The Student Room Group

Official: University of Newcastle A100 2023 Entry Applicant and Offer Holders thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi, would my ucat be enough for the partners cut-off this year, assuming the cut-off goes down due to pre-covid times e.g 2020/2021 entry? Thanks :smile:

My stats are:
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Maths - 8
English literature - 8
Geography - 8
German - 7
Religious studies - 7
English language - 6
Health & social care (BTEC) - Distinction*

UCAT = 2630 B3
VR = 610
DM = 670
QR = 670
AR = 680

Predicted A-Levels:
Biology = A
Chemistry = A
Psychology = A*

Work experience:
- 1 week placement at King's College Hospital
- 1 week placement at Epsom Hospital
- 1 week GP placement
- Volunteering at local hospital for a couple of weeks
- Volunteering at Barnado's (charity shop) for 6 months

I also meet certain contextual criteria's:
In receipt of UCAT Bursary
1st in family to go into higher education
State school
Universal credit
Original post by docxo
Hi, would my ucat be enough for the partners cut-off this year, assuming the cut-off goes down due to pre-covid times e.g 2020/2021 entry? Thanks :smile:

My stats are:
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Maths - 8
English literature - 8
Geography - 8
German - 7
Religious studies - 7
English language - 6
Health & social care (BTEC) - Distinction*

UCAT = 2630 B3
VR = 610
DM = 670
QR = 670
AR = 680

Predicted A-Levels:
Biology = A
Chemistry = A
Psychology = A*

Work experience:
- 1 week placement at King's College Hospital
- 1 week placement at Epsom Hospital
- 1 week GP placement
- Volunteering at local hospital for a couple of weeks
- Volunteering at Barnado's (charity shop) for 6 months

I also meet certain contextual criteria's:
In receipt of UCAT Bursary
1st in family to go into higher education
State school
Universal credit

Partners last year was 2720. Its likely not to drop significantly
Reply 22
Original post by Hazard0202
Partners last year was 2720. Its likely not to drop significantly

Would it be likely to drop back to pre-covid times e.g 2020, 2021 cut-offs, as due to the influx of applicants last year due to covid, uni's had to increase their requirements one way or another and newcastle decided to increase their cut-off's rather than their a-level requirements?
Original post by docxo
Would it be likely to drop back to pre-covid times e.g 2020, 2021 cut-offs, as due to the influx of applicants last year due to covid, uni's had to increase their requirements one way or another and newcastle decided to increase their cut-off's rather than their a-level requirements?

There are only around 500 fewer people projected to sit UCAT this year than last year
Original post by docxo

most people agree the cutoffs will be likely similar to last year, but not pre-covid levels
Hi, would my UCAT and application stats in general be enough to apply for Newcastle this year? I achieved 2820 Band 1, 3 A's at A-Level, 9888888776 at GCSEs
Original post by zsharief210
Hi, would my UCAT and application stats in general be enough to apply for Newcastle this year? I achieved 2820 Band 1, 3 A's at A-Level, 9888888776 at GCSEs

Last year cut off was 2800. Depends on if you think cutoff could increase to more than 2820
Last year cut off was 2800. Depends on if you think cutoff could increase to more than 2820

I also got confused with this figure but an FOI released on whatdotheyknow has the same document as linked to their website quoting 2850 as the cutoff.

FOI request stating 2800:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/881001/response/2090291/attach/3/UCAT%20thresholds%202018%2022.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

FOI request stating 2850:
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/mediav8/medical-education/files/admissions-documents/ucat-thresholds-18-22.pdf
Original post by _ryan_27
I also got confused with this figure but an FOI released on whatdotheyknow has the same document as linked to their website quoting 2850 as the cutoff.

FOI request stating 2800:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/881001/response/2090291/attach/3/UCAT%20thresholds%202018%2022.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

FOI request stating 2850:
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/mediav8/medical-education/files/admissions-documents/ucat-thresholds-18-22.pdf

Yes, they did this a few years ago, as well.
During the original application and interview cycle, the cut off was 2850.
After the UCAS deadline, they invited a very few more people to interview, with lower UCAT scores. In the process, many people with scores between the original 2850 and the final 2800 had accepted offers elsewhere, so had those invites been made in the initial cycle, the cut off would no way have been 2800, and possibly no less than 2840.
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, they did this a few years ago, as well.
During the original application and interview cycle, the cut off was 2850.
After the UCAS deadline, they invited a very few more people to interview, with lower UCAT scores. In the process, many people with scores between the original 2850 and the final 2800 had accepted offers elsewhere, so had those invites been made in the initial cycle, the cut off would no way have been 2800, and possibly no less than 2840.

Right. Would you say the cutoff will lie around 2850 again this year?
I picked this up from their website which said 2800.
I picked this up from their website which said 2800.

Yes, but see my post above
Do Newcastle use SJT in anyway ? Thks
Original post by HopefulHarry
Do Newcastle use SJT in anyway ? Thks

They exclude a B4, other than that, no
Thks. Anything they look for in particular at interview / on PS ?
Thks. Anything they look for in particular at interview / on PS ?

PS is only reviewed for red flags before offers are sent, and they give information about interview on their website, I think
Thanks. Do you know if their interview to offer ratio is good ?
Thanks. Do you know if their interview to offer ratio is good ?

You can find all this info either from their website or on google
Original post by CatInTheCorner
You can find all this info either from their website or on google

Thanks , Will have another look
Hi
I noticed on the partners FAQs that they may not reduce the cut off for partners students. How likely would this be to happen?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending