The Student Room Group

A-level Psychology Study Group 2022-2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hi9473
Hi, could you give me advice on how to revise for psychology (AQA A level) as I have not started and I am stressing out? (i am in year 13) :frown:

I'm in year 13 too and the only revision method helping me right now is detailed notes from PMT, YouTube videos, writing some notes with different colours after memorising topics and exam style questions.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 81
Original post by Learner26
I'm in year 13 too and the only revision method helping me right now is detailed notes from PMT, YouTube videos, writing some notes with different colours after memorising topics and exam style questions.

Okay I will try your revision method, thank you :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by Learner26

Also which youtubers do you recommend for psychology?
Original post by hi9473

psychboost is quite good if you do aqa! i haven't found any others, he summarises the papers well & gives ao3 for it :smile:
Original post by Squiggles1238
I finished A level Psychology recently, so I’m more than happy to help anyone with bits they are struggling with :smile:

i have mocks coming up (tomorrow) developmental, social, psychopathology, cognitive basically paper 1 and ive been so stressed i feel like i havent revised and know nothing what do i do its the 2022 past paper questions i think any tips
Original post by iixjessa
psychboost is quite good if you do aqa! i haven't found any others, he summarises the papers well & gives ao3 for it :smile:

i have mocks coming up (tomorrow) developmental, social, psychopathology, cognitive basically paper 1 and ive been so stressed i feel like i havent revised and know nothing what do i do its the 2022 past paper questions i think any tips - im in year 12!!! also doing aqa
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by baffledidiot
i have mocks coming up (tomorrow) developmental, social, psychopathology, cognitive basically paper 1 and ive been so stressed i feel like i havent revised and know nothing what do i do its the 2022 past paper questions i think any tips

Make sure u know the marks for each question like 16marks a01- 6marks A03-10 marks
Discussion 16marker 6 a01 4 marks A02 and 6 marks A03

Also a03 is usually the hardest for everyone try and apply this for every evaluate and discuss a03 question- great acronym to remember GRAVE:

Genralisability
R liability
A application
V validity
E ethics

But don’t stress too much u have so many more times to improve!!
Original post by discordhmmm
Can someone please tell me do you need to have a conclusion in your 16 mark question answers? and if so does anyone have any guidance for the conclusion ?

Hi - I did A level psych last year, got an A*. Definitely don't need an introduction or conclusion. Just focus on getting to the point ASAP and getting all your AO3 points down :smile:
How do you guys revise research methods? I feel like flashcards work for the other topics but not research methods as much
Original post by Idk131
How do you guys revise research methods? I feel like flashcards work for the other topics but not research methods as much

Flashcards are ideal for key terms or terms that you may mix up e.g. types of validity, different experiements. The best method for research methods is just practise questions - answer them as best you can, go back through them with a markscheme and make a note of what topics you got wrong. Then go back to these and re-read or go over your notes/flashcards, and then try more questions. As you do this, you will gradually fill in those gaps.
Original post by Idk131

I do the best in reaserch methods and flash cards are what I use- recommend trying to do well in that cuz it’s 25-30% of the grade
Original post by hi9473

I recommend SMCartledge and psychboost
Original post by khartmann
Hi - I did A level psych last year, got an A*. Definitely don't need an introduction or conclusion. Just focus on getting to the point ASAP and getting all your AO3 points down :smile:

Hey how many A03 paras did u write in a test for 10marks
Original post by Cloudster
I recommend SMCartledge and psychboost

Will try them, thanks!
for edexcel as level psych i made bunch of flashcards on quizlet for the biological psych chapter if anyone needs it
https://quizlet.com/_d5i9fd?x=1qqt&i=48k7zu
hope it helps!
Reply 95
Original post by iixjessa

Okay I will try him and thank you :smile:
Would anyone be willing to share their research methods flashcards (for aqa)? :smile:
Guys is writing about generalisation issues a good enough evaluation point for any animal studies? I think you can't write about ethical issues as a limitation tho
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Idk131
Guys is writing about generalisation issues a good enough evaluation point for any animal studies? I think you can't write about ethical issues as a limitation tho

its relevant as 1. we cant generalize from animals due to the difference in brain structures due to human brains being much more complex whilst animals such as rats brains much smoother thus less surface area 2. different emotional responses from humans thus hard to generalise
however 3. according to Darwin's theory of evolution it ca be argued to be generalizable

and a weakness of using animal s is that it can be wrong ethically thats why laws such as the 'animals act (1968)' and 'guidelines for psychologists working with animals (2012)' exist to ensure the safety of animals
in case anyone doesn't know, there's a girl on tiktok called lilybet, & she made potential 16 markers! (16 markers that haven't come up yet). i'll also type it below:

paper 1:

social influence:
asch's research into conformity
research into conformity to social roles
authoritarian personality
resistance to social influence
research into minority influence
role of social processes in social change

memory:
research related to the features of stm
types of ltm
eyewitness testimony (anxiety)
cognitive interview (most likely)

attachment:
schaffer's stages of attachment
role of the father
strange situation (most likely)
cultural variations
bowlby's theory on maternal deprivation
romanian orphans (most likely)

psychopathology:
behaviour approach to the treatment of phobias
cog approach to explaining depression
biological approach to explaining ocd
biological approach to treating ocd

paper 2:

approaches:
slt - compare w behaviourism?
cog approach
biological approach
psychodynamic approach - compare w another approach?
humanistic approach
comparison of any 2 approaches

biopsych:
plasticity & functional recovery (most likely)
split-brain research (most likely)
circadian rhythms
infradian &/or ultradian rhythms
endogenous pacemakers & exogenous zeitgebers on the sleep/wake cycle

you can find out the 16 markers for your p3 topics using the textbook, on the very last page of each topic (just before the practical part)! also please don't put too much emphasis on this, a question from previous could get repeated, but gl w exams everyone! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending