The Student Room Group

World Cup

Who else is not feeling the aura of the world cup as it has always been in previous years. There is less talks about the same, enthusiasm is not at the same levels. Could this be an effect of the bribery revelations or the restrictions by the hosting country?
Reply 1
No it's because many people don't want to support a human rights denying country like Qatar. FIFA made and decision and are now paying the price.
The World Cup is in winter and at christmas time this year, a season in which I am not in a good mood generally. That is my personal main reason.
The FIFA is corrupt no doubt about it. And it's not from this World Cup only, this thing has history. However, with this WC in particular, there's so many things wrong, and number one that bothers me are the injuries! I mean, how many players did got injured because of the tight schedule!? Nobody cares about the health of the players, 'cause big money are at stake. Anyway, whether we like it or not, this WC will pass and I just hope that we continue as we started it! C'mon Lions!
Original post by saltfilip
The FIFA is corrupt no doubt about it. And it's not from this World Cup only, this thing has history. However, with this WC in particular, there's so many things wrong, and number one that bothers me are the injuries! I mean, how many players did got injured because of the tight schedule!? Nobody cares about the health of the players, 'cause big money are at stake. Anyway, whether we like it or not, this WC will pass and I just hope that we continue as we started it! C'mon Lions!

You have a very interesting and important point I share. The competitions aren't worth to watch without the best players on the pitch. They need a break to recover, but the tendency goes excactly in the opposite direction. Next time 48 teams are at the world cup, the numbers of matches are increasing, the ones in another competitions too. It is obviously that players get more and more prone to injuries. They are merely human capital in a commercialized sport. A good reason to stop with supporting football in general.
Original post by Kallisto
You have a very interesting and important point I share. The competitions aren't worth to watch without the best players on the pitch. They need a break to recover, but the tendency goes excactly in the opposite direction. Next time 48 teams are at the world cup, the numbers of matches are increasing, the ones in another competitions too. It is obviously that players get more and more prone to injuries. They are merely human capital in a commercialized sport. A good reason to stop with supporting football in general.

You can say that again pal. We as an audience see only the bright sight of being a football player(the fame, the luxurious life). But there's also a dark side of that proffession. Players are being asked to perform at their best all the time, at all cost. And as soon as they start underperform there's always the risk of being replaced, contract not renewed etc.

That's a lot of stress, and it's not strange to me why Ryan Gigs once said: most of the FPL players are desperately longing to retire and save from the torment. I hope I wasn't too protective of the players, they have many benefits as well as I mentioned before. Just wanted to point out the other side of things that we don't see everyday.
Original post by saltfilip
You can say that again pal. We as an audience see only the bright sight of being a football player(the fame, the luxurious life). But there's also a dark side of that proffession. Players are being asked to perform at their best all the time, at all cost. And as soon as they start underperform there's always the risk of being replaced, contract not renewed etc.

That's a lot of stress, and it's not strange to me why Ryan Gigs once said: most of the FPL players are desperately longing to retire and save from the torment. I hope I wasn't too protective of the players, they have many benefits as well as I mentioned before. Just wanted to point out the other side of things that we don't see everyday.

The players nowadays are under pressure more than before. They are everywhere and everytime in the focus of the media and the club and have to be a model non-stop. The reason why the dudes in football with a clear opinions and clear words almost dying out.
Original post by oliviaolivv0101
This year I watched the World Cup, but not with as much pleasure as before...

This year? the world cup was in november and december in 2022. We have February 2023 now. If you werent pleased to watch the matches, why did you do it then?

Quick Reply

Latest