The Student Room Group

Do I really need to do another year of GCSES for sixth form?

Hi, so I received my GCSES and they weren't the best. I only passed English Lit and Lang, almost passed science. I called up my sixth form too tell them I didn't get four passing grades, someone on the phone from the college said I have too retake all of my Gcses and wait a year to do the college courses I want to do.So a year behind my current year. Yet everyone around me is saying that's nonsense and that I'll be able too take the courses I've chosen this year but just do further maths which I'm happy to do. Enrolment isn't until next Wednesday and I'm so stressed out as I don't think I would be able too handle another year of GCSES . So those who went too sixth form but didn't get four passing grades, did you have do to a full year of gcses again and have too wait to do your courses? I would really like some advice as I don't think I can handle another year of GCSES so I might have too change my college choice.
Original post by megamix950
Hi, so I received my GCSES and they weren't the best. I only passed English Lit and Lang, almost passed science. I called up my sixth form too tell them I didn't get four passing grades, someone on the phone from the college said I have too retake all of my Gcses and wait a year to do the college courses I want to do.So a year behind my current year. Yet everyone around me is saying that's nonsense and that I'll be able too take the courses I've chosen this year but just do further maths which I'm happy to do. Enrolment isn't until next Wednesday and I'm so stressed out as I don't think I would be able too handle another year of GCSES . So those who went too sixth form but didn't get four passing grades, did you have do to a full year of gcses again and have too wait to do your courses? I would really like some advice as I don't think I can handle another year of GCSES so I might have too change my college choice.

https://educationhub.blog.gov.uk/2023/08/24/gcse-results-day-what-to-do-if-you-didnt-get-the-grades-you-were-expecting/
Look at other level 3 qualifications.
Look at another sixth form for A Levels
Look at doing T Levels
Look at doing level 3 apprenticeship
Look at this from the website:
What if I’m not sure what I want to do?

Talk to a National Careers Service (NCS) adviser

Whatever your results, you have lots of options there is more than one route into higher or further education and the workplace, and it’s not always grades which are the most important thing

First of all, you should talk to your school or college to discuss your options. Friends and family can also be a source of support to bounce ideas off, but it can be useful to talk your plans through with an impartial expert.

You can speak to a professional adviser for free and get judgment-free, confidential information and advice via the National Careers Service Exam Results helpline, via phone on 0800 100 900 or by webchat.

Whatever your results, if you want to find out more about all your education and training options, as well as get practical advice about your exam results, visit the National Careers Service page and Get the Jump to explore your study and work choices.

Quick Reply

Latest