The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Official LSE Undergraduate Applicants thread 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sofiavlaw
Do you know why this is?

Because they will be keen to read the Oxbridge Personal Statements and reject those who are not serious about LSE.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
As in eliminate the serious Oxbridge applicants?

Original post by thegeek888
Because they will be keen to read the Oxbridge Personal Statements and reject those who are not serious about LSE.

Do they actually do this? How do they know you're an oxbridge applicant and not just someone who handed in their application in early?
Original post by Anonymous
As in eliminate the serious Oxbridge applicants?

Sometimes, they just know you're an Oxbridge applicant by the early application.
Do they actually do this? How do they know you're an oxbridge applicant and not just someone who handed in their application in early?

LSE look for a 'stellar' UCAS Personal Statement, and the admissions tutors at LSE 'scrutinise' the Personal Statement extremely well, line by line and take notes. So they will spot a pattern of Oxbridge applicants as they will have submitted their UCAS application on 15th October or before the deadline. But they also ask some candidates later in the academic year to declare if they have applied to Oxford or Cambridge too.
LSE look for a 'stellar' UCAS Personal Statement, and the admissions tutors at LSE 'scrutinise' the Personal Statement extremely well, line by line and take notes. So they will spot a pattern of Oxbridge applicants as they will have submitted their UCAS application on 15th October or before the deadline. But they also ask some candidates later in the academic year to declare if they have applied to Oxford or Cambridge too.

I doubt that they do this -- this isn't allowed by UCAS. Unis aren't meant to meddle in your other choices. I don't doubt they scrutinize your PS against the course content for the LSE degree though.
Now I'm nervous because mine went in super early but I didn't even apply for Oxbridge
Hi everyone, I am currently studying IB diploma and I would like to apply for the Economics or PPE course

My subjects are
HL spanish A English B Math analysis and approaches
SL History BM chemistry

I am interested in LSE, Warwick, KCL
econ or ppe

I am worrying whether i am having less chances of getting into those universities because of my subject combination(My school doesnt offer neither Economics, polítics and philosophy) :frown:
Sometimes, they just know you're an Oxbridge applicant by the early application.

But most people applying to Oxbridge don't get in (statistically) but they are highly qualified so it doesn't make sense for them to reject these students
But most people applying to Oxbridge don't get in (statistically) but they are highly qualified so it doesn't make sense for them to reject these students

It is only rejection for those whose UCAS Personal Statement clearly has a 'feel' and 'tone' for Oxbridge but also remember they will contact applicants to ask about your choices for UCAS if they want to consider making an offer, as it happens every year to great candidates.
It is only rejection for those whose UCAS Personal Statement clearly has a 'feel' and 'tone' for Oxbridge but also remember they will contact applicants to ask about your choices for UCAS if they want to consider making an offer, as it happens every year to great candidates.

Ohh ok thanks for clarifying

They're allowed to ask about you're other ucas choices? I thought that was supposed to be private, is it possible for you to just not tell them? Also wouldn't an oxbridge and LSE PS have a similar feel as they're both looking for the same thing pretty much (at least I thought the cambridge and LSE course seemed slightly similar).
(edited 1 year ago)

Any evidence of this? I've never seen this happen. Doesn't make sense and violates rules set out by UCAS. Many oxbridge applicants get in every year & PS requirements can be very similar across courses.
Original post by dgupt
They're allowed to ask about you're other ucas choices? I thought that was supposed to be private, is it possible for you to just not tell them? Also wouldn't an oxbridge and LSE PS have a similar feel as they're both looking for the same thing pretty much (at least I thought the cambridge and LSE course seemed slightly similar).

If you search and read through previous applicants threads on TSR there were quite a few people asked about Oxbridge choices.
Any evidence of this? I've never seen this happen. Doesn't make sense and violates rules set out by UCAS. Many oxbridge applicants get in every year & PS requirements can be very similar across courses.

If you look through previous applicant admissions cycles, then you'll find some applicants for very popular courses at LSE were asked if they applied to Oxbridge.
If you look through previous applicant admissions cycles, then you'll find some applicants for very popular courses at LSE were asked if they applied to Oxbridge.

Were they rejected as a result?
Were they rejected as a result?

No, they were strong applicants with all A*'s at GCSE and A-Level for BSc Economics and LSE demanded to know if they had applied to Oxbridge?! :wink:
Original post by Sinnoh
Welcome to the applicant discussion thread, for anyone applying for an undergraduate course for 2023 entry. Chat with other applicants, find out who's getting offers, get to know people who might be on your course.

Here's a template to get things going:
1 - What course are you applying for?
2 - What A-levels (or equivalent) are you taking?
3 - Why LSE?
4 - What other unis are you applying for?

Hub for all uni applicants' threads: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253776

Hi! I'm applying for Law. I do IB but my higher levels are English Lit, History, and Biology (predicted 777 which is like A*s). I chose LSE because it's a humanities uni, it's super international and since I go to an international school that's what I'm used to, and I really like London. I'm also applying to Oxford, KCL, Exeter, and QMUL. Good luck everyone!
Hello! Best of luck to all of you applying :h: Here’s an insight of my journey towards university.

1. I’m applying to LLB Law
2. Currently taking 3 A-Levels: Philosophy, History and English Literature - predicted A*A*A*
3. I chose LSE for many reasons. Its in London, which is close to home! LSE offers great employment opportunities and is highly regarded by Magic Circle Law firms. They look at the LNAT score more than the essay which might be a bonus. I also loved the campus when I visited in April!
4. Besides LSE, I also applied to Cambridge (Gonville and Caius College), UCL, Bristol, and Warwick.

Currently preparing for my LNAT which I am due to sit soon. How are the future law students feeling about the LNAT? :smile:

Interesting! While in some LSE courses required TMUA results, if I provide TMUA results, would LSE expects I have applied Cambridge and reject my application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending