The Student Room Group

my gcse adventure ⭐

hi there 🌸

this is the first time making a gyg and my first time starting a discussion/thread on student room since im new here! ive seen lots of people make these and thought to myself that it may actually be motivational for me to keep on top of revision since gcses are coming up in around 4 months.

apart from that, a little bit about me!

Spoiler

academic information (gcses - current grades - predicted grades):

Spoiler

other academic info:

Spoiler

goals for this year:

Spoiler

other gygs that i follow:

Spoiler

i look forward to documenting my ups and downs along my gcse journey with you guys :h:
(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Good luck! :smile:

thank you so muchh!
Reply 3
day 1: thursday 18th jan

got back my english language mock today! i was one mark off a grade 7 💔 it doesn't sound like that good of a grade but i was actually proud of myself because i did really bad in english in my y10 end of years 😭😭
i think if i do enough revision and practice papers i may be able to scrape an 8 hopefully

(may not be posting any to-do lists to do each day since im giving myself a one-week break due to mocks. i'll probably start creating my revision timetable this weekend and start my revision on monday )
Reply 4
Original post by milktee

got back my english language mock today! i was one mark off a grade 7 💔 it doesn't sound like that good of a grade but i was actually proud of myself because i did really bad in english in my y10 end of years 😭😭
i think if i do enough revision and practice papers i may be able to scrape an 8 hopefully

(may not be posting any to-do lists to do each day since im giving myself a one-week break due to mocks. i'll probably start creating my revision timetable this weekend and start my revision on monday )

Well done on your mocks! Don't worry about the grade, as long as you are happy that is all that matters - you've still got a few months to slowly build up if you want.
Original post by milktee

Heyyy
I love your gyg so far and ofc will follow along your journey xx

Well done on your english language result - most of my teachers say that pupils get 2-3 grades higher in their gcses than mocks so theres still a while. I also struggle with language but managed to get my grade from a 6 to and 8 between EOYs in year 10 and our mocks so I would recommend just practicing loads and @Trickia really helped me and here's some of their advice in post 36 https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7398188&page=2 of my gyg

Good luck for the rest of your results xx
Reply 6
Ello😊

Wish you all the best in your journey and who doesn't love noodles lol and kny made me cry a lot😭

You will do it🎉🎉
Reply 7
Original post by study23!
Well done on your mocks! Don't worry about the grade, as long as you are happy that is all that matters - you've still got a few months to slowly build up if you want.

thank you so muchh 🤍🙏
Reply 8
Original post by agent_duck343
Heyyy
I love your gyg so far and ofc will follow along your journey xx

Well done on your english language result - most of my teachers say that pupils get 2-3 grades higher in their gcses than mocks so theres still a while. I also struggle with language but managed to get my grade from a 6 to and 8 between EOYs in year 10 and our mocks so I would recommend just practicing loads and @Trickia really helped me and here's some of their advice in post 36 https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7398188&page=2 of my gyg

Good luck for the rest of your results xx

thank youuu 🤍🤍

omg an 8 in your mocks for english language is really good well donee! thank you for the reference to @Trickia

thanks again youre so sweet 😭😭 goodluck with the rest of your mock results as welll
Reply 9
Original post by Trickia
Ello😊

Wish you all the best in your journey and who doesn't love noodles lol and kny made me cry a lot😭

You will do it🎉🎉

heyyy yes noodles is life and kny made me shed quite a lot of tears as well 😭

thank you so muchh 🤍
Original post by milktee
hi there 🌸

this is the first time making a gyg and my first time starting a discussion/thread on student room since im new here! ive seen lots of people make these and thought to myself that it may actually be motivational for me to keep on top of revision since gcses are coming up in around 4 months.

i would've created this earlier for my mocks revision but i had no idea about tsr or gyg until only a week ago 😭 i just finished my mocks this monday, so ill be sure to post how it went when i receive my grades.

Spoiler

Spoiler

other academic info:

Spoiler

i look forward to documenting my ups and downs along my gcse journey with you guys :h:

wow for one of your first posts, this is amazing @milktee! i can also tell you have a very good work ethic & academic drive - can't wait to keep updated with your journey ❤️
Reply 11
Original post by emm4nuella
wow for one of your first posts, this is amazing @milktee! i can also tell you have a very good work ethic & academic drive - can't wait to keep updated with your journey ❤️

thank you so muchh 🤍 ive enjoyed your updates on your own gyg and seem like a really productive person yourself
Reply 12
day 2: friday 19th january

still haven't got back any other mock results 💔
so far, i've managed to complete two sixth form applications, out of the four that i'm planning to apply to, so making progress on that!
this week has been so long overall, since my mocks ended on monday and everyday has just felt really draining to me, so i'm finally glad its the weekend now 🙏🙏

plan for the weekend:

need to make a revision timetable - i'm generally a person to not make revision timetables, but i think now that there's only around 3 months, i need to stay on top of my revision and organise it well

complete my geography and physics homework

try to start some of my revision if i manage to complete my timetable

feel like baking something, which i haven't done in agess

see you guys tomorrow 🤍
Original post by milktee

so far, i've managed to complete two sixth form applications, out of the four that i'm planning to apply to, so making progress on that!
this week has been so long overall, since my mocks ended on monday and everyday has just felt really draining to me, so i'm finally glad its the weekend now 🙏🙏

plan for the weekend:

need to make a revision timetable - i'm generally a person to not make revision timetables, but i think now that there's only around 3 months, i need to stay on top of my revision and organise it well

see you guys tomorrow 🤍

heyyyy @milktee if you are not the type of person to make revision timetables, maybe make a plan instead? like decide what subject you want to do each today and how long for? :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by emm4nuella
Original post by milktee

plan for the weekend:

see you guys tomorrow 🤍

heyyyy @milktee if you are not the type of person to make revision timetables, maybe make a plan instead? like decide what subject you want to do each today and how long for? :smile:

omg thank you thats what i meant!! i assumed they were called the same thing, but yeah I really do suck at sticking to timetables, so making a plan would be much more helpful for me :smile:
Reply 15
day 3: saturday 20th january

i've been out the whole day today, but i still managed to make progress on creating my revision timetable!!

i've created a timetable called a retrospective revision timetable for each of my subjects (i still have 3 more subjects to do), but it works by incorporating spaced revision with each topic and mentioning how difficult you find each topic so that you can prioritise your revision on those more. (i watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z88tsBnAsPw&t=411s for inspiration)

apart from these timetables that lists out the overall topics for each of my subjects, i have still yet to create a weekly timetable that lists out the topics that i want to revise every day after school and on the weekend, so im planning to finish everything by tomorrow!

see you guys tomorrow
Reply 16
this is an example of a retrospective revision timetable:

i would include my own timetable, but for some reason i'm not able to include a screenshot in my post, because it said it exceeds the character limit :frown:
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by milktee
hi there 🌸

i would've created this earlier for my mocks revision but i had no idea about tsr or gyg until only a week ago 😭 i just finished my mocks this monday, so ill be sure to post how it went when i receive my grades.

Spoiler

Spoiler

other academic info:

Spoiler

how r u revising dt? my nea is predicted an 8 but i got 5 in the written test :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by wellimwarda
how r u revising dt? my nea is predicted an 8 but i got 5 in the written test :frown:

congrats on your nea predicted grade!! this is normally what i do for revision:

i normally make condensed notes for each topic using the textbook given by my teacher and the powerpoints that we get in our theory lessons

i also make flashcards on each topic since there are a lot of key facts and definitions to learn

as well as this, i make a keyword glossary at the back of my notebook for each topic, since dt exams are filled with define questions

i also tend to blurt sometimes, either on a piece of paper or to my friend, which helps as active recall to help me remember stuff better

im actually a person who has never once done a practice paper for dt, but i do know that i need to start doing those 🙏 since practice papers are a big help to understanding how questions are phrased in exams

hope this helps

these are the textbooks that i got from school btw, they're really helpful!!
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by milktee
this is an example of a retrospective revision timetable:

i would include my own timetable, but for some reason i'm not able to include a screenshot in my post, because it said it exceeds the character limit :frown:

oooooo im definitely trying that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending