The Student Room Group

Official: University of Newcastle A100 2023 Entry Applicant and Offer Holders thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medintl
hello the ucat cutoffs have been published for 2023-entry. the ucat threshold for international students has drastically reduced to 2600. im just wondering if this is a mistake at all. if not, what could be the reason for such a sharp drop

Where have you seen this published?
Reply 882
Original post by Rivkygoldkin
Where have you seen this published?

It's on the Newcastle University Undergrad Medicine website. I am not sure if i can paste the link here. The UCAT cut-off was 2820 for UK students and 2600 for international students.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by medintl
It's on the Newcastle University Undergrad Medicine website. I am not sure if i can paste the link here. The UCAT cut-off was 2820 for UK students and 2600 for international students.

Thank you I just found it. I guess the lowest numbers seen on TSR would not represent the whole applicant ucat range and this is possible to be true. I sat my UCAT and have 2810 and am now thinking that there may be some hope.
We can give them a call and ask if this is accurate
Reply 885
Original post by Rivkygoldkin
We can give them a call and ask if this is accurate

yes, this would be ideal. the UCAT cutoff has dropped by 270 points which is quite odd.
Reply 886
Does newcastle do reading week for medicine?
Reply 887
Original post by jbx123

From the timetable I saw on the MLE, there was only the end of term holidays. Every week up until Christmas etc. was jam packed.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by jbx123

Original post by Zhanae
From the timetable I saw on the MLE, there was only the end of term holidays. Every week up until Christmas etc. was jam packed.

Yup we didn't have a reading week last year, although the week where all other courses had reading week was a noticeably lighter schedule than the others - I think I was only in three days rather than five and one of them was a hospital visit rather than campus-based teaching.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 889
Hi, just wanted to confirm you get given your DBS application meeting time during the induction week? As in, I don't have to ask anyone for a slot right now but they'll automatically give me a date and time to come with my ID?

Because while reading their emails I see if I miss that then my entire application is cancelled! So I'm last minute panicking a bit. All I've done so far is told the DBS website what documents I'll bring, same for you lot right?
Original post by Rip pele
Hi, just wanted to confirm you get given your DBS application meeting time during the induction week? As in, I don't have to ask anyone for a slot right now but they'll automatically give me a date and time to come with my ID?

Because while reading their emails I see if I miss that then my entire application is cancelled! So I'm last minute panicking a bit. All I've done so far is told the DBS website what documents I'll bring, same for you lot right?

You'll automatically get an email with details of your DBS slot. I've checked my emails and I got it on Fri 16th Sep last year.
EDIT: oh and my slot was on 22nd so that should hopefully give you an idea of the timescales!
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Rip pele

Hi @Rip pele

Our Medical Admissions Team have advised that you will be allocated a session during your induction week, and you do not need to ask for one. As long as you have followed all of the instructions in the welcome pack, there is nothing else you need to do regarding arranging your DBS meeting.

Hope this helps :smile:

Elliott
Reply 892
Hey, do we think it would be worth me applying to Newcastle through PARTNERS with a UCAT of 2720 B1? Last years cutoff was 2700 and the year before 2710- so unsure atm.
Original post by rh1209
Hey, do we think it would be worth me applying to Newcastle through PARTNERS with a UCAT of 2720 B1? Last years cutoff was 2700 and the year before 2710- so unsure atm.

Hi @rh1209,

The UCAT threshold may differ in each year as it is dependent on the scores achieved by those applicants who have applied in the current application cycle. The UCAT threshold may be lower for PARTNERS Programme applicants, however, for ‘standard’ and PARTNERS applicants, we are unable to disclose the UCAT threshold for the current admissions cycle. Details of the UCAT threshold for previous years are available. Further information can be found in the MB BS Admissions Policy 2024.

I hope this information helps.

Hana :smile:
Original post by Zhanae
That's so good to hear! Mine is next Tuesday and trying to revise as much as possible so this made me less nervous. Good luck to you and everyone else with upcoming interviews:smile:

Do you still remember your interview qs by any chance?
Reply 895
Original post by ncsokjkjdcjk
Do you still remember your interview qs by any chance?

Possibly, but they are not allowed to discuss them :smile:
Original post by GANFYD

Possibly, but they are not allowed to discuss them :smile:

Oh i see, sorry i hadn’t known, thank you!
hey just wondered if anyone has any recommendations or knows what the best accommodation is, or where would be suitable for a medical student? Thanks!
Reply 898
Original post by nettieglandfield
hey just wondered if anyone has any recommendations or knows what the best accommodation is, or where would be suitable for a medical student? Thanks!

Hi! I’m a first year, and Park View is the closest to the medical school. Marris House is right beside it so it’s also very close. It depends what your priorities with accommodation are, as Park View is a bit more expensive but the facilities and its interior is very nice overall + good location. Many of my friends didn’t get park view despite having it ranked first though.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by nettieglandfield

hey, i think you might’ve put this on the wrong year (this thread is 2023 entry!). however, im in portland green which is about a 25 min walk from the med school but in a really nice location near ouseburn and not too much of a walk into town. i applied for park view but didnt get it but in hindsight im glad im in portland - its cheaper (thought think its going up this year), the walk has prepared me for the walk ill have to do next year and its a nice way to start the day with some fresh air! defo have a look at the uni website for the locations/prices and places around it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending