The Student Room Group

2nd stage Appeal on failed Accelerated Program Adult nursing , still no answer

Hi All,

It's My first query on the student room and I am in a deep situation.

I have submitted an appeal stage 2 as I failed my PGDIP Adult nursing course as a result of non-submission/ late submission of one assignment, thereby failing the module.

This was due to an irregularity procedural caused by a course leader that has provided an announcement of an assignment with the wrong deadline via email (Stating the assignment was due on the 18th of July 2022, whereby it was due on the 11th of July 2022 ).

As a result of her announcement, I worked on the 18th deadline instead of the 11th and was nearly done with about 98 % of the work, as I still had to proofread my work and correct my references.

At that period I was ill, attended A&E and going through financial and family issues at the time. Thus, I went to apply for extenuating circumstances just in case my health was to deteriorate suddenly as I had bad belly ache and diarrhoea.
EC was approved upon proving hospital attendance and discussion with the doctor evidence. And with my extenuating circumstances approved, I still finished my work before the 18th and chose to submit it anyway and when I went to submit it, there was no portal available for submission portal for the assignment, which left me confused.

I contacted the module leader to let her know of what is happening but was told: ''You can't submit it, the portal is closed and can't be re-opened as there was only one deadline, which is the 11th). Notice that she never said '' I made a mistake'' even when I have shown her a copy of her announcement I kept via email. She simply dismissed my claim by saying there was never a deadline of the 18th and that I should go ahead and check the assignment portal since she might have already adjusted/removed that announcement.

On the university portal, the announcement was not there as she mentioned when I check. But thank God I kept a copy of that announcement via email since any announcement made on the university portal is linked to my email.

However I still own the share of responsibility for this as when she sent that announcement, I was going through illness, and a lot of financial, and family issues which made me not to re-check the portal to ensure the dates are exact. But to be honest I never checked the portal for another assignment announcement previously as these announcements come directly from the uni itself and any changes would have come to my email.

Following this incident, Another course leader, who was marking this assignment ( the uni choose another person to mark students' assignments for fair treatment) t let me know there would be another deadline for a 3rd attempt submission on the 15th of August. I did submit it then when the portal opened but my work was not marked. I later asked why and I was told my name was not on the resit list.

I spoke to my tutor and my course director about this situation and I was told to wait for the exam board, which by then had already made a decision of ''non-submission'' as I missed the deadline

Please note that It was my second year taking this module. However, I already passed other assignments and placements and only this was left.

I went ahead and made an appeal when the final result came out with the outcome that I have failed the course due to that non-submission and that I may be able to enrol in the same uni but I could transfer to another uni.

I decided to put an appeal with my course director, and I choose irregularity procedural as I was induced to work on the wrong deadline. I was told I could not appeal under Exterunuating circumstances not being acknowledged as it was my 2nd year taking that module. However, while putting that appeal I also included my circumstances which made me not recheck the portal.

The stage 2 appeal has now passed 15 working days as stated on the policy and I am still with no answers. I am not so sure what to do right now.
(edited 1 year ago)
You have a very good case. There was clearly an procedure irregularity and provided that you have submitted evidence showing that you received an email stating it was due on the 18th, they should let you submit with an uncapped mark.

I know this is probably a really stressful time for you right now but just hold on. Idk about your uni but at mine it takes 30 days max for them to get back with you for a decision for an appeal.

Additionally, you did submit your work in August during the resit period so they will take that on board im sure.

Also, why wasn’t ur name on the resit list? Assuming bc of ur “late” submission your assignment would have been classified as a fail which u should have been notified about and then you should have been given a second chance in August to resubmit ur essay. Tbh the whole department seems unorganised and the course leader should have apologised for their mistake not urs. I’m sure this appeal will go through as it’s clear based on what you have said, they have made a mistake.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you for your reply, it has improved my mood!

I really hope they get back to me as soon as possible really. I am fearful that I may not be able to return immediately on my final year since it has already started and therefore I might have to wait another year (till September 2023) to graduate... Hopefully not

In regards to my name not being on the list, it's what you have stated; as there was no submission the exam board has considered it a Fail. Indeed, she should have apologised. But, I reckon her apologising so would have automatically gotten her into trouble, hence her dismissal and the non-acknowledgement of this error...

In addition, when I was doing the appeal, my course director kept emphasising'' Are you sure you don't want to appeal on irregularity procedural since you've been induced in error by the email sent by your course leader?'' she asked me that question three times until I caught that she was giving me a hint to apply on that ground. Originally I was going for the Approved mitigation circumstances ground but as she kept emphasising the other ground, I caught on it.
Original post by bimbibap
You have a very good case. There was clearly an procedure irregularity and provided that you have submitted evidence showing that you received an email stating it was due on the 18th, they should let you submit with an uncapped mark.

I know this is probably a really stressful time for you right now but just hold on. Idk about your uni but at mine it takes 30 days max for them to get back with you for a decision for an appeal.

Additionally, you did submit your work in August during the resit period so they will take that on board im sure.

Also, why wasn’t ur name on the resit list? Assuming bc of ur “late” submission your assignment would have been classified as a fail which u should have been notified about and then you should have been given a second chance in August to resubmit ur essay. Tbh the whole department seems unorganised and the course leader should have apologised for their mistake not urs. I’m sure this appeal will go through as it’s clear based on what you have said, they have made a mistake.
Original post by Absoluteview
Thank you for your reply, it has improved my mood!

I really hope they get back to me as soon as possible really. I am fearful that I may not be able to return immediately on my final year since it has already started and therefore I might have to wait another year (till September 2023) to graduate... Hopefully not

In regards to my name not being on the list, it's what you have stated; as there was no submission the exam board has considered it a Fail. Indeed, she should have apologised. But, I reckon her apologising so would have automatically gotten her into trouble, hence her dismissal and the non-acknowledgement of this error...

In addition, when I was doing the appeal, my course director kept emphasising'' Are you sure you don't want to appeal on irregularity procedural since you've been induced in error by the email sent by your course leader?'' she asked me that question three times until I caught that she was giving me a hint to apply on that ground. Originally I was going for the Approved mitigation circumstances ground but as she kept emphasising the other ground, I caught on it.

That’s okay. Ik you must be freaking out waiting to hear back but just try and keep urself busy in the mean time, I would say don’t worry but honestly it’s completely okay to feel anxious right now. Maybe you should reach out to ur well-being university services in regards to how waiting for the outcome of this appeal has affected you. My university has something like this but I’m not sure If urs does but it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

I really hope this goes well for you and the appeal is upheld. In regards to starting 2nd year next year, it’s quite late in the year so it could be possible that you will be asked to start next year but message the director of your course and ask for more information and see if it is possible for you to start this year, espc considering the blame does not lie with you. Also message anytime if you have any worries about it and just need to vent!
Reply 5
Hey!
did this ever get resolved?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending