The Student Room Group

Dutch Law Unis

On the QS World Rankings for "Law and Legal Studies" Maastricht and Tilburg are ranked higher than VU and Groningen. This shocked me because (for some reason) I always thought VU and Groningen were considered the more prestigious universities in the Netherlands. Can anyone who studies in the Netherlands confirm this?

P.S. Does Leiden do law in English? On StudieLink it had a British flag but on their website, it makes it clear that everything is in Dutch.
Reply 1
I’m not a Dutch student but have known a non Dutch person who went to a Dutch uni and I also went to uni with a Dutch person. So from what I know depending on the uni of course but as a general guide, most universities at bachelor level teach in the language of that country so for example in this case Dutch but depending on the subject it can vary between native language taught or English taught. Masters degrees vary greatly but tend to be more on English taught from what I’ve seen.

In regards to subject you are looking at law in the Netherlands so I will be very shocked if it’s not taught in Dutch. The reason for this being that the law being taught will be Dutch law and therefore you will be learning specific Dutch laws. At the end of the degree, this means you would really only be qualified in instances that require Dutch law so if you want to live there permanently then that’s fine. FYI if you are going to do that, you cannot hold dual citizenship as that is a Dutch law. So that may hold you back as some job sectors may want you to be a Dutch citizen.

If you studied international law there then you maybe fine in wanting to study law in the Netherlands as that is much more likely to be taught in English. An alternative could be studying in the U.K. but then having a course that does an exchange with the Netherlands or a course with a year abroad in the Netherlands.

Hope this helps.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending