The Student Room Group

Why is it that btec students either don't go to uni or they go but A level students

Go to uni? They don't have the option to not go?
(edited 1 year ago)
Lots of BTEC students go to uni. Lots of AL students don't.
People who knew they wanted to go to university took A-Levels/BTECs in order to meet the entry requirements. Just like you need GCSEs to move onto A-Levels, you need A-Levels to move to university level study. That's not to say that that's a set path and everyone doing A-Levels goes only to university, or that A-Levels are the only way to get to university. Some students realise that the career they want is more accessible through an apprenticeship, or they prefer a different style of teaching than that in university, or they don't like being assessed through exams etc etc. Everyone's academic journey will be different according to their goals, and not all A-Level students will end up going to university. I think the general consensus though is that A-Levels are the most streamlined path to university admission, so that's why you might not hear many stories of A-level students going elsewhere.
Hi there :smile:

Both Btec and A level students have the option to either go or not go to university. I did a mixture of both (in fact I did a ctech too) and am now studying Psychology at uni. However, I have many friends that either took a gap year, went straight into a job, started an apprenticeship or went to university. Nowadays most universities accept Btecs as well as Alevels! As long as you meet the required credits for the course you want to study then there really is no difference. Some people choose not to go to uni with Btecs as apprenticeships may be more easily accessible for the job they want to do. Apprenticeships are also a great way to start making money whilst studying so that appeals to a lot of people. Let mw know if you have any other questions that I can help with.

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Original post by Admit-One
Lots of BTEC students go to uni. Lots of AL students don't.

Sorry I forgot to put why do people assume that btec students don't go to uni and some do go and assume all A Level students are going? Like they literally force you to open up a UCAS account at the end of AS level.
Moved to educational debate.
Original post by quartz_quadrant
People who knew they wanted to go to university took A-Levels/BTECs in order to meet the entry requirements. Just like you need GCSEs to move onto A-Levels, you need A-Levels to move to university level study. That's not to say that that's a set path and everyone doing A-Levels goes only to university, or that A-Levels are the only way to get to university. Some students realise that the career they want is more accessible through an apprenticeship, or they prefer a different style of teaching than that in university, or they don't like being assessed through exams etc etc. Everyone's academic journey will be different according to their goals, and not all A-Level students will end up going to university. I think the general consensus though is that A-Levels are the most streamlined path to university admission, so that's why you might not hear many stories of A-level students going elsewhere.

There are also Access courses for over 19s which can be harder than A levels BTECs because they are part time and only a year long and can include GCSEs along with 3 A levels equivalency .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending