The Student Room Group

Wales proposes changes to School term times?

I just saw on yahoo news (https://uk.yahoo.com/news/mass-teaching-exodus-predicted-governments-134932353.html) that the Welsh goverment has proposed some changes to term time the Changes are:

Three school terms of around 13 weeks, with a one-week break half way through. This would result in a five-week summer break rather than six;

Five school terms of around seven to eight weeks with a four week summer break and two week breaks in October, February/March and May and

Six school terms lasting around six to seven weeks. Each school holiday would be around two weeks long except for summer, which would be three weeks.

Personally I think this is a really bad idea it gives both teachers and students less time to recharge which to be honest they need and i opposed by Welsh teaching unions.

The proposed something like the second one back in the late 90's (yeah I'm old) in England the was quickly dismissed much to my relief. what do you think of these proposals and would you support or oppose them?
Does that mean they'll have less holidays? (Sorry for being thick).
Original post by Talkative Toad
Does that mean they'll have less holidays? (Sorry for being thick).

They'll still have some but they won't be as long and TBF the long breaks are necessary for both the teachers and students. As i say the teaching unions oppose it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by jonathanemptage
They'll still have some but they won't be as long and TBF the long breaks are necessary for both the teachers and students. As i say the teaching unions oppose it.

So they'll have less holidays then? (want to know), if that's the case then for once I agree with the teaching unions (dislike them usually) and oppose the move.
Youth of today will be the downfall of society at this rate. Keep em in for longer is what I say.
Original post by Guru Jason
Youth of today will be the downfall of society at this rate. Keep em in for longer is what I say.

Downfall of society? Your generation seems to have done that already. After all, you’re the ones that put us in this mess, and now my generation has to deal with it. Feeling proud yet?

And also, yeah this new proposal is pretty dumb. Although it is just a proposal, and what with all the protests, I doubt that they’ll put it through.
Original post by Huzam001
Downfall of society? Your generation seems to have done that already. After all, you’re the ones that put us in this mess, and now my generation has to deal with it. Feeling proud yet?

And also, yeah this new proposal is pretty dumb. Although it is just a proposal, and what with all the protests, I doubt that they’ll put it through.

if it was up to me, theyd bring back the cane in school.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I just saw on yahoo news (https://uk.yahoo.com/news/mass-teaching-exodus-predicted-governments-134932353.html) that the Welsh goverment has proposed some changes to term time the Changes are:

Three school terms of around 13 weeks, with a one-week break half way through. This would result in a five-week summer break rather than six;

Five school terms of around seven to eight weeks with a four week summer break and two week breaks in October, February/March and May and

Six school terms lasting around six to seven weeks. Each school holiday would be around two weeks long except for summer, which would be three weeks.

Personally I think this is a really bad idea it gives both teachers and students less time to recharge which to be honest they need and i opposed by Welsh teaching unions.

The proposed something like the second one back in the late 90's (yeah I'm old) in England the was quickly dismissed much to my relief. what do you think of these proposals and would you support or oppose them?

What is the purpose of it?

to maintain momentum with kids education? This seems reasonable to me. We don’t need them to bring in the harvest anymore which is what the purpose of the long vacation was.

the multi term system is in place in other parts of the world which I suspect have better educational outcomes.

to look after the vulnerable? A lot of kids sadly don’t have good home lives and often little food during the holidays. Can’t really argue with this to be honest.

ease childcare worries for parents? Again I can see it. The flip side will be those who want to go on holiday and will complain that prices will go up, and parents all being able to take the same two weeks off to go away with their kids if they can.

I understand the point about needing to recharge. But arguably with more breaks during the year they (and teachers) will be less tired.

Presumably they have some primary reason to suggest something like this when they might expect teachers to be less than impressed.

Interesting tho.

How old are you :lol:

Good thing you’re not in charge then :tongue:
Come on now grandpa, let’s get you to bed.
Irrelevant to the thread but if there's one country where we should focus on school kids receiving less holidays it should be France and not the UK (my jealousy is showing here).
Original post by iL1L
How old are you :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending