The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham applicants 2023

Scroll to see replies

I am a current 2nd year bsc accountancy student at Nottingham, feel free to dm me and ask about my course or even university life in general since I have spent a lot of time in different accommodations and societies.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
hello,

I would just like to ask senior students what they know about scholarships to study medicine at any point from the second year onwards? I know the university website shows scholarship opportunities for the first year but would like to know what scholarship opportunities there are for the remainder of the course.

(is there a merit based scholarship from the second year onwards?)

thanks in advance for your response
Original post by cloudsarecool
hello,

I would just like to ask senior students what they know about scholarships to study medicine at any point from the second year onwards? I know the university website shows scholarship opportunities for the first year but would like to know what scholarship opportunities there are for the remainder of the course.

(is there a merit based scholarship from the second year onwards?)

thanks in advance for your response

You would have to check directly with the faculty. The UK higher education funding system is more geared towards a centralised funding model ensuring accessibility for all. Hence scholarships aren’t a high offering for undergraduate studies.
Original post by Anonymous
if the grade requirements are AAA for example and you get A*AB, would I still be accepted???

What first comes to mind is, one, how competitive it is and, two, what the C or A* is in. When I visited their open days they mentioned, at least in the psychology department, that ucas applications aren’t too big a deal and they primarily look for grades. Whether that is the same for economics and what economics degree that is as there’s quite a few on their website it’ll depend. However I do have a question regarding predicted grades and grades you actually get on the day. Say for example you get a predicted set of grades and you know it isn’t high enough even after speaking to those who are responsible for them like your teachers, is it still worth it applying? And then what would happen if you somehow got higher than predicted and you met the requirements? Would they still let you in or would they prioritise those who had the offer originally? If anyone could let me know that would be a great help.
Original post by Ish_1239I
What first comes to mind is, one, how competitive it is and, two, what the C or A* is in. When I visited their open days they mentioned, at least in the psychology department, that ucas applications aren’t too big a deal and they primarily look for grades. Whether that is the same for economics and what economics degree that is as there’s quite a few on their website it’ll depend. However I do have a question regarding predicted grades and grades you actually get on the day. Say for example you get a predicted set of grades and you know it isn’t high enough even after speaking to those who are responsible for them like your teachers, is it still worth it applying? And then what would happen if you somehow got higher than predicted and you met the requirements? Would they still let you in or would they prioritise those who had the offer originally? If anyone could let me know that would be a great help.

To answer your question about the grade requirements, if you aren't getting the predicted grades that match what UoN say they want then it's a bit dicey applying and using up a UCAS slot that could go to another uni. Maybe if your predicted grades were one off and you had an excellent personal statement it could be worth a gamble. However if you applied with lower predicted grades and got accepted then met the requirements there would be no prioritising, you would be on the course and that is that as you have met the conditions of the offer.

As for OP's question:

This all depends on the course, but from personal experience when applying for Computer Science we were told at offer holder days that applications that had narrowly missed the grade would often be accepted, depending on how many other people had achieved the target grades.

Here's an example - UoN has a course which has, say, 350 places on it. We were told that they might actually send out something like 400, maybe even more offers for this course. Now, if every single one of those 400 make their offer, then they would all be accepted (obviously) and they'd just have to run the course with more people.

Now, if say only 300 people made the offer requirements, then to fill the remaining 50 seats they would look down the list of those who just missed out on their grades and likely accept them. However, if there were 350 people who managed to get the grades, it's unlikely they'd start pulling from people who didn't make the requirements.

Unfortunately I'm not 100% familiar with the process (as I somehow managed to get into UoN with the grades they wanted, miraculously), but TLDR it's based on how many other people make the grade requirements as well as how many places they have for that particular course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending