The Student Room Group

Public Health ST1 Programme 2023 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hello! Well done to all that were longlisted. I was longlisted the last two years and have not been longlisted this year, which I find strange as the application was the same. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks

Did they give feedback why you weren't shortlisted?
No, and the email has not come through either
Hello! Well done to all that were longlisted. I was longlisted the last two years and have not been longlisted this year, which I find strange as the application was the same. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks

:frown: That is really odd. I would email them to check - it could be something really simple which makes their system "computer says no" such as an overlap of employment dates or concurrent studying education and employment time periods. Hope you get it sorted!
Thanks for the positive message. I have now sent an email - If anyone had the same would be good to hear what happened. Thanks
Hi, I am in the same situation. I was longlisted last year. This year with more experience + MPH didn't even got longlisted. Sitting here scratching my head!! was preparing for the exams for last 2 months
Original post by vjoshii
Hi, I am in the same situation. I was longlisted last year. This year with more experience + MPH didn't even got longlisted. Sitting here scratching my head!! was preparing for the exams for last 2 months

The email might still come in - could be they are still sorting out things. I wouldn't give up yet. Another option is to email them as someone suggested.
is there a risk of people becoming complacent with JTP?
also how long is the ideal revision period?

I don't think there's an ideal revision period. The more preparation, the better though. JTP seems to be one of the best prep materials out there. Happy to try out any better alternative that exists.
Original post by username6022598

Hi. Thanks for sharing. I have too been preparing tests for a few weeks. Hope there is an explanation and all the best to you
May I ask to those who were longlisted in the past but not longlisted this year whether you are non-medical route (this is my case)? I wonder if there is a pattern - does anyone know more about the longlisting process (does software do this first perhaps?)
Yes I was applying through the non-medical route. I've had an email back to say it's because the panel believe I don't have enough band 6 experience but have been a band 7 for the last 8 years. I've asked again for my application to be reviewed but not feeling hopeful.
Yes I was applying through the non-medical route. I've had an email back to say it's because the panel believe I don't have enough band 6 experience but have been a band 7 for the last 8 years. I've asked again for my application to be reviewed but not feeling hopeful.

Thanks, mine said that my statement did not demonstrate the relevance of my role. This is strange as I was longlisted the past two years. How do you ask for the application to be reviewed again, also by email or is there a process? Good luck to you, sounds as you should get through.
I've emailed back and asked for it to be relooked at, as I say I'm not feeling hopeful but felt it was worth a try. I was under the impression that if you met the essential criteria you would get an invite to assessment. If this has changed it hasn't been well communicated. Have others applying through the non-medical route had more luck?
Reply 52
I've emailed back and asked for it to be relooked at, as I say I'm not feeling hopeful but felt it was worth a try. I was under the impression that if you met the essential criteria you would get an invite to assessment. If this has changed it hasn't been well communicated. Have others applying through the non-medical route had more luck?

Hi, I have applied through non-medical route and have been longlisted (this year and last). Could it be the relevance to public health at B6 or above that might not be clear? I've known a couple of colleagues who have had this feedback before.
Is anyone else struggling with practice on jobtest prep sjt?
Is anyone else struggling with practice on jobtest prep sjt?

Hi yes I am exactly the same its actually putting me off the assessment centre. Can anyone advise if the question on the JobTestPrep site are reflective of the actual tests? Feeling very disheartened at the moment :-( .
Also an added complication with revision is that I'm living with 2 people who are a nightmare for revision. 1 is showing signs of early onset dementia and is refusing to wear hearing aids which means TV is ridiculously loud. The other is a loud arrogant mad person who is always kicking off over everything.
To add to the preparation woes, the places I did my last 2 ukcat exams aren't doing the pH assessment and the nearest 1 is near a hospital which always has traffic accidents at random times
Original post by AngPH
Hi, I have applied through non-medical route and have been longlisted (this year and last). Could it be the relevance to public health at B6 or above that might not be clear? I've known a couple of colleagues who have had this feedback before.

Thank you for sharing and best of luck with it all to you.
Reply 57
Hi, do you mean the PH SJT or the Watson-Glaser/RANRA practice? I believe for the Watson-Glaser/RANRA exams it is quite similar, but I do agree it is not easy!
Original post by hahus
Hi, do you mean the PH SJT or the Watson-Glaser/RANRA practice? I believe for the Watson-Glaser/RANRA exams it is quite similar, but I do agree it is not easy!

Hi thanks for the reply have you sat them before? I am more worried about the RANRA the questions are not easy and not being allowed a calculator too. Are there 3 separate tests or are the Watson-Glaser/RANRA combined?
Hi thanks for the reply have you sat them before? I am more worried about the RANRA the questions are not easy and not being allowed a calculator too. Are there 3 separate tests or are the Watson-Glaser/RANRA combined?

There are three tests in total: RANRA (has two parts), Watson Glasser (has five parts) and SJT (has two parts). Hope this helps - it is all explained in the documentation and the timings are different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending