The Student Room Group

How to catch up with private school kids

I'm applying to medicine and I am currently in a private sixth. I've realise because these kids have had years of high-quality education behind them they are so much smarter. I'm going to have to be competing with them in medical school as well. How could I possibly do this?
By focusing on developing yourself. You should only compete with your past, not others. However, you can do this by developing yourself through observing (by asking or researching) what they’re doing that makes you think they are better, and try to co-opt that into your development, if it’ll help you grow in your chosen path. And, also, always make sure to reflect on your past performances to enable you spot room for improvements.
Agree with LegalTom. Also, recognize that you will not be offered admittance if they don’t think you can do it. Put in the work, believe in yourself, adopt a growth mindset, and don’t confuse educational opportunities/experience with intelligence. Best of luck!
Don't make the mistake of assuming that someone is intelligent or more academically capable just because they have been to a private school.
Many private school students have been being 'parked' at a fee paying school by their relatives, having been expelled from multiple grammar or comprehensive schools for criminal activity on the premises.
Some private schools are lousy with unqualified teachers that are inexperienced.
Do not know how to teach or cannot cope with being challenged by disruptive students.

Focus on staying healthy, studying hard and revising effectively to achieve the best possible grades that you can.
Listen to the advice available from those junior doctors and consultants who spend a lot of their spare time volunteering to help the next generations of medicine applicants.
Good luck!
Original post by leoishush
I'm applying to medicine and I am currently in a private sixth. I've realise because these kids have had years of high-quality education behind them they are so much smarter. I'm going to have to be competing with them in medical school as well. How could I possibly do this?

honestly, i'm in the exact same position as you and in year 13 :/

the toxicity gets worser each day unfortunately especially during these months and them constantly coming up to you saying "did you get an interview, what's ur ucat score etc."

My best friend acc dropped medicine bcus they made her feel insecure and she thought she wouldn't be a 'good doctor' because she's not talented and smart enough.

Personally, I just ignore this and stay with my friends who aren't applying to medicine and are in the same position as me (haven't went to a grammar/private since year 7)

Don't worry, if you genuinely wanna do med, don't let that stop you. Unfortunately at university, this will be the case and if you're unable to ignore in school then uni will be more challenging

Always here if you need help :smile: and good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by MedApplicantttt
honestly, i'm in the exact same position as you and in year 13 :/

the toxicity gets worser each day unfortunately especially during these months and them constantly coming up to you saying "did you get an interview, what's ur ucat score etc."

My best friend acc dropped medicine bcus they made her feel insecure and she thought she wouldn't be a 'good doctor' because she's not talented and smart enough.

Personally, I just ignore this and stay with my friends who aren't applying to medicine and are in the same position as me (haven't went to a grammar/private since year 7)

Don't worry, if you genuinely wanna do med, don't let that stop you. Unfortunately at university, this will be the case and if you're unable to ignore in school then uni will be more challenging

Always here if you need help :smile: and good luck!

thanks, its just frustating cause people can try to say that they are not automatically smarter because of private school but if they care about their education then their automatically are. Like I cant stand the constant competition
I’m not sure if this is the case (im not a med applicant) but medical schools may contextualise your application in terms of where you came from so that they emphasise how well you’ve done given your circumstances? I know Oxbridge does this for all candidates but I’m not sure if medical schools do
Reply 7
Original post by sciencegcsesss
I’m not sure if this is the case (im not a med applicant) but medical schools may contextualise your application in terms of where you came from so that they emphasise how well you’ve done given your circumstances? I know Oxbridge does this for all candidates but I’m not sure if medical schools do

I'm dont care about the application. I am not taking about that. Im taking about being with a class full of kids who have had private tutors and all the academic support required to be among the top 10% in the country at the very least and I am going to have to compete with those people for the rest of the life as med school has loads of them
thanks, its just frustating cause people can try to say that they are not automatically smarter because of private school but if they care about their education then their automatically are. Like I cant stand the constant competition

I’m a migrant from Nigeria and I got into Exeter university to study law. I know how you feel and I got social anxiety that prevented me from interacting with my classmates, of which most were from private schools, and that did not help my self esteem.

However, regardless of this low self esteem and imposter syndrome, I’ve interviewed at top law firms Clifford Chance, Freshfields, the civil service, vodafone, and although I didn’t get offers from either the law firms or civil service (still waiting for Vodafone), I learnt that these prestigious institutions did not care where I came from but they saw my talents so much so that I get interviews in such cut-throat application processes.

If you feel like you’ve got imposter syndrome just make sure to look at how far you’ve come and compliment yourself, and just ensure to always improve on your positives and negatives.
Original post by sciencegcsesss

yep, the contextual is true, I'm contextual and because of that, I've received benefits such as lower grades and extra consideration. It's definitely worth looking at
Original post by LegalTom
I’m a migrant from Nigeria and I got into Exeter university to study law. I know how you feel and I got social anxiety that prevented me from interacting with my classmates, of which most were from private schools, and that did not help my self esteem.

However, regardless of this low self esteem and imposter syndrome, I’ve interviewed at top law firms Clifford Chance, Freshfields, the civil service, vodafone, and although I didn’t get offers from either the law firms or civil service (still waiting for Vodafone), I learnt that these prestigious institutions did not care where I came from but they saw my talents so much so that I get interviews in such cut-throat application processes.

If you feel like you’ve got imposter syndrome just make sure to look at how far you’ve come and compliment yourself, and just ensure to always improve on your positives and negatives.

wow, thanks for sharing

Your work experience and the quality of the relationships you make through this and other super curriculars.
Don't even think that you are competing, it's not a good mindset.
You are working towards a goal, lots of fee-paying peops have parents with great connections, this is one of the chief advantages for them for medecine, getting placements is tough, it's not what you know.
So make some friends, be nice, enjoy your time in a well funded institution.
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending