The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Official University of the Arts London 2023 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Cool! Yeah I decided to submit mine early cause it gets really busy this time of year with all the school work and mocks. Its been around 2 weeks and they still haven't requested for my portfolio, but its fine. Good luck on your portfolio!
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
How is your portfolio coming along? I am so confused on the things they want to see vs things they will like yk. I've heard especially UAL want to see more creative range of projects, rather than the standard product design projects yk
My portfolio is almost halfway done, I'm going to show off my best pieces for each skill such as 3D modelling, problem solving, ability to work with different themes/materials, etc. As well as process and annotation slides. I don't think there's an objective preference on projects they want to see other than the skills surrounding the subject because as you said they want to see a range of projects. So I think you should just show off what you've done / will be making which makes you a strong candidate for their course. There are also lots of sources and help you could find on youtube and the UAL website if you need further guidance.
hi guys, I posted on here earlier about when I was gonna get the CSM portfolio request since it had been over a month

today they finally sent me my portfolio request :smile: just thought I'd let u guys know since someone asked me to update... they give u 10 days to submit on pebblepad btw so I'd recommend you are finished or near to finished with ur portfolio before u apply !
Good Luck!!
Hello!

These are some interesting choices! I myself, study BA Architecture at Central Saint Martins. I think it depends on the course and the amount of applications. I would not worry about the timing, but rather use this time to refine your portfolio, as you say you are still finishing it. You will surely hear back from the university. I applied for a few different courses as well, and I heard back from them within different timeframes.

When it comes to the interview, I would suggest thinking about a story that your portfolio tells about you as a practitioner and about reasons why you decided to apply for the particular courses. Maybe considering what motivates you to become a designer? Who inspires you? What are your strengths and weaknesses? Also, the interview will be a chance for you to find out about the course itself and whether this is the right fit for you. I would treat it as an opportunity to ask questions and show your interest.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions. Fingers crossed!

Best wishes,
Weronika
Original post by MoonPenguin
Hello!
I'm applying for BA Product and Industrial Design at CSM and BA Product and Furniture Design at Chelsea College of Art & Design. I sent my UCAS applications 2 weeks ago and I am waiting for a reply asking for my portfolio which I am still making. My friend applied for BA Graphic Design in CSM and LCC and has gotten a reply asking for his portfolio in a week's time despite applying at the same day. Is Product Design busier than Graphic Design in terms of applications or was my friend just really lucky? (In order, I am predicted AAB in Biology, Eng Lit, and Prod Des)

I am currently studying Product Design, English Literature, and Biology for my A levels. I chose CSM and Chelsea because I am currently living in London and don't want to live too far from home, but I also want to live alone for Uni.
My five choices are: CSM, Chelsea, Coventry, Nottingham Trent, and University of East London.

Does anyone know the acceptance rate for BA Product and Industrial design and BA Product and Furniture design?
Also, how difficult are interviews for UAL Universities? Are there things I could do to prepare myself in advance?
(edited 1 year ago)
Yes, this has been very helpful. Thank you so much!
Hi! I'm currently taking a gap year and hoping to go to central st martins next year for architecture too! I have the required grades and am currently preparing my personal statement and portfolio- is there any advice you can give for specially a architecture portfolio for CSM- and is it as competitive as other courses to get into?
Hi!

That is great!

I would suggest reading the course's description and maybe looking at some Instagram pages with students work to get an idea about what is this course about. I am not saying to change your work based on that, but rather think about how can you use your current skillset and the work you have to best show your fit for the course. What qualities can you bring?
Also, I think it is valuable to show space in your work. It does not have to be a refined architectural drawing or a perfect model, as that you will learn on the course, but rather your interest in thinking spatially. It could be models, sculptures, paintings showing space, installation art or whatever other mediums you explore.
It might be worth to think about curating your portfolio: what story are you trying to say? why are you showing particular images? annotate the slides and photos. how are you explaining your creative thinking and idea development? is your work backed by a research?
Finally, show your process, not only the finished pieces. They are really interested in understanding how did you get to the final outcome, did you experiment, why did you make certain design decisions?

I think architecture is competitive across other UAL and CSM courses. But it is not a reason to be discouraged! It is an exciting place to be. Good luck with your application!

Best wishes,
Weronika
Original post by fearnie333
Hi! I'm currently taking a gap year and hoping to go to central st martins next year for architecture too! I have the required grades and am currently preparing my personal statement and portfolio- is there any advice you can give for specially a architecture portfolio for CSM- and is it as competitive as other courses to get into?
(edited 1 year ago)
hii i'm applying for the diagnostic foundation diploma in art and design at CSM hopefully in early-mid feb. im currently studying fine art, english lit and chemistry. i'm also going to apply to both Kingston's and ravensbourne's foundation programmes as well as a couple colleges. UAL is currently my first choice due to its world-renowned status, artistic community and the work produced is what i'm interested in creating over the next few years.

if anyone else has applied to/is planning on applying to any foundation courses i'd love to talk more about how you're finding the process !!
Hi!

Good luck with your application.

I am a current undergrad student at Central Saint Martins, but did my Foundation Diploma at UAL as well. Diagnostic is a good way to go, if you are not yet sure what you'd like to study, but there is also Fine Art pathway you can apply for. I myself, started Foundation Diploma on Graphic Design, which I then changed to Spatial Design and Architecture. If you have any questions I am happy to help.

Best,
Weronika
Original post by 777luvrgirl
hii i'm applying for the diagnostic foundation diploma in art and design at CSM hopefully in early-mid feb. im currently studying fine art, english lit and chemistry. i'm also going to apply to both Kingston's and ravensbourne's foundation programmes as well as a couple colleges. UAL is currently my first choice due to its world-renowned status, artistic community and the work produced is what i'm interested in creating over the next few years.

if anyone else has applied to/is planning on applying to any foundation courses i'd love to talk more about how you're finding the process !!
Reply 31

Hey :smile: I’m applying for the foundation at ual as well. Currently in the processes of finishing my portfolio and hopefully I can apply in December. I’m also gonna try my luck with the undergrad programmes at ual through UCAS cause I’m really fixated on this uni.
Are you an international student? What kind of art are you interested in?
Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hi!

Good luck with your application.

I am a current undergrad student at Central Saint Martins, but did my Foundation Diploma at UAL as well. Diagnostic is a good way to go, if you are not yet sure what you'd like to study, but there is also Fine Art pathway you can apply for. I myself, started Foundation Diploma on Graphic Design, which I then changed to Spatial Design and Architecture. If you have any questions I am happy to help.

Best,
Weronika

hi weronika !
i actually was originally thinking of applying for the fashion pathway but the ba fine art course really intruiges and obviously there's so many other pathways i've never experienced before.
i do have some questions about how your classes were set up e.g. number of people, how long they were/how many days, did you have lectures? or was it mostly workshops. i also wonder how the process was from foundation to undergrad.

thank you so much in advance!
Original post by xzeeee
Hey :smile: I’m applying for the foundation at ual as well. Currently in the processes of finishing my portfolio and hopefully I can apply in December. I’m also gonna try my luck with the undergrad programmes at ual through UCAS cause I’m really fixated on this uni.
Are you an international student? What kind of art are you interested in?

heyy! what undergrad courses are you applying to? i'm a home student actually. I'm drawn to a lot of post-modern and conceptual art and rn I'm loving tracey emin and gillian wearing. what about yourself?
Reply 34
heyy! what undergrad courses are you applying to? i'm a home student actually. I'm drawn to a lot of post-modern and conceptual art and rn I'm loving tracey emin and gillian wearing. what about yourself?

Tha pretty interesting. I’m a big fan of conceptual art too. I’m applying to graphic and media design at LCC and CSM. The course seems like a pretty good fit for me. And I’m an international student (based in India). Are you doing the IB btw?
Original post by xzeeee
Tha pretty interesting. I’m a big fan of conceptual art too. I’m applying to graphic and media design at LCC and CSM. The course seems like a pretty good fit for me. And I’m an international student (based in India). Are you doing the IB btw?

those sound like great courses. how's your portfolio coming along? and no i do alevels
Reply 36
those sound like great courses. how's your portfolio coming along? and no i do alevels

I’m actually applying to NAFA (a uni in Singapore that has ual credited degree courses) today so I’ve finished a decent part of my portfolio. I need to include a larger variety of media handling though so I’ll focusing on that for the next month. What about you?
hi weronika !
i actually was originally thinking of applying for the fashion pathway but the ba fine art course really intruiges and obviously there's so many other pathways i've never experienced before.
i do have some questions about how your classes were set up e.g. number of people, how long they were/how many days, did you have lectures? or was it mostly workshops. i also wonder how the process was from foundation to undergrad.

thank you so much in advance!

Hi!

Of course. It is an interesting experience to explore different mediums.

I did Foundation Diploma few years ago and half of the year was online, because of the pandemic. I hope I can recall the details correctly. There is an open studio space, which is quite large. I would say there were few dozens of people, but I can't remember exactly. There were lectures, once or twice a week. We worked from studio everyday though. The course was I believe full working week 4-5 days. The main focus was definitely the design studio, but there were subjects such as contextual studies, which provided a theory behind creative work.

Application process started like for everyone else with UCAS application- personal statement and recommendation letters. As for the Foundation Diploma students, I think there is an interview guarantee, so you would get an invitation. I know there is a guarantee for a place on UAL course, but not necessary the one of your preference or on the campus you applied for, depends on how you do in your application. The interview was in-person, where I showed printed version of my portfolio and sketchbooks.

I hope it helps!

Best,
Weronika
(edited 1 year ago)
hey does anyone wanna do portfolio reviews? Just to get feedback from peers
Hi! I was wondering, after applying to UCAS to UAL, does everyone get details for portfolio submission or is it only for selected people?
Does being asked to submit a portfolio mean that you are offered a place?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending