The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Official LSE Undergraduate Applicants thread 2023

Welcome to the applicant discussion thread, for anyone applying for an undergraduate course for 2023 entry. Chat with other applicants, find out who's getting offers, get to know people who might be on your course.

Here's a template to get things going:
1 - What course are you applying for?
2 - What A-levels (or equivalent) are you taking?
3 - Why LSE?
4 - What other unis are you applying for?

Hub for all uni applicants' threads: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253776

Survey of applicants: https://bit.ly/3Fu3w12
Spreadsheet of results: https://bit.ly/3DXovZ7

Note: The forms and documents in this thread are not managed or operated by The Student Room, and are set up by members of the community. Please do take this into account when entering your details into this form. All data you share is at your own risk. If you have any questions, please come and talk to us in Ask The Community Staff.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/staying-safe-on-the-student-room
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sinnoh
Welcome to the applicant discussion thread, for anyone applying for an undergraduate course for 2023 entry. Chat with other applicants, find out who's getting offers, get to know people who might be on your course.

3 - Why LSE?

Hub for all uni applicants' threads: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253776

Hi,

I'm applying to either management or economics. I'm doing maths, physics, business and ICT(my school didn't offer FM) so I'm not sure about my chances for economics. I got straight As as my AS grades (we took the exams) and am predicted A*A*A*A*. I'm also applying to Cambridge, Warwick, York and Edinburgh maybe.

What about u?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I'm applying to either management or economics. I'm doing maths, physics, business and ICT(my school didn't offer FM) so I'm not sure about my chances for economics. I got straight As as my AS grades (we took the exams) and am predicted A*A*A*A*. I'm also applying to Cambridge, Warwick, York and Edinburgh maybe.

What about u?

Well done on your AS and good luck! I'm not an applicant, I'm at a different uni - nobody else had set up a thread so I went for it.
1 - What course are you applying for? economics
2 - What A-levels (or equivalent) are you taking? maths, fm, physics, economics
3 - Why LSE? I like the environment there and it's one of the best unis for econ
4 - What other unis are you applying for? UCL, Warwick, Birmingham, Cambridge
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
1 - What course are you applying for? Law LLB

2 - What A-levels (or equivalent) are you taking? English Literature, Law, Sociology

3 - Why LSE? It's a great university for Law, International community, Want to be surrounded by extremely driven individuals

4 - What other unis are you applying for? Cambridge, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham
Hi,

What about u?

Hi, I had a quick question. How are you deciding between applying management or economics at each university? I was wondering as I'm currently stuck about which degree to apply for at the LSE.
Hi, I had a quick question. How are you deciding between applying management or economics at each university? I was wondering as I'm currently stuck about which degree to apply for at the LSE.

Hello, I’m not the person that typed that message but I have some advice. You can only submit one personal statement to UCAS and this would be used for assessment for every university you apply to. You need to make up your mind for which degree you want to study, you won’t stand a chance at getting a offer at LSE for pure economics or pure management with a mixed personal statement unless the course contains both economics and management (I don’t think LSE has that joint course?)
Can someone make a spreadsheet for offers and rejections? Thanks
Is it true that LSE is made up of 50% post-graduates from China and 30% undergrads from China? If true, wouldn't this university have something to answer for when it comes to diversity and fairness of application processing? I ask because my classmate applied last year and had a phenomenal application with quite a few activities showing interest in his field over multiple years, full A*'s and glowing references and achievements, but he didn't get an offer at LSE or UCL. LSE's reason for rejection was a generic response of sort, about high level of applicants (duh!). I know a lot of things are considered when selecting candidates, but really? I am thinking of applying this year but am dissuaded from his experience and the fact that I'm not from a target country.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by denzel200
Is it true that LSE is made up of 50% post-graduates from China and 30% undergrads from China? If true, wouldn't this university have something to answer for when it comes to diversity and fairness of application processing? I ask because my classmate applied last year and had a phenomenal application with quite a few activities showing interest in his field over multiple years, full A*'s and glowing references and achievements, but he didn't get an offer at LSE or UCL. LSE's reason for rejection was a generic response of sort, about high level of applicants (duh!). I know a lot of things are considered when selecting candidates, but really? I am thinking of applying this year but am dissuaded from his experience and the fact that I'm not from a target country.

I think it’s like 50:50 international:home? If you have a good application, then you should have a good shot at getting in. I know lots of people with Oxbridge offers for econ that got rejected from lse, you just need a lot of luck
Original post by Sinnoh

3 - Why LSE?

Hello, I decided to apply for bsc in accounting and finance. For my A levels I took maths, accounting and business, I chose my subjects in haste and was too far in to add another subject unfortunately. I scored A on all my subs for AS and hopefully I'll be done with my A2 by Jan 23. I chose LSE because I like challenging myself and their course looked pretty challenging for me, apart from that I liked their location as a poc and on top of that LSE checked all my criteria. I am also applying to Birmingham, Warwick, Durham and Kings.

I do think there is a certain level of discrimination but not in the sense that your selected based on the fact that your're a target country. For example someone with 4A* predicted at alevel and all 9s in GCSE got rejected from LSE even though they were told that there was nothing wrong with their application but there was a high level of other applicants however this guy went to a private school. So I think as LSE already give a lot of offers to international students that aren't under-privelleged they try to make up for it by completeting most of their diversity quota whithin the UK applicants. However this is my own thinking so I may be wrong and this should not dissuade you from applying as LSE is an amazing place to study so give it a shot.
Original post by Tanman12
1 - What course are you applying for? Mathematics and Economics
2 - What A-levels (or equivalent) are you taking? IB: HL Maths AA, Physics, Econ SL English German Politics
3 - Why LSE? Really strong uni and I liked the feel of the uni when visiting
4 - What other unis are you applying for? UCL, Warwick, Bath, Cambridge

Are you doing the TMUA, if so how are you finding it?
Original post by dgupt
Are you doing the TMUA, if so how are you finding it?

Yes I am, I am quite confident for it. In the past papers I have done, I have been averaging around a 7. Are you also applying for maths & econ?
Reply 14

No, and there's no such thing as a 'target country'. Of the undergraduate students doing their first degree at LSE, there are 2600 from the UK and 3040 not from the UK. Of those 3040 not from the UK, 765 are from the EU and 2275 aren't. This is the data from HESA for the academic year 2020-21.
There are slightly more postgrads in total than undergrads.

LSE has its own stats on students (here), and in total there are 2000 students from China - that's UG and PG total. So UK students easily outnumber Chinese students.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Tanman12
Yes I am, I am quite confident for it. In the past papers I have done, I have been averaging around a 7. Are you also applying for maths & econ?

7 is a great score to be able to average. No I'm applying for pure econ but I have to do the tmua for Cambridge.
7 is a great score to be able to average. No I'm applying for pure econ but I have to do the tmua for Cambridge.

I'm not sure why it posted it anonymously but I replied to it.
Hi all,

I’m applying for Politics and International Relations and I do Politics, Geography and English Lit (plus EPQ). LSE is my goal uni because I like how career focussed people are there and I really liked what I saw from the uni on the open day. I’m also applying to UCL, Uni of Manchester, Queen Mary of London and UEA, however if I don’t get offers from LSE or UCL it’s likely I will re-apply for different unis next year (I’m aware LSE doesn’t accept re-applying students after they’ve already been rejected).

Any other Politics/IR applicants on here? There’s a lot of economics applicants (and the like) from what I can see as expected lol.
1 - What course are you applying for? BSc Politics and economics
2 - What A-levels (or equivalent) are you taking? Maths, History, Econ A*,A,A
3 - Why LSE? Perfect location (living at home), Obviously the best choice for my degree,
4 - What other unis are you applying for? Oxford, UCL, Kings, Warwick
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 19
BSc Mathematics with Data Science

Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths

3 - Why LSE?
Great career prospects and I like the idea of living in London

Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Warwick (BSc Mathematics for all 4)
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending