The Student Room Group

How do student unions work?

How do you even join one? Where do you meet and when? What do you do?

Lol I'm in year 12. But just curious.
Reply 1
it's like Pupil Leadership Team in secondary school
Well the NUS is the national union of students kind of like a trade unions they organise protests and the like and look after the needs and rights of students you can join at 16.

At university the students union really comes into it’s own most universities have a union bar where you can buy drinks and food (I often got lunch there) also a lot of social events and things like student showcases are done there (some are quite good) there is a lot done for freshers too by the local SU (that’s the union of the university your at .) They will let you know about clubs and societies if you ask ( there will be loads at the freshers fair but they can give you contact details of the captain and stuff if you want to give something a go later in the year. They are there for students if you are having trouble finding a place to live they have an accommodation office and can help you there. If you are called to an academic miss conduct hearing you can ask for a rep to make sure everything goes smoothly they will put on events as I said before if a club is going on a trip like to a snow dome (guess who’s a skier) they have a mini bus they can use. You can go to them if you feel you have been unfairly treated and they will “go into bat for you” they can also advise you on legal matters I think they can also help with financial hardship funds too it’s all run by students and is vital for smooth running of the university from the student side don’t worry about it too much it will all become clear by the time you get to university.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Sop 27

Hey there @Sop 27 !
It's not so much a club you can join, rather a board that the university puts together and they usually plan events. You can also contact them if you have any problems or have any suggestions on how you can make change in the university. Depending on your university, they may not just be one building, I know at some universities they have a club in their student union that hosts student nights and sports society nights but this isn't true of all universities. You're part of the student union the second you enrol and it's not something that hosts regular meetings. You can go there whenever you like provided that you're enrolled in that university. You don't necessarily have to do anything with it, it's just kind of there if you need it.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by Sop 27

Hi there @Sop 27, :smile:

You automatically become a member of the Students’ Union when you enrol, you don't have to use them but they are there to represent the best interests of all students. The Students’ Union is led by students providing advice and support on anything from money matters, to academic issues, housing and more. Through the Student's Union you can join clubs and societies where you can meet like-minded friends, and get involved in social activities outside of your course.

I hope this helps! :smile:

Best wishes,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending