The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Official University of Leicester 2023 Applicant Thread

Hello!

Thanks for visiting our official University of Leicester 2023 Applicant Thread. Here, you can find other applicants who are also considering the University of Leicester some may even be considering the same course as you! You can also ask us any questions that you may have about the University of Leicester in general what it’s like to study here, student life, accommodation and the city of Leicester…!

We thought we would start the thread with some questions for you:

What course are you thinking of applying for?
How do you feel about starting university in 2023?
Do you have anything you're particularly excited or nervous about?

To find out lots more about the University of Leicester, head to Leicester: On Demand where you can hear more from academics, current students and find out more about applying to university. You can also keep up-to-date with our upcoming Open Days or find out more about our undergraduate courses!

We look forward to chatting to you all below! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey every1.
I'm applying to med 😩.
I'm really excited to go to uni next year (fingers crossed) I can't wait to leave my city. I went to Leicester's open day in September and the campus and surrounding area is SOOO nice like I was obsessed( could be my firm??)

Good luck all of us✨
(edited 1 year ago)
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Hey @MiriGyu

Best of luck!! :flower2:- I'm so glad you're excited and that you loved our campus and city when you visited (I love it too and studied my UG there!!)

How are your studies going currently? Is there anything you're looking forward to the most- freshers', any societies or perhaps getting stuck into med??

Original post by MiriGyu
Hey every1.
I'm applying to med 😩.
I'm really excited to go to uni next year (fingers crossed) I can't wait to leave my city. I went to Leicester's open day in September and the campus and surrounding area is SOOO nice like I was obsessed( could be my firm??)

Good luck all of us✨
Reply 3
I've applied for medical genetics! I really liked the vibes of the uni, I haven't visited the actual city of leicester though. Can anyone tell me more about it?
Original post by isla21!
I've applied for medical genetics! I really liked the vibes of the uni, I haven't visited the actual city of leicester though. Can anyone tell me more about it?

Hey @isla21!

Best of luck!! I'm so glad you liked the vibes of the uni :smile: what was your favourite part? Mine is how pretty the campus is and the student community feel.

I've lived in Leicester for 8 years now so can definitely tell you a bit about the city- there's lots of restaurants, cafes, bars (independent places and chains too) and bowling, cinema, mini-golf! We also have really good shopping at Highcross shopping centre (high street brands and some designer outlets, plus a huge John Lewis!)

The city centre is very walkable from campus, around 10-15 minutes and the city is not huge so you can get around quite easily :smile: It's also very student focussed and affordable because the city has 2 universities (student discount!!!)

If you get made an offer from the University, you'll likely be invited to an offer holder day- this might be a great opportunity to spend an hour or so exploring the city!

Always happy to chat more- Alisha:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by University of Leicester
Hey @isla21!

Best of luck!! I'm so glad you liked the vibes of the uni :smile: what was your favourite part? Mine is how pretty the campus is and the student community feel.

I've lived in Leicester for 8 years now so can definitely tell you a bit about the city- there's lots of restaurants, cafes, bars (independent places and chains too) and bowling, cinema, mini-golf! We also have really good shopping at Highcross shopping centre (high street brands and some designer outlets, plus a huge John Lewis!)

The city centre is very walkable from campus, around 10-15 minutes and the city is not huge so you can get around quite easily :smile: It's also very student focussed and affordable because the city has 2 universities (student discount!!!)

If you get made an offer from the University, you'll likely be invited to an offer holder day- this might be a great opportunity to spend an hour or so exploring the city!

Always happy to chat more- Alisha:smile:

Thank you so much! I will definitely come if I get an offer!
I have applied (and received an offer) for Modern and Contemporary History, really enjoyed the open day and the city when I visited in June/July and am super excited to go to the offer holder day in Feb (although also rather nervous).

What accommodation would you believe was better for first years? the city or the village?
Reply 7
Hello all,I have applied to the bsc creative computing courseCurrently awaiting an offer. 🤞nervous yet excited to move from my city to Leicester next year!Anyone else applying to a computing course?
Original post by Jaffa_224
I have applied (and received an offer) for Modern and Contemporary History, really enjoyed the open day and the city when I visited in June/July and am super excited to go to the offer holder day in Feb (although also rather nervous).

What accommodation would you believe was better for first years? the city or the village?

Hey, how long did it take to get an offer?
Original post by amanra1
Hey, how long did it take to get an offer?

I got an offer from Leicester the day after I realised my application was sent in, although my others took around a week.
I got an offer from Leicester the day after I realised my application was sent in, although my others took around a week.

Did you get a conformation email?
Original post by amanra1
Did you get a conformation email?

Yeah, I got an email from Leicester actually before it updated on UCAS though with my others it was the other way around
Yeah, I got an email from Leicester actually before it updated on UCAS though with my others it was the other way around

when did you apply?
Original post by amanra1
when did you apply?

I submitted my application to my school around early October but it only get sent off to my Universites around early November (that's definitely my schools fault)
I submitted my application to my school around early October but it only get sent off to my Universites around early November (that's definitely my schools fault)

Don't worry I had to chase my referee for 3 weeks before he finally wrote my reference. :frown:
Original post by amanra1
Don't worry I had to chase my referee for 3 weeks before he finally wrote my reference. :frown:

Christ that sounds awful, my school only had 2 teachers checking applications for over 200 students...so it definitely took a while
Hello. I applied today for Mechanical Engineering 😊. I loved the modules and the general vibe of the school.

I'm very excited to start uni next year but I'm nervous about getting an offer. Also, I'll probably have to take the Maths test. I have zero idea what to expect.

Hey @Jaffa_224

Great to hear! And understandably a bit nervous- but don't worry there'll be lots of friendly people on hand during the Offer Holder Day. We have a range of staff, students and support services for you to chat with and help guide you around the university and learn a bit more about what life is like as a student at Leicester!

In terms of accommodation, I would definitely take a look at those on your Offer Holder Day. I stayed in the village (the new Freemans Common site wasn't available when I was a student). Both sites have great facilities, close to uni gyms, games room, places to relax and study. I guess it depends on what you're looking for as the city is modern- like I said just opened, and the village offers a really big range of accommodation types, in a quieter part of the city. Definitely worth checking out more when you visit and let me know what you think!! :biggrin:

Hope you have a great experience- Alisha :smile: (UK Student Recruitment Support Officer)
Original post by Aceful
Hello all,I have applied to the bsc creative computing courseCurrently awaiting an offer. 🤞nervous yet excited to move from my city to Leicester next year!Anyone else applying to a computing course?

Hi @Aceful

Great to hear you've applied! Best of luck:crossedf:

Have you had a change to visit on an Open Day previously or are you coming to an upcoming Offer Holder Day?

I'm happy to help answer any questions you may have- as I mentioned in another post, I studied at Leicester for 8 years (MChem and PhD) so I've had plenty of time to find out all the great stuff!

-Alisha :smile: (UK Student Recruitment Support Officer)
Original post by DarylO
Hello. I applied today for Mechanical Engineering 😊. I loved the modules and the general vibe of the school.

I'm very excited to start uni next year but I'm nervous about getting an offer. Also, I'll probably have to take the Maths test. I have zero idea what to expect.

Hello @DarylO

Congratulations on sending your application in! And so glad to hear you've applied for Leicester- best of luck for your offers!

Great to hear that you loved the modules and the school :biggrin: It's definitely a nerve racking time waiting for those offers, but remember that you've done the best you can with your application :smile: Hopefully this won't happen, but don't write off anything off as a rejection until you've seen it in official writing!! Sometimes it takes time to process the applications (universities get soo many!).

For the maths test, I would definitely wait and see what information the university provide you with, perhaps do some general prep in the mean time. But it might also be worth trying our Unibuddy service and asking a couple of our current engineering students about it? Unibuddy

Let me know how you get on! Always happy to chat more- Alisha :smile: (UK Student Recruitment Support Officer)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending