The Student Room Group

Resitts and Dentistry

Hi so I’m currently in a gap year. I just finished year 13 and flopped my a levels. I won’t say what I got but I got below BBB. I will be reapplying in the UCAS 2023 application cycle and resitting my exams in June 2023. I have been predicted AAA for this next exam cycle. Anyways I’m still wanting to apply to dentistry, please bare in mind I am not allowed to go abroad or take a second gap year due to personal reasons. So I emailed every dental uni in the uk and unfortunately most informed me that they don’t accept A level resitts if ABB isn’t achieved in the first sitting. However some unis are willing to consider my application because I have some extenuating circumstances. Leeds emailed me saying the following:

“Yes, we accept predicted grades, evidence of all resit grades must be provided prior in your application; failure to do so may result in your application being rejected.”

Now I’m unsure what this could mean exactly. Does this mean they will accept my application in the 2023 cycle based on my predicted grades regardless of the first sitting achieved grades. Or does this mean that I have to wait, resitt my exams in june, get my new a level grades in the summer and then proceed to apply in the UCAS 2024 application cycle for them to consider my application and not reject it straight away. I hope this query made sense.

Also will my extenuating circumstances be considered?
- my grandmother passed away 2 weeks before my first exam
- family disputes between parents
Since all of this was happing at once during exam season I hadn’t thought to inform my school or exam boards and it wasn’t made clear to me that that is something I must do.
Reply 1
Original post by AllAnonymous3122
Hi so I’m currently in a gap year. I just finished year 13 and flopped my a levels. I won’t say what I got but I got below BBB. I will be reapplying in the UCAS 2023 application cycle and resitting my exams in June 2023. I have been predicted AAA for this next exam cycle. Anyways I’m still wanting to apply to dentistry, please bare in mind I am not allowed to go abroad or take a second gap year due to personal reasons. So I emailed every dental uni in the uk and unfortunately most informed me that they don’t accept A level resitts if ABB isn’t achieved in the first sitting. However some unis are willing to consider my application because I have some extenuating circumstances. Leeds emailed me saying the following:

“Yes, we accept predicted grades, evidence of all resit grades must be provided prior in your application; failure to do so may result in your application being rejected.”

Now I’m unsure what this could mean exactly. Does this mean they will accept my application in the 2023 cycle based on my predicted grades regardless of the first sitting achieved grades. Or does this mean that I have to wait, resitt my exams in june, get my new a level grades in the summer and then proceed to apply in the UCAS 2024 application cycle for them to consider my application and not reject it straight away. I hope this query made sense.

Also will my extenuating circumstances be considered?
- my grandmother passed away 2 weeks before my first exam
- family disputes between parents
Since all of this was happing at once during exam season I hadn’t thought to inform my school or exam boards and it wasn’t made clear to me that that is something I must do.

It’s been a year now how did it go?? Hope you are doing okay

Quick Reply

Latest