The Student Room Group

Reduced student finance

My student finance has been reduced from £9k to £4k because my parent didn’t fill in my application or add any evidence. I appealed this and my account was updated as it said evidence added but the payments stays the same. I’ve contacted them but they take 5 days at a time to respond and the call line is too busy at the moment for anyone to wait. It’s making me really stressed and I don know what to do
(edited 1 year ago)
If your parents don’t provide any information about their income then you will be eligible for only the basic loan unless you meet the criteria to be classed as independent of your parents.

The criteria include:
- being married
- being over 25
- being financially independent for 3 years/36 months prior to the start of the course
- being a parent (either biological or adopted)
- being irreconcilably estranged from your parents (no contact at all and no prospect of that changing)

You will need to provide evidence that you meet one of these criteria if you don’t want your loan to be based on your parents household income
Original post by PQ
If your parents don’t provide any information about their income then you will be eligible for only the basic loan unless you meet the criteria to be classed as independent of your parents.

The criteria include:
- being married
- being over 25
- being financially independent for 3 years/36 months prior to the start of the course
- being a parent (either biological or adopted)
- being irreconcilably estranged from your parents (no contact at all and no prospect of that changing)

You will need to provide evidence that you meet one of these criteria if you don’t want your loan to be based on your parents household income

Thing is my mum was supposed to do it but she thought by doing my sisters it would automatically do mine as well. She doesn’t have an income as she doesn’t work or get any benefits anymore as all of the children are over 18. I don’t meet any of the criteria below. Except that I haven’t spoken to my mother since I came to university 2 years ago but she still tries to contact me even though I don’t want anything to do with her. But my dad is still in the picture but he doesn’t contribute financially at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending