personality assessment covering the five top level traits of openness, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness and neuroticism"

but would not cover the
"Evidence of extensive engagement in activities involving care, support and/or service"
and
"The nature of the experience(s) undertaken and the level of the responsibility undertaken"

So I think it is something at least similar to the R&R and CASPer, as per last year
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, I saw this, but I am not sure it is just UCAT and CASPer, as that would not cover the "Applicants are encouraged to write about and reflect on an experience they have had which they believe allowed them to develop the skills and attributes they may need for a future career in medicine" bit, as CASPer is an online SJT-style test

So CASPer would hit the
and
"Personality assessment covering the five top level traits of openness, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness and neuroticism"

but would not cover the
"Evidence of extensive engagement in activities involving care, support and/or service"
and
"The nature of the experience(s) undertaken and the level of the responsibility undertaken"

So I think it is something at least similar to the R&R and CASPer, as per last year

Did they do casper last year?
Reply 8
Original post by Cherrygrape1234
Did they do casper last year?

They ran it as a voluntary trial, so some people sat it and some didn't, but it was not used for shortlisting, apparently
How does this change how they use ucat? Should people with relatively low ucat scores still apply?
Original post by Jopi_Flores
How does this change how they use ucat? Should people with relatively low ucat scores still apply?

It doesn’t, the UCAT part does not seem to have changed
Original post by GANFYD

So CASPer would hit the
and

but would not cover the
and

Would CASPER be done before the interview then/ done at home? Sorry I can't find much about it and I've not heard of it before. Is it online written with questions similar to SJT? But more personal rather than answers that are either right/wrong like in UCAT? And then maybe we would have the R+R form too, if they don't get rid of it.
Thank you :smile:
Original post by moiirra
Would CASPER be done before the interview then/ done at home? Sorry I can't find much about it and I've not heard of it before. Is it online written with questions similar to SJT? But more personal rather than answers that are either right/wrong like in UCAT? And then maybe we would have the R+R form too, if they don't get rid of it.
Thank you :smile:

https://takealtus.com/casper/

It would be done before shortlisting, I suspect and the scores used in shortlisting
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
Does anyone know if they're continuing the maths exam for this year's entry, and if so, what it entails?
Thank you!!!
Original post by GANFYD
https://takealtus.com/casper/

It would be done before shortlisting, I suspect and the scores used in shortlisting
Reply 15
Original post by GANFYD
It doesn’t, the UCAT part does not seem to have changed

It is about as clear as mud! I took:

Shortlisting for interview is based mainly on UCAT score and the interview selection tool.

to mean that they would have a score which combined UCAT and CASPar (which appears to be the interview selection tool) but, as you point out, neither of those appear to include assessment of engagement in activities etc, unless they have an enhanced version of CASPar.
guys do people who done the UCAT have to do the Casper and what is casper as I don't really understand?
Original post by GANFYD

So CASPer would hit the
and

but would not cover the
and

Went to the open day on Saturday. They have confirmed they are not using R&R but instead you will be asked to fill out another form (online with a dropdown menu). Didn’t call it CASPer but basically it’s to limit word count and make it easier for them to mark. In short if you are over the threshold for UCAT and have the right academics they don’t really use them again. They will select for interview using the new form - so on work experience/volunteering.
do you just name experiences or is a form where you have to reflect upon each experience ?
Original post by Llyr123
Went to the open day on Saturday. They have confirmed they are not using R&R but instead you will be asked to fill out another form (online with a dropdown menu). Didn’t call it CASPer but basically it’s to limit word count and make it easier for them to mark. In short if you are over the threshold for UCAT and have the right academics they don’t really use them again. They will select for interview using the new form - so on work experience/volunteering.
Original post by Amed2022
do you just name experiences or is a form where you have to reflect upon each experience ?

Reflect but with a word limit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending