The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University A101 2023 entry

I'm looking to apply to Newcastle for A101 this year for 2023 entry. I can only apply to Newcastle for family related reasons, which is a little frustrating given how competitive it is and how high their UCAT threshold is, but I'm remaining hopeful!Only a couple of months until the application is due. Keeping my fingers crossed it's the only time I'll need to apply!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm also applying to Newcastle A101 and A100 this year! I don't think my UCAT score will be high enough for A101 but strange things can happen haha😅
Have you sat the UCAT yet? Good luck with your application!
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Hey I’m also applying for both! But I don’t think my UCAT score will be high enough either, my exam is next week so nervous I’m really struggling with VR!
I did my UCAT but unfortunately I only got 2910 :frown: I'm still going to apply, but I highly doubt I'll get in with a score like that. It's disappointing as I was doing much better in my mocks, but nothing I can do to change it now!

I got 860 in AR, so I just wish I got that in all the other sections too haha.

Good luck to you both for your UCAT!
Original post by username846342
I did my UCAT but unfortunately I only got 2910 :frown: I'm still going to apply, but I highly doubt I'll get in with a score like that. It's disappointing as I was doing much better in my mocks, but nothing I can do to change it now!

Where else are you applying? I got 2950 and also did really well on AR, fairly average on the rest! Got everything crossed for all of us!
Edit: sorry just realised you said you're only applying to Newcastle, ignore me!
Original post by Claudiarose23
Hey I’m also applying for both! But I don’t think my UCAT score will be high enough either, my exam is next week so nervous I’m really struggling with VR!

Good luck with the UCAT! I didn't do great on VR but definitely found I did better on my mocks when I was reading a lot throughout the day. I wasn't reading much by the time of my test and think that showed.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TheGroke
Where else are you applying? I got 2950 and also did really well on AR, fairly average on the rest! Got everything crossed for all of us!
Edit: sorry just realised you said you're only applying to Newcastle, ignore me!

Good luck with the UCAT! I didn't do great on VR but definitely found I did better on my mocks when I was reading a lot throughout the day. I wasn't reading much by the time of my test and think that showed.

That is an amazing score I am getting no where near that at the moment so I am really stressed!
That is an amazing score I am getting no where near that at the moment so I am really stressed!

You'll be ok! My mocks didn't get anywhere close to that until a couple of days before. Practice and persistence are key!
That makes me feel slightly better thank you. Do you have any other tips?
That makes me feel slightly better thank you. Do you have any other tips?

Mostly to keep consistently practicing, give yourself a rest if you feel tired or frustrated though! When is your test?
Original post by TheGroke
Mostly to keep consistently practicing, give yourself a rest if you feel tired or frustrated though! When is your test?

Thank you ! It’s Friday the 16th.
Thank you ! It’s Friday the 16th.

Good luck! I hope prep is going well!
Original post by username846342

My brother how? I got 700 870 900 and AR ruined the streak with 620
Original post by Ethxn.cliffxrd
My brother how? I got 700 870 900 and AR ruined the streak with 620

How did you get 900! Do you have any tips ?
Original post by AppleBandit27
Sorry if im being stupid but does anybody know the UCAT cutoff for last year entry, even if it is roughly?

I believe it was 3010
Hi!

You can find the UCAT thresholds for previous years on our School of Medicine website (also attached).

Scott S
Reply 15
Do the UCAT cutoffs differ between 2:1 and 1st degrees?
2:1 3340 B1 - is it enough for an interview?
Is the Personal Statement asessed?
Original post by smm315
Do the UCAT cutoffs differ between 2:1 and 1st degrees?
2:1 3340 B1 - is it enough for an interview?
Is the Personal Statement asessed?

Hi!

All applicants applying for A101 are assessed against the same UCAT threshold.

Shortlisting for interview involves two steps. In the first step, all applicants are screened to assess whether their predicted or actual academic results meet the minimum entry requirements. For graduate applicants they must have achieved, or expect to achieve, at least a Second Class, First Division (2:1) Honours degree; OR be a practising health professional with a post-registration qualification.

If the minimum academic requirements are met, then the second step of considering the ‘current UCAT score’ of each applicant will follow.

The UCAT threshold may differ in each admissions cycle as it is dependent on the scores achieved by those applicants who apply to our Medical School in the current cycle. Therefore, information on what the new threshold will be is not available to prospective students. Invitation to interview will be based on the ranking of applicants’ UCAT scores.

Prior to and during an interview, selectors will not have access to an applicant's personal statement or reference. They will be looked at after interview but not scored.

I hope this information helps!

Hana
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi!

All applicants applying for A101 are assessed against the same UCAT threshold.

Shortlisting for interview involves two steps. In the first step, all applicants are screened to assess whether their predicted or actual academic results meet the minimum entry requirements. For graduate applicants they must have achieved, or expect to achieve, at least a Second Class, First Division (2:1) Honours degree; OR be a practising health professional with a post-registration qualification.

If the minimum academic requirements are met, then the second step of considering the ‘current UCAT score’ of each applicant will follow.

The UCAT threshold may differ in each admissions cycle as it is dependent on the scores achieved by those applicants who apply to our Medical School in the current cycle. Therefore, information on what the new threshold will be is not available to prospective students. Invitation to interview will be based on the ranking of applicants’ UCAT scores.

Prior to and during an interview, selectors will not have access to an applicant's personal statement or reference. They will be looked at after interview but not scored.

I hope this information helps!

Hana

Hey Hana,

I am a graduate applying to the A100 course. I was wondering do I have to email in and specifically mention I'm a graduate or does having my highest qualification as a degree on UCAS suffice?

Thanks!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Graduatemed2023
Hey Hana,

I am a graduate applying to the A100 course. I was wondering do I have to email in and specifically mention I'm a graduate or does having my highest qualification as a degree on UCAS suffice?

Thanks!

Hi @Graduatemed2023!

That's no problem, our Medical Admissions Team will know you are a graduate applicant when they see your degree listed in the 'education' section of your UCAS application. You won't need to email in separately to let us know. I hope this helps!

Scott D
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi @Graduatemed2023!

That's no problem, our Medical Admissions Team will know you are a graduate applicant when they see your degree listed in the 'education' section of your UCAS application. You won't need to email in separately to let us know. I hope this helps!

Scott D

Thank you Scott :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending