The Student Room Group

i want to go to uni

so context: i have just got my results for two of my subjects, i will be staying for an extra year to complete two more. this year i did a level maths and a cambridge technical in engineering. my results: D* - engineering, D - maths.
i’m really disappointed in my maths result but i was wondering which grades would the unis look at? would it be my top 3 grades? or would they want to look at just a levels? (i’m completing two a levels this year, so in total i’ll have 3 a level and a btec equivalent to one a level)

also, how do people find the motivation? i’m really struggling and my thinking is catastrophising
Good morning @simsenthusiast! :hi: Is your username referring to The Sims games?

I'm not the most knowledgeable regarding vocational qualifications and how these work alongside A Levels, so I'll leave that part of your question for someone else.

As for your question about motivation: getting into university to study something they're passionate about at a specific university is the motivation for a lot of people. You say you want to go to university but you haven't told us why or indicated what course you would like to take. Why do you want to go to university?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by simsenthusiast
so context: i have just got my results for two of my subjects, i will be staying for an extra year to complete two more. this year i did a level maths and a cambridge technical in engineering. my results: D* - engineering, D - maths.
i’m really disappointed in my maths result but i was wondering which grades would the unis look at? would it be my top 3 grades? or would they want to look at just a levels? (i’m completing two a levels this year, so in total i’ll have 3 a level and a btec equivalent to one a level)

also, how do people find the motivation? i’m really struggling and my thinking is catastrophising

So you're planning to apply for September 2024 university entry?
Universities will choose what the conditions of your offer will be, they may ask for particular grades from the two subjects you're doing next year - a university will not put any other conditions on your offer unless you choose to resit Maths.

My advice to you would be to spread out your universities so that there are a range of entry requirements. This puts you in a good position this time next year on the big day :wink:

Hi @simsenthusiast I’m sorry you’re disappointed with your results. The best thing to do is probably to get in contact with some of the universities that you’re interested in going to and checking their websites for entrance requirements.

I found it really helpful to go to open days to find out which courses I’d be likely to be accepted on, but it also increased my motivation to try and get in. Make sure you take regular breaks and look after yourself, there will always be options out there, and your well-being is super important!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by 1582
Good morning @simsenthusiast! :hi: Is your username referring to The Sims games?

I'm not the most knowledgeable regarding vocational qualifications and how these work alongside A Levels, so I'll leave that part of your question for someone else.

As for your question about motivation: getting into university to study something they're passionate about at a specific university is the motivation for a lot of people. You say you want to go to university but you haven't told us why or indicated what course you would like to take. Why do you want to go to university?

hi! yes i am referring to the sims lol

but i’d love to go to uni to study psychology and later go onto working in a school either on the psychology side or as a teacher :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
So you're planning to apply for September 2024 university entry?
Universities will choose what the conditions of your offer will be, they may ask for particular grades from the two subjects you're doing next year - a university will not put any other conditions on your offer unless you choose to resit Maths.

My advice to you would be to spread out your universities so that there are a range of entry requirements. This puts you in a good position this time next year on the big day :wink:

thank you! i’ll take that into consideration :smile:
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @simsenthusiast I’m sorry you’re disappointed with your results. The best thing to do is probably to get in contact with some of the universities that you’re interested in going to and checking their websites for entrance requirements.

I found it really helpful to go to open days to find out which courses I’d be likely to be accepted on, but it also increased my motivation to try and get in. Make sure you take regular breaks and look after yourself, there will always be options out there, and your well-being is super important!

thanks nellie :smile: i’ll do some more research over the next couple of months as i haven’t applied to any unis yet but will be applying to start 2024
hi! yes i am referring to the sims lol

but i’d love to go to uni to study psychology and later go onto working in a school either on the psychology side or as a teacher :smile:

Fabulous. Have you looked at university courses? Finding a a specific course you want to apply to and looking at the requirements to get into it can serve as an excellent motivator to study. For example, knowing that I wanted to apply to do a specific postgraduate course at the University of Glasgow, which required a 2:1 to get into, was my primary motivator to get me through my undergraduate studies. :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8

It depends on what uni you want to go to and the course and your end result in life. some degrees are more competitive like engineering and medicine. However, you might be struggling and overthinking but just try and forget ab it and do what you can do now. If you want to develop start looking into online short courses in the subject of your interest, you need to get better and improve. Life is only a game of soldiers.

Hi @simsenthusiast,

I'm sorry you are disappointed with your results. My piece of advice would be to look at some university courses you have an interest in and see what there entry requirements are and maybe call up if they don't have specifics on maths for any you do really have an interest in. As this may be a way of being able to calm any nerves and avoid and disappointment.

For motivation, I would say what helps is knowing your end goal for example knowing that all this work will hopefully get me into the university I want. As someone has already said going to open days can also solidify this as seeing where you could be is a good way of motivating you. I also find working with friends can help with motivation as this can also help with you being in a relaxing/calming environment and can hold you accountable to getting work done.

Another good way would be making sure you continue having a social life whilst doing your work/revision as I found this prevented me from burning out and helped with my motivation. For example, if I was seeing friends on the weekend I would see this as a reward after having done some work this week and was something to look forward to.

Hope that helps!:smile:

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
thanks nellie :smile: i’ll do some more research over the next couple of months as i haven’t applied to any unis yet but will be applying to start 2024

@simsenthusiast Good to hear! Remember that you've still got a year to get the grades you need for the course you want, so try not to stress too much(although I know that's easier said than done!)

The UCAS website may be a good place to start your research https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/what-and-where-study/how-choose-right-undergraduate-course-you

Hi @simsenthusiast,

The best thing you can do is get researching into the universities that interest you and have a look at their entry requirements for your chosen course. If you would want to discuss clearing you could always get in touch via phone call. Perhaps have a look at the University of Chester? They have a fantastic advisory team on hand today and Friday from 8am-7pm.

Find more details here: https://www1.chester.ac.uk/clearing

Wishing you all the best in whatever you do,
Ellie

Generally, the unis look either just at a levels or just the btec equivalents. However, there are a few exceptions.

It might seem like you will do fine no matter how hard you work on your a levels, but the reality is that you will have a different experience for three years depending on which university you go to. So it is much better to work over your limit during the a level revision period and go to a university you like, then to work as hard as you feel like and end up at a university you don't like.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Original post by 1582
Fabulous. Have you looked at university courses? Finding a a specific course you want to apply to and looking at the requirements to get into it can serve as an excellent motivator to study. For example, knowing that I wanted to apply to do a specific postgraduate course at the University of Glasgow, which required a 2:1 to get into, was my primary motivator to get me through my undergraduate studies. :smile:

yes i’ve looked at cardiff met and bcu at the moment and they’re both around BBC. cardiff met also has tariff points listed so i’m a bit confused on what they’d be looking for?
yes i’ve looked at cardiff met and bcu at the moment and they’re both around BBC. cardiff met also has tariff points listed so i’m a bit confused on what they’d be looking for?

You should find out the full title of your BTEC and how many UCAS points you have been awarded from it, then call up Cardiff met & see if they can consider you with your results.

BTECs come with UCAS points similar to A-levels. UCAS points effectively are used as a method of averaging qualifications for example if you do both A-levels & BTEC (such as yourself). You need to check what you have & what cardiff met are asking for.
Well a D* in engineering is really good and although your Maths is poor (you should probably resit if your plan on 2024 entry) it should get you at least a couple of unconditional offers. You have 5 options so I’d recommend the spread should be 2 aspirational university’s 2 realistic and a safety net uni. The order you put these in your UCAS form doesn’t matter. Make sure your insurance choice is somewhere you actually want to go to so many people (not so much this year actually) get in to there insurance then think “actually I don’t want to go there”so don’t be one of those people. Unis will look at all your grades but usually say like xyz points from - amount of A levels or whatever sometimes they will specify x grade in y subject good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending