The Student Room Group

Working Abroad and Student Loan.

Hi,

I will be entering my final Uni year in October. In the meantime, I received a full-time job offer from my company based in Germany. Currently, I work part-time.

They offer a good salary and flexibility in finishing my degree. Hard to say no, to be honest.

How would that work with my student finance and maintenance loan? I would still be living in the UK and be registered here. The contract would be only German—much higher earnings.

I do not want to accept anything without first knowing if there is a possibility that I will lose my student loan or be reduced, or if there can be some other issues due to Brexit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mario
Original post by Mario150293
Hi,

I will be entering my final Uni year in October. In the meantime, I received a full-time job offer from my company based in Germany. Currently, I work part-time.

They offer a good salary and flexibility in finishing my degree. Hard to say no, to be honest.

How would that work with my student finance and maintenance loan? I would still be living in the UK and be registered here. The contract would be only German—much higher earnings.

I do not want to accept anything without first knowing if there is a possibility that I will lose my student loan or be reduced, or if there can be some other issues due to Brexit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mario

Hi!

I think your best bet would be to get in touch with Student Finance England - they should be able to tell you for definite. I would imagine that as long as you are still attending university full time, you would be able to get your student loan.

However, it may be difficult to work and study, both full time. If you had to defer a year of your degree, you wouldn't receive student finance, and if your course allowed you to study part time, you would receive reduced student finance.

I would ultimately advise contacting SFE and perhaps your university tutors as well before you make any decisions.

Best wishes,

Maya

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending