The Student Room Group

Career Choice Advice

I'm at that point of my life where I need to take a decision of what is going to become of me. I'm still a student in a normal high school, mainly going for science subjects because of my family. But I love acting and singing even tho I have never took it seriously because I chose to think that it will be useless anyway since its decided that I'm going for science. But also because I'm quite timid and introverted by nature and have a lot of anxiety problems. There is also the fear of not being good enough for it. You know, the feeling that you are good in something but not excelling in it. I feel like this mostly about everything I do in my everyday life.
Yet here I am actually considering taking an acting career.
It all started because I'm huge walkthrough games fan. The Last of Us in particular is what inspired me to look more into the making of it. That's when I discovered the world of motion capture. I was just so fascinated by it that I thought, "Damn, wish I could something that amazing...". Ye so you get what my main goal is here, getting to be part of a walkthrough game as big as The Last of Us, God of War, Horizon Zero Down etc...
The only thing I could say is that I'm quite good at adapting. I personally am quite good at faking a personality type or emotion to survive in society. It works kinda like a switch to me. Or at least that's what I think, not on a very professional review.
So how can a 17 years old girl, originally going for science, so zero experience in the field, if not recitals in elementary school, with a very compromising character but has interest in taking this path anyway, really achieve something ?
Original post by Rin88
I'm at that point of my life where I need to take a decision of what is going to become of me. I'm still a student in a normal high school, mainly going for science subjects because of my family. But I love acting and singing even tho I have never took it seriously because I chose to think that it will be useless anyway since its decided that I'm going for science. But also because I'm quite timid and introverted by nature and have a lot of anxiety problems. There is also the fear of not being good enough for it. You know, the feeling that you are good in something but not excelling in it. I feel like this mostly about everything I do in my everyday life.
It all started because I'm huge walkthrough games fan. The Last of Us in particular is what inspired me to look more into the making of it. That's when I discovered the world of motion capture. I was just so fascinated by it that I thought, "Damn, wish I could something that amazing...". Ye so you get what my main goal is here, getting to be part of a walkthrough game as big as The Last of Us, God of War, Horizon Zero Down etc...
The only thing I could say is that I'm quite good at adapting. I personally am quite good at faking a personality type or emotion to survive in society. It works kinda like a switch to me. Or at least that's what I think, not on a very professional review.
So how can a 17 years old girl, originally going for science, so zero experience in the field, if not recitals in elementary school, with a very compromising character but has interest in taking this path anyway, really achieve something ?

My suggestion is to do a proper degree and then focus on your interests afterwards. That way, if singing and acting dont work out for you, you have a fall back plan.
Original post by Rin88

Hey,

I am a current 4th year at the uni of Nottingham.

If you are not 100% sure on what you want to do then it might be worth having a year out to try out a few things and discover if you could do something longer term.
There are also options for degrees such as natural sciences and liberal arts.
These degrees are a bit more flexible and allow you to tailor the degree more to you than others. For example, liberal arts has the option to take some modules in sciences as well as humanities.
I studied natural sciences so if you have any questions about either then just let me know and I have left the links below for you to have a look if it sounds like something you could be interested in.
Emily:smile:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/naturalsciences/study-with-us/index.aspx

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Liberal-Arts-BA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending