The Student Room Group

Too late to decide to do dentistry?

So I just finished year 13 and I got my a level results in August, I got an A for geography, C for biology and D for chemistry. I wasn't happy with my bio and chem results so I have decided to take a gap year to retake. I would also like to mention that my C and D grades were a result of extenuating circumstances in my personal life, so I know that I am capable of doing a lot better.
I have always had an interest in dentistry but I never had the confidence to pursue it. Now something has clicked inside of me and I have a strong desire to pursue it.
It's September now and I'd have to apply by the 15th of October. I have already booked my ucat exam (and started prep) and I have a family member who works in the dentistry field so I know I could get some work experience done asap, plus I already have a few other things to put on my personal statement.
I'd love to hear any advice if this is a feasible plan, or whether I'd be better off doing graduate entry as I don't want to do another gap year after this one. Thank you for reading!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by bella7324
So I just finished year 13 and I got my a level results in August, I got an A for geography, C for biology and D for chemistry. I wasn't happy with my bio and chem results so I have decided to take a gap year to retake. I would also like to mention that my C and D grades were a result of extenuating circumstances in my personal life, so I know that I am capable of doing a lot better.
I have always had an interest in dentistry but I never had the confidence to pursue it. Now something has clicked inside of me and I have a strong desire to pursue it.
It's September now and I'd have to apply by the 15th of October. I have already booked my ucat exam (and started prep) and I have a family member who works in the dentistry field so I know I could get some work experience done asap, plus I already have a few other things to put on my personal statement.
I'd love to hear any advice if this is a feasible plan, or whether I'd be better off doing graduate entry as I don't want to do another gap year after this one. Thank you for reading!

H there
I suggest you attend the UCAT after preparing very well for it and aim for high score like in the 3000. Then redo your Biology and chemistry and apply next year with hopefully much better A levels and of course you will need to do UCAT again by then you have been through the motion again and know what is needed to get high score. I think there are some medical schools which accepts student from re-taken subject. Also in the coming 12 months you will have a pile of work expereince and you will one year older and maturer and can smash your interview .
Reply 2
<ignore>
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Thank you, however I was hoping to apply this year for 2023 start in September. Do you think that this is feasible?
Original post by mass63
H there
I suggest you attend the UCAT after preparing very well for it and aim for high score like in the 3000. Then redo your Biology and chemistry and apply next year with hopefully much better A levels and of course you will need to do UCAT again by then you have been through the motion again and know what is needed to get high score. I think there are some medical schools which accepts student from re-taken subject. Also in the coming 12 months you will have a pile of work expereince and you will one year older and maturer and can smash your interview .
Reply 4
hi
dentistry is very competitive. please check with others if they will accept your A level based on personal situation.
Reply 5
no they won't!
Reply 6
Original post by bella7324
It's September now and I'd have to apply by the 15th of October. I havHie already booked my ucat exam (and started prep) and I have a family member who works in the dentistry field so I know I could get some work experience done asap, plus I already have a few other things to put on my personal statement.

Hi, i was wondering if this is even possible to retake your alevels and apply for dentistry please could you let me know if it worked thank you
Original post by emilia 1234
Hi, i was wondering if this is even possible to retake your alevels and apply for dentistry please could you let me know if it worked thank you

with a lot of dental schools you have to take your a level exams in one sitting but do some research and see the ones that allow for resits as im not sure from the top of my head which universities allow it - i think bristol allow it but please do check on their website as im not certain

Quick Reply

Latest